Talk

Advanced search

Got questions about giving birth? Know what to expect and when to expect it, with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Pain in cervix at 39 weeks

(2 Posts)
waitingtogivebirth Sat 18-Oct-08 08:59:25

I am 39+4 today and have been having some odd pains on and off for the last week. It's just when I walk round and the best description I can give is that it is like a stabbing/throbbing pain really low down - feels like it's actually in my cervix. It's more uncomfortable than really painful. I have my midwife appointment on Monday so I will ask then, but I was just wondering if anyone else had anything similar. I'm hoping it's a sign that things are getting started or that the baby has engaged (at 38 weeks the midwife said the head was still free). Although the baby still seems really high up under my ribs.

Also has anyone felt that their bump growth slowed down in the last few weeks. I've always measured spot on for dates, but then I was only 37cm at 38 weeks and I don't think my bump has got any bigger in the last 2 weeks (or maybe I'm just paranoid!!). It doesn't help that people keep telling me I look small considering I'm nearly due.

Thanks for any advice - this is my first baby and I'm getting quite anxious now that I'm nearly there .

LackaDAISYcal Sat 18-Oct-08 09:06:32

The pains that appear to be in your cervix are probably due to the baby's head engaging and pressing on your undercarriage from the inside. It's a very odd feeling, but quite common and normal.

the size of your bump; if the baby had engaged and is sitting lower in your pelvis then this will have an effect on the physical size and appearance of your bump. Again, perfectly normal smile

It all sounds like it's going in the right direction and the anxiousness is again normal and your body's way of mentally preparing itself for the arrival of your baby.

Try and relax and enjoy these last few days and weeks, and do something nice or yourself every day, even if it's just sitting with a coffee and a book in starbuck's.

Good Luck smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: