Talk

Advanced search

ADVISE ON HOME BIRTH....????

(15 Posts)
milosmum Thu 24-Mar-05 19:58:16

Hi, i was looking at having a home birth but really unsure. Considered it for my 1st (now 4) but didnt really get much feedback for the midwives/hospital,etc. He was 8lb 11 when born and i had a lot of intervention. eventually he was born by forceps after i has 2 shots of pethedine, dio morphine and gas and air. i decided then that with my nxt one i WAS NOT going to have any of that again as it completly marred my birth experience and i didnt even realise id given birth until hours, if not days, later. hated the hospital so much i checked myself out after 1 day (they advised i stayed in longer as i need looking after but got 1 visit from a nurse in 8 hours- not the kind of "care" i wanted).... please let me know - all advise greatfully recieved

pupuce Thu 24-Mar-05 20:00:34

You sound like a perfect candidate for a homebirth.
There are quite a few threads on this... I think "everyone" who's had one loved it!

Aero Thu 24-Mar-05 20:04:43

Loads of threads here re homebirth. I had one for no3 and would thoroughly recommend! Decided after dd was born I'd not set foot in a hospital again to give birth (unless absolutely necessary). Was totally fantastic. So much more enjoyable and relaxing and ultimately easier at home imo!

Lilliput Thu 24-Mar-05 20:24:21

my ds was born at home nearly 6 weeks ago and was the most amazing and liberating thing I have ever done. I had no pain relief as I was so un stressed. The community midwives were fantastic, very supportive and tidied up while I showered after the birth. btw the mess is controlable.My recovery after the birth was so much quicker, in fact I was out for a walk with new baby and toddler 24 hours later. With the news filled with the death of a newborn to mrsa a homebirth has to be at least considered.

Katemum Thu 24-Mar-05 20:35:41

i had one for dd, was wonderful, would definately recommend it.

tortoiseshell Thu 24-Mar-05 20:55:34

Loved it, go for it!

hatsoff Thu 24-Mar-05 21:05:42

another fan here. Breast-feeding a new baby in your own bath while someone else makes you cups o tea and tidies up, then falling into your own, comfy clean bad - just fantastic. I also hated the sress first-time round of having to decide when to go to hospital. I felt quite an instinctive urge to BE where the baby was going to be born, so I could feel relaxed and get on with being in labour, and I do think not being there slowed my labour down. But second time around I just didn't have that feeling. One piece of advice though - make sure you ge the midwife there in time. Dh ended up delivering dd2 about ten minutes before midwife arrived. That was a wee bit scarey!

Aero Thu 24-Mar-05 21:07:44

Have a look at this thread from a while ago . Definitely worth it. I wanted to with dd and then got cold feet at the last minute - wish I hadn't as ds2's birth at home was so fantastic (and dd's arrival into the world wasn't great - mostly due to horrid midwife). It restored my faith in good birth experiences!

ionesmum Thu 24-Mar-05 21:38:19

My friend has just had one and it went like a dream. Wish I could but not to be after two sections! Best of luck!

mckenzie Thu 24-Mar-05 21:53:57

I had one 2 weeks ago (water birth at home). Like you I had quite a tough time with no 1 but this time (No 2) it was fantastic. I thoroughly recommend it.

BadgerBadger Thu 24-Mar-05 23:10:42

Milosmum, I had a homebirth with DD2 .
A book that's really good for describing helpful positions for birth is 'active birth' by Janet Balaskas. It explains ways to help widen the pelvis to create the optimum space for LO to exit by . Amongst many other interesting bits and bobs.

milosmum Fri 25-Mar-05 07:48:27

thanks to you all- my husband is a little unsure but it all sounds so positive!!! definatly get that book- all information is good information.

WideWebWitch Fri 25-Mar-05 07:53:50

Hi there, I had both my children at home, there are loads of threads here if you search under the childbirth topic and the word 'home', I would post a link but my PC is taking for ever to open another window, sorry!

WideWebWitch Fri 25-Mar-05 07:54:34

Ah adn search is offline for a bit so I can't anyway, but you could try later.

Amanda3266 Fri 25-Mar-05 08:56:35

Also check out this site for loads of back up info and research regarding safety. Might be worth a look for your hubby too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now