Talk

Advanced search

Is there a need for a postnatal support package from independent midwives?

(16 Posts)
daisybaby Fri 31-Oct-08 19:45:06

As we all know, midwifery visits during the postnatal period are now very few. Does anyone think that a postnatal support package of eg. daily, or alternate day, visits for 2 weeks following the birth would work well?
This wouldn't include labour/birth care, but just postnatal care, to be given by an independent midwife.

poppy34 Fri 31-Oct-08 19:46:18

yes I had exactly this from independent midwife -it was fantastic for first time mother. She did usual mother/baby checks but was able to give me loads of support re feeding, changing, washing etc

lulalullabye Fri 31-Oct-08 19:47:11

I really enjoyed having my IM visiting once a week for 6 wks post natal, and for the amount you pay, would also expect that !

poppy34 Fri 31-Oct-08 19:47:55

this m/w wasn't at birth -just postnatal stuff.

daisybaby Fri 31-Oct-08 19:48:19

Would anyone in the Derby/Burton areas be interested in this service?

FiveGoMadInDorset Fri 31-Oct-08 19:50:15

Would be a great idea. I was very lucky as my community MW's didn't have a lot of time for the new guidelines and I was seen every day for the first 14 days, finally signed of on day 17, but I do know that that is the exception to the rule.

TattyCatty Fri 31-Oct-08 19:54:55

Yes - absolutely. I was very fortunate to have my wonderful mum around for the first 4 weeks, and the dedicated postnatal support was the best thing I could have had. In her absence, if I could have paid for somebody to do the same, then I definitely would have done. I did see a midwife every day for the first 3 weeks, but that was because I had a very poorly fanjo!

poppy34 Fri 31-Oct-08 19:56:02

pmsl at tattycatty post (sorry shouldn't laugh as I too was similarly afflicted) -but you are right that having daily care when you're not sure what is normal etc in terms of pain etc (on top of all baby stuff) is so good.

frazzledoldbag34 Fri 31-Oct-08 20:13:26

I'd have LOVED that with both my babies.
And I would be willing to pay for that kind of service with my 3rd - due in May09. I live in Scotland though.....maybe a bit far from Derby!
(I would have liked this mainly for support/help with b/feeding as I STRUGGLE horribly with it in the first 6 wks or so. And my DD2 lost a lot of weight, jaundiced, reflux, tongue tie etc and was hard to cope). Total nightmare.
So in short - YES! Sounds wonderful.

Howdie Fri 31-Oct-08 21:57:32

I am an IM in Scotland Frazz. I have been approached to offer this kind of service before and it's something I would consider doing depending on the rest of my workload. It can be difficult though as one of the benefits of continuity of care when having the "full package" from an IM is that she knows you a/n, has been present at your birth and is therefore potentially better able to understand some of the issues that may present postnatally and why they are happening.

Postnatal care is and always has been seen as the cinderella service area of midwifery and it gets slowly worse and worse as women get less and less visits, it's shocking. I don't think it's quite so bad in Scotland but in some parts of London, women are lucky to get 2-3 postnatal visits.

NHS midwives visit typically up to day 10. I visit for 28 days or up to 6 weeks if there are problems and in many cases, the problems women encounter don't happen until after day 10 - mastitis/engorgement/perineal pain/colic etc.

daisybaby Fri 31-Oct-08 22:03:02

Howdie, it's not just in London that women are lucky to get 2 or 3 p/n visits. In many areas of the country, 3 is considered as standard, with extra visits only if necessary and justifiable. One of those 3 visits is usually done by a 'maternity support worker' as well.
I dread to think how many really important things are being missed by these new NHS standards.

Howdie Fri 31-Oct-08 22:43:22

I agree Daisybaby and that was exactly what I was eluding to in the thread on neonatal infections I have just posted on.

frazzledoldbag34 Sat 01-Nov-08 09:13:04

Howdie where abouts in Scotland are you? I am in the Tayside area.
I must admit, last time I did have lots of postnatal visits (we needed it, got sent in to special care with jaundice etc - hideous!) - but the thing I didn't like was that it was usually someone different that came to the house each time. There was a fabulous midwife who came a couple of days (so fantastic, I would have given up on b/f without her). But unfortunately most days it was someone new who I would have to explain everything to and who then gave different advice from the previous midwife. Confusing and a bit frustrating.
(Same could be said for labour though tbh).

Howdie Sat 01-Nov-08 21:51:50

Hi Frazz. I'm in Lothian. I agree with you that it can be so frustrating when you don't see the same person two days running. It makes being a midwife so much easier when you are the one seeing that baby every day, especially with something like jaundice where the interpretation of level of jaundice can be so subjective.

frazzledoldbag34 Mon 03-Nov-08 11:49:02

Howdie - shame you're a bit far away. I don't think there are any independent midwives where we are (Broughty Ferry, Dundee). We lived in Edinburgh when DD1 was born - but didn't consider an independent midwife then (almost 8 yrs ago). As I said on another thread I am actually a qualified m/w (but haven't worked in m/w for about 11 yrs) but imagined that when I had my kids I'd absolutely know what I was doing with breastfeeding etc - WRONG! And now am expecting no3 and still worrying about it.

I also totally agree that it makes the m/w job so much harder if there is a lack of continuity. I bet you love your job for that reason. My sil had independent midwives for her last baby (in London) and she loved the experience - she said they were wonderful.

Howdie Mon 03-Nov-08 22:47:55

Hey Frazz

Well it's not outwith the realms of possibility as most of the IMs in Scotland have to travel pretty far and wide as there are only 5 of us covering a pretty wide area. The furthest I've gone so far is just over an hour's drive for me to Stirling or to the Borders. There is an IM in Kinross who is a bit nearer you though. Don't know if there is a facility to send a private message on here. If so, feel free to send me one and I can give you details of the IM nearer you if you're interested. Or, there are some doulas in your area that I could recommend.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now