Talk

Advanced search

One day past due, BP up and trace of protein in urine, what will consultant suggest?

(7 Posts)
MimieD Mon 03-Nov-08 15:33:59

Seeing my consultant in two days, midwife believes hospital may want to induce although they won't do full dose as I've had a previous CS (elective because of breech )...
Does anyone have previous experience of sudden onset of pre-eclampsia after due date? Will they do an internal examination first? I mean how much use is an induction is my cervix is still high and hard sad. Baby is only 1/5 engaged as well... At this point I don't really care how this baby comes out as long as it's healthy but am not sure if I agree with induction or go with an elective CS...

MarkStretch Mon 03-Nov-08 15:38:48

This happened to me.

Went in on my due date with dd with high BP and protein and they kept me on an ante-natal ward for 3 days before they said 'ah well, no point keeping her in any longer!' and induced me.

MarkStretch Mon 03-Nov-08 15:40:29

Meant to say- ended up having a section with dd following my induction and have been wondering what they will do if this happens again as currently pg with dc2.

I thought they didn't do inductions if you are having a VBAC?

MimieD Mon 03-Nov-08 15:48:42

Hi MS, No way are they keeping me in without actually doing anything shock! Actually the hospital I go to is renowned for discharging you asap so don't think this will happen anyway... When I see my consultant I will be 40+3 so already past due.

It depends on your hospital if they induce or not. Mine does low dose inductions if you've had a previous CS but one of my friends ended up with an automatic CS because they would not induce at all even though her last CS had been 6 years previous... Have you been invited to attend a VBAC clinic? This was very very helpful as a midwife will discuss all options and hospital policies with you. Mine lasted almost an hour...

MarkStretch Mon 03-Nov-08 16:13:11

No, Not much VBAC support really- my cs was 6 yrs ago too and I've been told if I go overdue this time they will give me another cs as routine which I am desperate to avoid.

My few days in hospital were actually ok as I got to lie about and read a lot! Apart from every time you pee you have to pee in a jug and measure your protein. That can be a real drag.

From my experience what the consultant says is often quite different from the midwife- are you finding this?

My midwife said VBAC, my consultant said elective at 39 weeks, hmmm.

MimieD Mon 03-Nov-08 16:20:46

Hmm, bugger your hospital... Midwifery unit I'm with has been great and in full support of VBAC, just like consultant. BUT because of pre-eclampsia situation now, not sure what best course of action is....

Are they not giving you a choice at all - VBAC or Elective (funny word in this case)? You may not develop any pre-eclampsia this time round (it is more common in first time pregnancies) and go into labour spontaneously. Don't let the consultant talk you into a CS!

MarkStretch Mon 03-Nov-08 17:15:27

I am seeing my consultant in 2 weeks so might have to pin him down on their procedures.

Hope it all goes well for you smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now