Talk

Advanced search

placenta

(7 Posts)
mamatilly Sun 19-Oct-08 21:37:34

does anyone have any lovely plans for their placenta after the birth, perhaps as part of a birth celebration ritual, planting it with a tree to celebrate baby, releasing it to a river/ocean, or even planning to eat it to help recoup iron/vitamins/energy etc...

DevilishDisasterArea Sun 19-Oct-08 21:42:21

we ate part of ours at my babies naming ceremony.
the other half we took with us on a journey to all our favourite and spiritual places across the globe and finally released it into the ganges,
was a very special time

mamatilly Sun 19-Oct-08 21:47:45

hey devilish, that's beautiful.... the ganges a very special river x

i still have placenta from first birth in freezer, waiting for us to buy some land and then plant it, but with second birth i am considering eating some, just because i was so physically weak afterwards last time... how did you cook it....

xxx

DevilishDisasterArea Sun 19-Oct-08 21:51:35

fried it in ghee wth coriander. nice. a little chewey but o.k.

BlueChampagne Wed 22-Oct-08 13:34:24

Nah - mine went to scientific research

notcitrus Fri 24-Oct-08 17:13:55

I planned to eat mine, but as baby and I had to stay in hospital for 3 days, MrNC put it in the freezer. So it was froze solid when I had baby blues and wanted it, and by the time we got it out and thawed it was day 10, I felt OK, and then looked at it and wussed out.

However I'm glad I took it home as the size of the umbilical cord showed why A was so unimpressed at now having to work for his food, and the placenta itself showed I really had grown a baby - thanks to the epidural and ventouse I'd been convinced he'd just been pulled out of a drawer hidden under the theatre trolley - not that I minded!

It then sat in the fridge long enough to not be edible, so we plan to bury it in the garden once there's no building materials in the way. I'll just have to fend off depression with lots of walks outside and antidepressants.

PhantomOfTheChocolateCake Fri 24-Oct-08 17:15:32

My old neighbour buried hers and planted a tree over it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now