Talk

Advanced search

Questions for those of you who had a baby that got seriously stuck during the pushing stage. What happened next time?

(36 Posts)
ShowOfHands Wed 29-Oct-08 14:34:57

I pushed for 6 hours during a planned homebirth before I transferred to hospital. I ended up with 3 ventouse attempts, episiotomy and attempted manual rotation. This all having failed, dd was born by em cs. She was LOT, head on one side (ventouse scar by her ear) and her head was moulded to my pelvis. She did not descend at all from beginning of 2nd stage to em cs, even the ventouse made no impression.

So... if your baby got stuck and you went on to have more children...

Did you manage a vaginal delivery?
Does having already dilated to 10cm and had a good go at pushing mean it's not like a first labour all over again?
Did the same thing happen again?

CoteDAzur Wed 29-Oct-08 14:40:16

For next time, it sounds like you need what is called a "pelvis scan" towards the end of your pregnancy, which is a low-intensity x-ray (safe for baby) that shows the baby's head & shoulders in your pelvis. Measurements are taken that show whether or not baby can pass from your pelvis.

I can't believe they did an episiotomy before they knew baby could pass through pelvis shock

ShowOfHands Wed 29-Oct-08 14:46:28

Is that something you can just request? I am terrified, nay petrified of ever having another in case the same thing happens again. I'm probably asking the unknown as I want to know whether it's my pelvis that's the problem or if it was bad luck.

I presume the episiotomy aided the surgeon in putting both his hands in there and having a good go at pushing dd back up from whence she came. Didn't work. <<shudder>>

DippyDora Wed 29-Oct-08 14:53:17

Oh poor you show of hands.

My dd got stuck on my pelvic bone. I pushed for just under 2 hours before being given an em cs.

They said if they used forceps they would damage me as she was so high up.

I dont know if it helps but my surgeon told me I would be ok for a VABC next time, he said it was just one of them things and nothing to do with my body.

But I am scared for next so I can complely understand how you are feeling. A pelvic scan sounds like a great idea.
I am already considering an elected cs and I'm not even pg with number 2!

CandleQueen Wed 29-Oct-08 14:55:54

Can't really comment on pelvis problems but DS1 was delivered (eventually) by forceps. 40 from start of induction to delivery. All through pushing stage MW's were saying "I can feel a head, not sure which bit though." Turns out he was trying to come out ear first. Now has lovely forceps scars on back of head and eyebrow.
DS2 born in 7hrs (from first contraction to delivery) with only G&A. He literally popped out. The pushing stage (in fact, everything) was so much easier - my body knew what it was doing and just got on with it.
Only real problems post-natal was that my previous episiotomy scar tore, so I had a 2nd degree tear to be stitched.
My fanjo looks like a patchwork quilt!

ShowOfHands Wed 29-Oct-08 14:57:59

Yes Dora, they wouldn't try forceps for the same reason. It says no contra-indications for vbac on my notes but not sure if that's a thumbs up for my pelvis or just what they write.

I currently think dd might be an only. sad

Lizzylou Wed 29-Oct-08 14:59:24

I pushed for ages with DS1, he was eventually born by ventouse, he'd got stuck. I was prepped for em C/s but walking to the surgery (luckily I insisted on walking) I had two massive cntractions and he came down so ventouse worked. Wierd as I'd been fairly mobile and had been pushing on all fours before.

DS2 was also ventouse, he got stuck as well, mainly due to his size (he was 10lb 11oz). It was a totally different labour though, far quicker (was 48hrs with DS1) so I guess my body was "prepped" having already been through labour before.

Have you spoken to your MW/Consultant? Was it simply the position of your DD?

ShowOfHands Wed 29-Oct-08 15:01:34

CQ, that's encouraging. DD was ear first.

Patchwork quilts are rather now if that comforts you. grin

DippyDora Wed 29-Oct-08 15:06:52

I googled contra - indications and found this

"Any symptom or situation that might put you at increased risk for an otherwise recommended treatment or situations where the risks are greater"

So maybe a no for a VBAC.

You need to speak to your midwife.

Would not consider a planned cs?

ShowOfHands Wed 29-Oct-08 15:07:02

My notes just detail her position as odd. They don't mention my pelvis.

chequersandchess Wed 29-Oct-08 15:08:04

I want to know exactly the same as DD was stuck, head in wrong position and had failed ventouse and successful forceps.

Really feel atm that I would only do it again if elective cs were possible.

DippyDora Wed 29-Oct-08 15:08:48

I've read a lot on MN about women who have had a planned CS and nearly all say they have been a calm, positive experience. A complete opposite to an em cs.

ShowOfHands Wed 29-Oct-08 15:10:33

No, it's no contra-indications on my notes but I don't know if this is standard scribble for a baby that was stuck in the second stage or an actual comment on me as an individual iyswim.

I wouldn't want an elective cs if I can avoid it so probably wouldn't have another if I knew that was the only way. I'd like to enter another pg knowing that I at least stood a chance of a vbac.

DippyDora Wed 29-Oct-08 15:12:13

The only way you'll know is by speaking to your doctor.

I think its a shame to let this stop you having another dc if you want another

fillybuster Wed 29-Oct-08 15:13:08

Nothing as bad as yours, but ds was induced 12 days late, was back to back and got very stuck. Eventually delivered by ventouse but they were already prepping me for a c-section after 27 hours of nothing happening. Part of the problem was that he was 99th centile for size but no-one had noticed as my bump had been 'normal' throughout.

DD - also back to back, but she did turn towards the end. I insisted on a 36 week growth scan and she was also 99th centile but arrived on her own only 5 days late - I think this made a bit of a difference as she was fractionally smaller. Anyway, she didn't get stuck and got out on her own (although she did a lot of damage on the way!).

Good luck whatever happens.

ShowOfHands Wed 29-Oct-08 15:18:47

I'm not sure speaking to a doctor would help. They can only read my notes after all and I can do that for myself.

It is a shame that it might stop me but I've had ptsd since the birth and I wouldn't enter a pg feeling as negatively as I do about childbirth.

fillybuster, dd was 7lb 12oz, so a normal size but if I couldn't manage her then anything bigger- as second babies generally are- might be equally as unlikely to come out the conventional way.

SharkyandGeorge Wed 29-Oct-08 15:22:25

My DD1 got stuck although they did manage to get her out by forceps although caused me lots of bruising and tearing.

I was terrified about my next birth and had councelling throughout my pregnancy. I went for another vaginal birth in the end.

Pushing stage went really well, DD2 came out in 15 minutes with no problems at all.

However slightly different as I had already had a baby come out that way, even if she was dragged out rather than pushed.

DippyDora Wed 29-Oct-08 15:23:33

A doctor would be able to explain your notes to you and clear up your confusion over contra-indications

WhereWolfTheWildThingsWere Wed 29-Oct-08 15:28:15

Ds was spine to spine and a face/brow presentation with the cord around his neck 3 times hmm, I pushed for 3 hours, was a failed ventouse, delivered him with forceps.

Was terrified of it happening again, everyone said 'oh no you'll be fine this time, lightning doesn't strike twice and all that' hmm again.

Dd was spine to spine and a face/brow presentation hmmhmm. But my labour was just 5 1/2 hours and I pushed her out [proud emoticon] (was shockingly painful though).

I do think your body behaves in a different way 2nd time round.

Good luck whatever you decide.

MrsTittleMouse Wed 29-Oct-08 16:50:09

Aha! This just happened to me. DD1 - did OFP, but DD was OP - no descent at all despite active labour and upright positions and pushing hard enough (and in the right direction) to give myself piles. blush

DD2 - did OFP - DD2 was OA (more room in the pelvis to turn? - she was OP at 34 weeks.). Did the upright active labour again and pushed her out.

I don't want to sugar-coat it though, as the second stage was quite long and very difficult. I didn't think that I could get her out - neither did DH and neither did the midwife! She kept sliding all the way back up, which was very disheartening, and the only way that I got her out was being in supported squat and "purple pushing". And that was also with a smaller baby too.

My birth plan this time around was that if anything at all looked like it was going wrong that they would not fart around with instrumental or induction or anything else, but just head straight to a C section. I had this drilled into DH just in case, as I felt very messed around with last time and the recovery was awful.

Cote - I think that when the baby is so high up that they have to do an episiotomy to get the ventouse/forceps far enough up to get to the baby's head.

littlelamb Wed 29-Oct-08 16:56:27

Both of mine were back to back. With dd I was on my back after induction and epidural, pushing for 2 hours. SHe did not turn, and was born facing upwards.
WIth ds he was back to back but managed to turn in labour, I think because I stayed upright. I was expecting a long pushing stage again, but he was out in 2 or 3 pushes, much to my great surprise.

CandleQueen Wed 29-Oct-08 17:39:59

I had similar birth plan to MrsT with DS2. After trauma of Ds1's delivery, I made it very clear that I wanted no mucking around - if he wasn't coming out by himself, I wanted a CS!
Like I said before, my body took over and he came quite quickly and calmly (still blardy hurt though!)

ShowOfHands Wed 29-Oct-08 18:02:33

With dd I pushed and pushed and pushed. I tore muscles and burst blood vessels. I had no urge to push either but tried every conceivable position- assisted squat, hands and knees, on side, on loo, standing, kneeling up, leaning on dh etc etc. I am quite happy to have the long and painful labour but don't want to go through all that again to suffer the indignity of the intervention. The recovery from a cs and a rather extensive episiotomy at the same time wasn't the best fun.

Well done to all of you for managing to even be brave enough get pg again after less than straightforward first labours. I'm such a bloody idiot about this thing. It's been 18 months and I'm still wittering and dwelling.

wahwah Wed 29-Oct-08 20:18:10

I was in second stage with DS for about 6 hours. Pushing, pushing and more flipping pushing. Unfortunately he had wrapped his arm (and cord) around his neck. I had the most fantastic midwife who tried everything and let me go for as long as I did because it was a home birth and she was happy that neither of us were in distress. I needed an episiotomy (5 stitches, so quite small I think?) and delivered with one foot against the chimney breat and the other being held by the second midwife.

Fortunately DD was absolutely fine and I spent the grand total of 20 minutes in second stage. I couldn't believe it was so fast and like CandleQueen, my body took over and it felt like she just shot out into the pool. I don't remember actually having to make an effort to push, it just seemed to happen.

FWIW, the 1st stage was a breeze as I knew what to expect and didn't last as long as the first time.

Good luck.

foxinsocks Wed 29-Oct-08 20:22:39

oh poor you show of hands.

Dd took no time in comparison to you but I pushed for 2 hours and was told (and indeed ahem I told them because I was exhausted) that the next step would have been c-section because she was just not coming out (turned out to have a very large head). She came out naturally in the end but it was very stressful.

if it makes you feel any better, ds (second child) errm shot out like a gunshot. I was quite scared of the pushing stage this time round and actually refused to let them do an internal to find out if I was 10cm because I couldn't bear to be told to start pushing again and then, before I knew it, it was all over in about 5 mins. He was long and thin, hence the difference.

I totally agree about asking for the late pelvis scan. I know they can't guarantee anything but it might make you feel better if noting else.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now