Talk

Advanced search

Painful Braxton Hicks - any tips on how to ease them?

(6 Posts)
LenniEd Thu 11-Dec-08 21:03:47

Currently 35+2 with DC2. I've been having painful BH combined with backache and cramping every night for the last 10 days or so. Had lots of BH from about 30wks ish but not painful like this. They are regular contractions but never change in timing or intensity and eventually ease off. Baby is head down. Have seen mw about them and she said there wasn't anything much I could do about it except take paracetomol and try warm baths. Am getting really fed up now since am not sleeping well and running round after a toddler all day. Is there anything I can do to get them to stop? And am I going to be stuck with this for another 5-7 weeks (DD born at 40+2) or will they stop being painful?

LenniEd Thu 11-Dec-08 21:06:59

Should also say GP gave me a course of ABs just in case was a UTI but sample came back clear.

minouminou Thu 11-Dec-08 21:17:32

are you dehydrated? or could you be?
up you water intake and see if the bh's ease

LenniEd Fri 12-Dec-08 17:19:36

Always a possibility I guess although I drink loads of water - 4/5 pints a day plus other drinks too. Have tried to sip water all day today, not really drunk much more but have been constantly drinking iyswim so will see if that makes a difference. Am getting desperate, am so run down now from not sleeping. Thanks minouminou smile

Hi Lenni, having BH too and can't sleep tonight and found this browsing the childbirth threads. I've just been reading up on the birthing naturally net that eating and drinking can help so am sitting here with a pint of water and some crackers! It is sooo exhausting going through this at night and then dealing with a toddler during the day, though I guess it is a bit of practice for what is to come. In addition I'm worrying about whether this is truly the lead up to labour (no, i'm not ready, don't have my birth bag packed and don't even have a cot or baby gros!!!) argghh. I suppose I should try and get some sleep!

LenniEd Mon 15-Dec-08 13:38:46

Hi FLF - mine have eased a little now, but aren't really going at night. Drinking loads helps, but in the middle of the night it isn't helping with sleeping since I'm up to go to loo instead! I'm only 36wks so I'm worrying too - all though no doubt I will still be pregnant in another month! I was going to ask on pregnancy about the BH, might get round to that later. Will let you know if have any other suggestions on how to get rid of them!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now