Talk

Advanced search

childbrith and vulva varicous veins

(3 Posts)
myermay Wed 23-Mar-05 16:34:11

Message withdrawn

frogs Wed 23-Mar-05 16:49:15

I had this with all 3 pregnancies. It's unpleasant, but unlike varicose veins in other places, they do go away after the birth. It wasn't a problem during labour but if it looks like you'll need an episiotomy, it's worth alerting the medical staff -- if they cut through one of the veins you will lose quite a bit of blood. This happened to me with dd1 -- it alarmed the staff a bit and made me feel rotten for a while after the birth, but I don't think it was medically dangerous. If you do lose a lot of blood, ask for iron tablets right away, which made a big difference.

In my 2nd and 3rd pregnancies I had tears (quite a big one with my 2nd, who was 10lb!) and there was no problem at all.

Tommy Wed 23-Mar-05 17:07:06

I had them in my 2nd pregnancy - very embarrassing and uncomfortable but they didn't affect the labour and birth which actually was very quick anyway. They went away straight afterwards - I did a lot of sitting on bags of frozen peas seem to remember then I bought myself a "femcare" or something like that which you put in the freezer and then put in your pants - slightly less abvious than the bag of peas.
You have my sympathy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now