Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Natural Birthers - Would you do it again?

(123 Posts)
TheHedgeWitch Fri 17-Oct-08 09:48:05

Message withdrawn

scorpio1 Fri 17-Oct-08 09:50:02

Yes, i have had 3 vb, with gas and air at the last hour each time - it works for me!

Def the same next time - at home, like last time.

foxytocin Fri 17-Oct-08 09:54:15

home water birth, no pain relief last time - deffo again.

i had an epidural with first after a horrendous induction (PET) the first time. epidurals have their place in childbirth. i am no hero or martyr type.

gingerninja Fri 17-Oct-08 10:00:21

Just G&A for me and yes, I'd do it again (providing the circumstances are similar)I'm even hoping I'll have the piece of mind to either use it less or not at all because I think it held me back and I felt a bit out of control when I first started using it, like being totally drunk. I didn't like that and don't want to repeat the process.

Katw3kitts Fri 17-Oct-08 10:02:48

Never considered an epidural (too scared)

pethidine first time round but no pain relief just steady breathing second and third times.

I think everything has its place.

ShowOfHands Fri 17-Oct-08 10:03:14

I failed miserably at having a natural birth. I pushed for 6 hours after having a 26hr labour without any intervention or pain relief though so have laboured and pushed "naturally". I was transferred and had every invention known to man after this and eventually an em cs.

Next time (if I can bring myself to get pregnant ever again) I'd have a home waterbirth again. Or try to anyway.

Don't get me wrong, after a prolonged and difficult labour the epidural was wonderful if only in the respect that the 2 minute long back to back contractions stopped hurting but that pain-free bliss I would have traded a thousand times over to push out my baby myself.

Anna8888 Fri 17-Oct-08 10:04:15

Totally natural, in hospital. Only pain relief was a bath of hot water. Would do it again, like a shot.

cyteen Fri 17-Oct-08 10:04:38

haven't read the epidural thread, but yes, i would give birth again with just g+a/TENS/breathing exercises [hippy] Like you HedgeWitch i am terrified by the thought of an epidural - have always had horror of being paralysed/numb. i certainly wouldn't rule out having one if circumstances demanded it though, like foxytocin says they do have their place.

TheHedgeWitch Fri 17-Oct-08 10:05:21

Message withdrawn

mamadiva Fri 17-Oct-08 10:05:46

I haven't had one myself I had to get ECS but my mum has always said she would never have drugs during labour again because when she had me she was pretty much wasted on pethadine, she then went on to have my brother and twin sisters without even G&A she did try it but she thought it was useless so she ended up biting down on the little tube nozzle that you get on the G&A

MoonlightMcKenzie Fri 17-Oct-08 10:06:29

If I am 'lucky' enough to have a birth similar to the last I would. However, I do think there are things women can do to increase their chances of 'luck'!

a) Be well researched (write a 7 page birth plan that you can summarise if necessary)

b) Practice coping techniques

c) Hire a doula

d) Carefully choose your place of birth

e) Once you have 'controlled' for all of these, have the realisitic understanding that birth is unpredictable and don't rule out an epidural completely!

fabsmum Fri 17-Oct-08 10:07:27

First baby had everything (epidural, pethidine, g&a)

Second birth at home with just g&a.

Third baby very, very long labour at home (5cm, contracting 1 in 5 on Monday at 8am - regular contractions until Wednesday 4pm when baby was born). Nothing except g&a.

Yes - would do it again. Would never opt for epidural now I know I can survive the labour from hell without one, and come out smiling at the other end. smile

TheHedgeWitch Fri 17-Oct-08 10:07:29

Message withdrawn

Ebb Fri 17-Oct-08 10:24:42

I had a bit of gas and air but it didn't really do anything for me so next time I probably wouldn't bother - although I think the distraction of breathing the g&a was good. I spent the majority of the time in a birthing pool which was fantastic and would definately do that again if it was available. The only thing I would change was that I was allowed to push for over 4hours and eventually had an episiotomy and Ds shot out so would put in my birth plan that I would like intervention earlier. (Baby had been knocking at the doorway for ages - I must have had a tough as old boots fanjo blush) That said I wouldn't want the intervention if it involved forceps or something. (Unless nessecary obviously.)

Notanexcitingname Fri 17-Oct-08 10:27:19

Like some others, I'm far more scared of an epidural than, well, almost anything except a bigger needle or a c/section.

Last time I had G&A (syntocin). This time hopefully nothing except water. Not keen on synthetic drugs, by far prefer endorphins

Bensonbluebird Fri 17-Oct-08 10:37:44

I've had two home water births, had a few sucks of G&A the first time and didn't like the spacey feeling it gave me. I find it hard to imagine doing it any other way, but that probably isn't that healthy becuase I can imagine that if I did need to do something different I might take a lot of persuading. Just very glad that water was enough for me.

thisisyesterday Fri 17-Oct-08 10:40:39

yes, I will be doing it again. had epidural first time round, and no pain relief at all second time.
am plannning number 3 and will definitely be looking at another home birth with no intervention

funnypeculiar Fri 17-Oct-08 10:41:29

Haven't read epidural thread, but
- first birth, g&a only - wonderful, wonderful stuff grin (was open to using whatever I needed - inc epidural)
- second birth, felt confident I could cope ... forgot all about pain relief until I was having a cuddle post birth

Didn't really bother thinking about an epidural (or anything much, tbh) for the second one, as I felt confident that, unless I had a very different labour, i would be reasonably ok.

funnypeculiar Fri 17-Oct-08 10:42:50

I wouldn't say I think of myself as a natural birther, though. Just lucky smile

Lemontart Fri 17-Oct-08 10:47:02

After too much intervention first time, second was kept to a minimum and much better. Felt a lot more in control anyway, and the less drugs for me personally helped me feel more together and more able to cope.
Every birth is different, but if I am lucky to have a third, I will aim to avoid as much pain relief as possible. The pain was better than the woozy, scary out of control feeling from chemicals - very personal choice though.

picklesmama Fri 17-Oct-08 11:05:38

Oh totally. I had nowt with #2, not even a bath, was very quick though! Had I had time I'd have gone for water, maybe tens, had gas and air with #1 and didn't like that spaced out 'removed' feeling at all. Easy to say with quick labours though, I can understand why ladies who last for days need a bit more to combat the exhaustion!

RubyRioja Fri 17-Oct-08 11:09:15

#1 Epi - lovely delivery, otherwise no invervention
#2 No pain relief, no intervention, not impressed
#3 No pain relief, no intervention, back to back delivery, bloody horrible.

I think epi should be available when you need it - bugger nature

belgo Fri 17-Oct-08 11:09:32

Just read the OP and having just done the totally natural child birth (no G&A, no Tens, no pethidine) thing for the THIRD time just four days ago I would say

NEVER AGAIN!

I now have two daughters and a gorgeous son grin

Anna8888 Fri 17-Oct-08 11:14:34

<congratulations belgo - I was just thinking about you last night, before going to bed, and wondering what was happening smile. Great news>

susie100 Fri 17-Oct-08 11:14:48

I had a home water birth, no pain relief other than massage as gas and air made me feel ill and drunk.
Was amazing but not sure I would do it again the pain was out of this world and I felt quite panicked for about 2 hrs.
However what really sent me over the edge was the blimmin stiches - by far the worst bit of childbirth hands down and wld want an epidural in case I needed stiches again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now