Talk

Advanced search

Got questions about giving birth? Know what to expect and when to expect it, with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

can you tear forwards if you go for gravity assisted birth?

(8 Posts)
chocbiscuits Sat 25-Oct-08 23:13:04

I really want to try and deliver in more of an all fours/gravity assisted position rather than the old on the back business.
Is there more danger of tearing in this position because it seems that they wouldn't perhaps be able to see whats going on so well?
Also could you tear forwards because babys head/gravity would push towards the front rather than perineum wouldn't it?

PhantomOfTheChocolateCake Sat 25-Oct-08 23:29:10

It's not gravity, it's the speed at which the baby's head crowns and is delivered. I has upright no my knees and till tore. It's important to listen to the midwife during labour, she'll do her best to guide you.

MrsTittleMouse Sat 25-Oct-08 23:42:13

I did all my labouring and pushing either on all fours or upright. The midwife was able to see everything going on - well enough to be concerned about tearing and call in a senior midwife right at the end as she thought that I might need an episiotomy (which she knew I didn't want). I agree with *chocolate Cake* - the most important thing to do is to try not to push like crazy at the end. I did end up with a small tear, but it was my perineum that went, by the way.

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Sun 26-Oct-08 11:42:25

i was standing up and tore along the perineum. massive contraction and pushed too hard!

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Sun 26-Oct-08 11:42:50

but i would recommend standing up!

chocbiscuits Mon 27-Oct-08 21:08:20

Cheers for comments, will also think about trying to stand as can see that would be more gravity assisted then!

Alishanty Fri 31-Oct-08 14:32:07

I tore forwards with my first and I was kneeling up against the headboard on the bed. Very painful. However second time round I was upright but in water and had a slight graze towards the back.

Howdie Sat 01-Nov-08 22:08:44

Tears extending up the way towards the clitoris are pretty rare to be honest and are more associated with babies who birth in very awkward positions and perhaps have a hand up above their head etc than by birth position.

Good advice given already about taking it easy at the pushing stage and not pushing for all your worth at the crowning stage, gentle short pushes guided by what your body is telling you or by the voice of your midwife is the best way to go - and then don't let them haul the bloody shoulders out and cause damage that a slowly birthed head hasn't!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: