Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Your top tips for getting labour to start once waters have broken, please!

(14 Posts)
mybabysinthegarden Fri 17-Oct-08 12:19:29

It's coming up to 48 hours since my waters went and apart from a few little niggles, not the slightest sign of labour starting; baby still really high up (I'm imagining him clinging to the ceiling of the uterus Batman-style as the water drains away) The same thing happened with dd, waited 5 days and was eventually induced... really would like to avoid induction this time! I know all the scientific and not-so-scientific tips but if anyone could post things they think actually worked for them I'd be really grateful.

chocbiscuits Fri 17-Oct-08 13:55:55

Sorry no help but big sympathy. My waters went after induction and then Ds decided to finally engage head and get on with it.

TheBlonde Fri 17-Oct-08 14:03:34

walking worked for me

mybabysinthegarden Fri 17-Oct-08 14:09:53

ok blonde, the sun's just come out, I'm going to give it a go.

TheBlonde Fri 17-Oct-08 14:21:34

good luck!

caramelbunny Fri 17-Oct-08 16:45:35

Was in same position as you less than a week ago and afraid nothing worked. Fingers crossed for you though. Good luck.

mybabysinthegarden Fri 17-Oct-08 23:06:06

Still here, no signs from the controller. Thanks caramelbunny, and congratulations (I take it you're not still waiting!) The info sheet on Expectant Management they gave me at the hospital says that 86% of women go into labour 24-48 hours after the waters go so feeling very envy of all of them just now.

Lionstar Fri 17-Oct-08 23:19:22

I wasn't in the 86% either if that makes you feel any better. Ended up in hospital after 48 hours for induction (had home birth planned too - sob). When waters went at 37 weeks she was not at all engaged, so the 2 days I spent at home with vague contractions was just spent on getting her down into pelvis.

Sorry probably not the most encouraging thing. All turned out well in the end - had gorgeous DD.

colacubes Fri 17-Oct-08 23:19:43

Have you been or rang the labour ward to tell them your waters have gone? Mine went, and they had me in within the 12 hrs to monitor, would have prefered to have stayed home, but they insisted.

TheHedgeWitch Fri 17-Oct-08 23:49:32

Message withdrawn

mybabysinthegarden Sat 18-Oct-08 20:25:28

congratulations, lionstar, that's what I'm focusing on, I'm going to have a fabulous d(probably)s at the end of it all, how we get there is not so important.

Cola-- I've been into the hosp. every day since my waters went-- they favour 'expectant management' here, where you go home and monitor your temp and, er, secretions yourself. Last time I went 5 days after my waters went (they did start nagging me about induction after 48 hours but this was mostly junior doctors and the consultant said he was quite happy for me to wait) Anyway I've said I'll go in for the induction tomorrow, which will be just under 96 hours as they wanted to start me on prophylactic ABs if I waited any longer.

In the meantime might give hedgewitch's suggestion a go, never heard that one before! (The pump, I mean, not driving around on potholes, getting lost and then nearly sent home smile)

nooOOOoonki Sat 18-Oct-08 20:27:36

sniffing geranium oil worked for me-

or nipple tweaking

and a big walk all seemed to work for me (round and round the block!)

good luck

nooOOOoonki Sat 18-Oct-08 20:28:08

or drive to hospital, then come home (that seems to work for everyone smile)

vicky11 Sun 19-Oct-08 07:43:54

I was in slow labour, I had a bath with Clary Sage in and within 10 minutes my waters broke and I then had strong contractions within minutes and the rest was magical!!!!!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now