Talk

Advanced search

Tips for coping with afterpains

(12 Posts)

Had DS yesterday (second baby), birth was lovely but the afterpains are something shocking only got 2hrs sleep last night because of them. Have taken paracetomol but is there anything else I can do?

Sazisi Fri 17-Oct-08 11:22:51

Oh I got them very, very badly after second baby; lots of sympathy!

I was prescribed Ponstan for mine; paracetamol didn't touch the edges.

Bit of a let down as I had a lovely quick (planned) waterbirth at home and managed the contractions fine but these are horrible!

Sazisi Fri 17-Oct-08 12:19:35

I know how you feel; I was completely taken aback by them. I remember violently shaking with pain
Give your midwife a call asap and get something prescribed (Ponstan were fine for breastfeeding), you can't suffer like this.

Sounds like an amazing birth though

littleboo Fri 17-Oct-08 12:27:07

afterpains (sadly) get worse the more babies you have. Cocodamol can be used ( either low dose over the counter )or ask midwife or gp to prescribe for you.... they really work well.

claricebean Fri 17-Oct-08 12:31:48

Yes, get drugs and lots of them. I have had 4 births, all without pain relief but the afterpains were hideous and worse each time. I was kept awake all night after birth number 3 (only evening birth). They do reduce dramatically after the first 24 hours. But if they are still bothering you, definitely phone midwife / GP for something stronger.

Congratulations, by the way

waitingtobloom Sun 19-Oct-08 20:05:59

Yes ouch. Knew they hurt more with subsuquent births but ouch ouch ouch! I was deep breathing and pacing through them. I found they were worse with breastfeeding so I would try and have a hot water bottle on my back and a wheat heat pad on my front - this helped quite a lot. For the worst ones I would run a hot bath and get in (easier said than done with toddler and baby). Had a similar effect to the water birth - should have just kept the birth pool up lol. Used to get these awful ones at night that just didnt go away and I'd make more noise than i did during the contractions!

I used paracetemol and ibuprofen - didnt know you could take anything else but will be prepared if there is a next time!

Congratulations - and the worst was over by day 3 ish

frazzledoldbag34 Sun 19-Oct-08 21:15:59

Painkillers. Ouch - you've just reminded me about that aspect of post-birth. Didn't notice them after DD1, horrible after DD2, shall be ordering shed-loads of painkillers to cope with the inevitable after DD3. Sorry, don't know of any other miracle cures for them.

cupchar Sun 19-Oct-08 21:20:54

Had these with 2,3 & 4 but not with my first or fifth!! Only thing was to get the process over with so lots of bf & visualization. Pain relief drugs did nothing.

BananaSkin Sun 19-Oct-08 22:13:23

Firstly, congratulations grin. I was prescribed something quite strong after DS3; they were hideous & like you, I couldn't sleep. The pills I had were fine with breastfeeding too. I would try and speak to your midwife.

Thank you for the tea aand sympathy and tips smile. They have all but passed thankfully! Found hot baths helped as well as a hot water bottle and paracetomol.

ightytiddlietighty Tue 21-Oct-08 23:40:47

arnica tablets helped me

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now