Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Just wondering about Midwife and HV visits when you get home...

(6 Posts)
lauraloola Thu 23-Oct-08 15:53:54

Do you have to have them or can you opt out?

Just wondering as I found them completly useless and a waste of my day sitting in waiting. Would much rather have taken dd to the clinic. Obviously if there was a problem then it may be necessary but next time I would rather opt out - Can you do this??

LittleMyDancingWithTheDevil Thu 23-Oct-08 15:55:06

think the midwife ones are pretty much compulsory, but once she's signed you off to the HV then it's up to you what you do.

littleducks Thu 23-Oct-08 15:58:25

i wouldnt opt out of the first visit and then you can tell community midwife yourself that you dont require another visit until day 10 when you will be discharged/at all and will phone if any problems, they can then tell you if you require anything-we had heel prick test at home.

you can opt out of all hv visits but in my area they do a hearing test on their visit not sure if you would want/need that

EmKathryn Thu 23-Oct-08 16:05:31

Not sure you can opt out, but after my second ds I would try and opt out if we have a number 3!

In my area they do hearing tests in hospital, post natal visits are to check on you and baby but I was very disappointed. Was desperate to have second ds' tongue tie looked at/cut, but they offered me no help and breastfeeding failed.

a11 Thu 23-Oct-08 16:15:56

You don't have to have any visits if you don't want to. However, it might be easier to have 1 mw visit and arrange another one for day 10 and say you'll call her if you need her before then. Re HV easier to have initial assessment visit and then agree to see her at clinic or ring her if any problems. If everything is straightforward then you don't need to see them and they don't really need to see you. There's probably a scheme of visits that they're supposed to offer but they'll be fine if you don't want them all.

janinlondon Thu 23-Oct-08 16:29:06

No midwife ever came to see me after DD was born. I had to present at A&E and ask for my staples to be removed as the skin was growing over them (yeuch!).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now