Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

is it possible for me to have a home birth still?

(10 Posts)
kasef Thu 17-Mar-05 07:07:32

I am still very undecided on this matter.

my second dd2 born new years eve 03 was in the right position, back to belly and was quite quick with no pain untill i was ready to push.

she arrived with a lot of commotion, i had to have three midwives, one on each leg with me on my back to open the pelvis and one to help baby out, in the room as she didn't turn as her head was born and she got a little stuck, not because my pelvis is too small tho. she weighed in at 8bls 7oz.

i was wondering if anyone has had a similar experience to the one i had and whether any other births after went as normal, we are looking at home birth as an option as oldest dd is 10 and wants to be at the birth, i still have to check that she is ok to be in the room at the hospital. i'm not due till 7th july. if the same trend goes with wieghts tho i expect this one to be 9bls, dd1 was 7.9 and dd2 was 8.7.

bathmummy Thu 17-Mar-05 07:45:03

My first baby was born in the hospital with loads of "manual" help to get her out, nothing wrong with her or her position just that she was fairly big for me (almost same weight as yours) and I was very tired (thanks to pethidene etc.). After this I was very anti hospitals as I felt that there had been too much intervention leading to a panic at the end literally tearing her out of me.
Was amazed when a new set of mws told me that I could try for a home birth next time. They said that it would depend on all the usual factors such as blood pressure, health, how the pregnancy had gone, position of the baby etc. but were really positive. They said that a difficult delivery due to size and pushing was not a reason to prevent a home birth in the planning stages. DD2 was a larger baby - 9 lbs 8oz - and they knew she was big but were prepared to try for a home delvery for me. Almost made it but she got stuck in an awkward position right at the end so had an emergency ambulance trip at 10 cms and pushing....ouch! Saying that, pleased I gave it a go as up until that point I felt in control, very pleased to be in my own home and had less drugs and intervention as a result of being calmer and more relaxed.
I would say that it shouldn’t rule out the option but to go with the mws and GPs advice, esp. if your baby is looking like it will be big.
If I had another, even though i was rushed in last minute and was a horrible journey I would try for a home birth again if allowed.

zubb Thu 17-Mar-05 08:12:13

the weight won't make any difference to a home birth, I had ds2 at home and he was 9lb9oz, and am down for a home birth with this one which is likely to be bigger.

I would have thought that a home birth is certainly possible after that birth - you don't mention dd1 - was she more straightforward?

kasef Thu 17-Mar-05 08:45:43

dd1 was pretty much straight forward long but no problems though she was sunny side up and took 14 1/2 hours think that was probably due to not being mobile due to epidural.

Bozza Thu 17-Mar-05 09:20:52

DS was 9 lb 10 oz born in hospital with 2 hour second stageepisiotomy and pushing against midwifes similar to what you describe. Didn't like various aspects of the hospital experience so decided to have no 2 at home. Had some slight issues while pregnant about how big she might be and my iron levels but got these sorted. DD was 8 lb 12 oz and I delivered her stood up at the side of my bed after a 5 1/2 hour labour with 5 mins (probably less) second stage. You are supposed to have two midwives but because I was so quick (didn't ring the hospital until 1 hour before she was born) I only had one and DH had to actually catch DD - which was lovely in itself. It was the most wonderful birth experience you could hope for - so I would say in your circumstances - got for it.

tortoiseshell Thu 17-Mar-05 09:27:24

Yes go for it, unless there are any medical concerns (and I wouldn't include the baby being too big!). I had a 10lb+ baby at home, and was fine. Hope all goes well.

WideWebWitch Thu 17-Mar-05 11:39:44

I had both at home, ds was 7lb and dd, born 6 years later, was 9lb 8oz. Go for it!

elliott Thu 17-Mar-05 11:48:46

I would have thought so, yes - but it might be an idea to find out as much as possible about what happened with your last birth. One thing to remember is that if you can give birth upright (standing or kneeling) that is the best position to allow a large-ish baby out, and this might be more possible at home. I had a home birth for my second who was 9lb 2oz (first one 7lb 1oz!) and had no tears and about a 5min second stage - gave birth kneeling.

Bozza Thu 17-Mar-05 12:39:45

Ooh yes forgot to mention only small tear and no stitching with DD. Think elliott's point about position is a good one.

Amanda3266 Thu 17-Mar-05 13:14:36

Yep - echoing elliott here. I used to be a midwife and women in upright, forward leaning positions do better on the whole with pushing. It increases the pelvic outlet slightly and therefore makes pushing easier. For an actual demo of this - sit/kneel on the floor. Place one hand on your pubic bone and one hand on your sacrum (base of your spine). Imagine you have a piece of string connecting them and try leaning forwards and back and feel what happens to that "string".

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now