Talk

Advanced search

Got questions about giving birth? Know what to expect and when to expect it, with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

tearing and stitches - best chance of not happening?

(17 Posts)
swottybetty Fri 17-Oct-08 17:56:39

2nd degress tear last time and it took a fortnight for the pain to really go. feeding in partic was esp hard as sittinbg down so uncomfortable.

what can be done? i've heard a slow pushing stage help - even if it hurts at the time. also, i was induced and epidural last time - any experiences comparing dif types of birth and whether you teared?

tia

pinkie08 Fri 17-Oct-08 18:07:49

Hello swottybetty Just looking through the messages and found yours.

I am currently ttc#2 my dd is 8 and i was induced with her. I was told that almond oil (or olive oil) rubbed in on the bit that tears (sorry tmi) stops this from happening. I gave it a try as was also told that horse riders have the worst time EVER and thats what i do.

Anyway it worked i didnt have one stitch nor did i tear. Harriet was born in 5 hours and it really didnt hurt (down there) hmm

xx

lauraloola Fri 17-Oct-08 20:35:57

If you breathe when the babies head crowns you are supposed to be ok - Easier said then done when you just want to push smile

waitingtobloom Fri 17-Oct-08 20:44:24

I had a large episiotomy last time which took weeks to heal. Was petrified this time around.

However this time I gave birth to a baby 1.5 pounds heavier who did not flex her chin (widest part of head out first!) with a minor first degree tear and two stitches (was along old scar line).

I used a birth pool (had to get out in the end as was pushing for nearly 3 hours and they were getting worried). Water really softens things up though.

Had a home birth - so was relaxed and drug free and therefore in control to listen to my body and the midwife.

Had a very active birth - upright all the way through then an upright birth position - kneeling and leaning over back of sofa with one knee up (if that makes sense) - so pelvis nice and open.

Listened to fab midwife who helped me guide her out - pushed when she said and stopped when she didnt. She eased my perinium around babies head.

I also did perineal massage but dont know if that helped - did ease scar tissue from last time though.

Hope that helps!

Axxx

yomellamoHelly Fri 17-Oct-08 20:50:15

I actually ignored the MW and only pushed when my body was screaming at me to push. Ds2 was born 2nd push with only a minor graze or me.

MoonlightMcKenzie Fri 17-Oct-08 21:05:43

I insisted on gas and air during the 2nd stage and breathed the baby out.

Still tore though

lauraloola Fri 17-Oct-08 21:09:48

They let you have gas and air for pushing?? They stole mine as soon as I started angry

SleepIsForTheWeak Fri 17-Oct-08 21:10:11

water birth

2nd stage labour was 4 minutes and only a slight graze!

MoonlightMcKenzie Sat 18-Oct-08 11:10:01

They stole mine too in the first birth (3 hours of straining whilst pushing), which is why I demanded it for my second (20mins no pushing).

Some people think it stops you from focussing and putting in the hardwork at the end. However, if you don't consider the 2nd stage to require hardwork and want to let your body get on with it in its own way and time then there is no reason why you shouldn't have gas and air. In fact it can help you to relax and enable your body to do it effeciently.

MoonlightMcKenzie Sat 18-Oct-08 11:13:12

Not straining/pushing, but letting your body do it itself is supposed to reduce tearing, especially if you have a supportive midwife looking after the area.

I tore, but the mw had strict instructions not to touch me or even give verbal direction.

jumpjockey Sat 18-Oct-08 11:14:11

I was looking at the NICE labour care guidelines (don't ask...!) and apparently a really good way to help is for the MW to have her hands ready as the baby crowns, and to hold it very gently in place for a moment while you stretch the final bit for it to come out. It depends presumably on if you're happy to be touched at that stage of labour, but it supposedly made a big difference to the number of women having tears.

ILikeToScareYouScareYou Sat 18-Oct-08 11:16:51

Perineal massage
Upright position
No medical intervention (epidural, forceps, ventouse)
Pushing when you are ready
Waterbirth

All of these are known to reduce the risk of tearing.

I can recommend a waterbirth and upright position. I recently gave birth to ds2 who was 9lb 11oz (my 1st vaginal birth) and only had a graze.

ightytiddlietighty Thu 30-Oct-08 22:13:34

I did a lot of oiling and stretching (and not just pereneum wink) during weeks leading up to the birth - sure it helped. Also made sure I was oiled up once the contractions started.

No1GruffaloHunter Fri 31-Oct-08 11:43:46

Just given birth again and didn't tear this time around (I also had a 2nd degree tear with DD1).

I think you're more stretched out second time around which makes it easier I certainly didn't feel the "ring of fire" as much as the first time.

Also had a lovely MW who eased the baby out whilst I panted.

Best of luck.

GYo Fri 31-Oct-08 11:47:25

where can you buy almond oil? does it need to be specially for 'ladys bits' ? grin

thumblesswitch Fri 31-Oct-08 11:53:16

perineal stretching/massage = good idea, with or without oil.

I had no tearing despite induction - was
checked at 11:30 pm and found to be 1cm dilated, told I would be checked again at 3:30am and if I hadn't progressed would be given syntocin; but I delivered at 2am, almost by myself in the observation room - had to send DH for a mw as baby's head crowned before they arrived, and DS was born 3 mins later. I was on my left side throughout stage 2 labour, only pushing when I had to (tried not to the first time but it hurt too much not to so went with it after that) and after about half an hour of stage 2, I felt baby move down and sent DH off.

The mw who came and cleaned me up said that lying on the left side is a good way to avoid tearing (makes you wonder why they don't suggest it then, doesn't it!hmm)

So - perineal massage, lying on left side and no mw intervention during stage 2 labour are my recommendations! Good luck smile

littone Fri 31-Oct-08 12:45:58

My DP assures me that my 2nd degree tear didn't occur when I delivered the head but because my baby kicked out his foot as he was delivered - so not convinced it would have mattered what position I was in!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: