Talk

Advanced search

Got questions about giving birth? Know what to expect and when to expect it, with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Membrane sweep at 35 weeks

(10 Posts)
iMum Sun 26-Oct-08 17:46:40

Im having this done tomorrow and then again on Friday if it doesnt work in any case I am booked in next Monday for a medical induction.

This will be my 4th baby and 3rd induced labour at 36 weeks my firstborn being induced at 38.

I spose im just asking what the likelyhood of it working are? my last labour was by far the worst in terms of lenght and pain (but at least the result was wonderful!) Ive been "at it" like you wouldnt believe in the hope of softening things up but really am I getting all excited over a no chancer?

LackaDAISYcal Sun 26-Oct-08 17:52:00

Hi iMum smile

As far as I understand it, a membrane sweep, like other forms of non medical induction, will only work if things are favourable anyway which would seem unlikely at 35 weeks.

Why are you being induced again?

lulumama Sun 26-Oct-08 17:52:39

why are you going to be induced 4 weeks early

iMum Sun 26-Oct-08 17:56:16

Hello lacka, The induction is because my dd was stillborn at 38 weeks. They couldnt determine a reason for her death so induce me at 36 weeks to avoid it happening again. My midwife offered to do the sweep as my last labour was so long and very very painful compared to the one prior to that when I had a sweep and things seemed a bit easier however that was nearly 7 years ago so my memories of it may be rosy!

So lets hope the bonking has paid off and things are in mine and babys favour-am into hops tomorrow as well for my first lot of steroids for bubs lungs.

pushchair Sun 26-Oct-08 17:59:34

Had a sweep as two other pgs ended in induced labours at 42 weeks. It worked a treat. Quite a lot of intense rummaging around and the 'pulling forward' of my cervix. Waters broke next day and DD born 36 hours later. The very best of luck to you.x

LackaDAISYcal Sun 26-Oct-08 18:05:17

Oh, iMum, I'm sorry sad. Sorry for being insensitive and nosy blush and for asking again if you've already said on the November thread.

LackaDAISYcal Sun 26-Oct-08 18:06:30

what about some reflexology, accupuncture or homeopathy to help?

there is an interesting thread on caullophyllum at the minute.

lulumama Sun 26-Oct-08 18:07:34

am sos sorry for the loss of your precious baby sad

wishing you well for this birth

iMum Sun 26-Oct-08 18:09:21

Oh dont worry! I dont think ive mentioned it on the november thread as I dont really like to "scare" preggy mums to be! although am sure that many on there have their own fears and worries just as grave.
I just so want to go into labour naturally (or as naturally as possible )and at the moment every day that goes by is one day close to disaster in my mind, silly I realise but not much I can do about that}. In any case November 3rd will be the day for the all guns blazing "get 'im out" induction so will obvs keep the november board posted!

LackaDAISYcal Sun 26-Oct-08 23:06:57

good Luck for tomorrow iMum smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: