Talk

Advanced search

is there anything i can be doing now to help me after birth?

(9 Posts)
mad4mybaby Thu 16-Oct-08 11:48:30

due in 5 weeks with ds2. After i had ds1 my whole body ached like no bodys business. I felt like id been crippled and walked all hunched up for quite a few weeks after i had him. I had 2nd degree tear and grazing and also couldnt sit without a pillow for about 8 weeks.

I was swimming a few times a week before i gave birth with ds1 but this time round have been too ill and suffering with spd and bad pelvis so dont excercise as such just running round after an active 2 yr old so dont think fitness wise is anything i can do about at the moment.

Any suggestions i be sooo grateful!

Elasticwoman Thu 16-Oct-08 13:32:26

Make sure you get as much rest as you can. Put your feet up in the day any time your ds1 lets you, and go to bed early.

Are there any midwife-run exercise and relaxation classes at your local nhs surgery?

Waterbirth worked for me but you have to be low-risk and I don't know whether SPD contraindicates it or not.

Good luck.

nuclear Thu 16-Oct-08 14:55:56

pelvic floor exercises

I am currently doing mine like a mad woman.

hellyberry Thu 16-Oct-08 16:05:48

book a break for end of 4th trimester, so dp/helper is with you and you can get a swim and an extra nap everyday for a week, once you've done the first 12 weeks of adjusting! tis great to have something to look forward to, and marks a watershed in terms of how baby grows and how you start getting back more towards yourself. or new self. and for now, deffo try relaxation/hypnosis/meditation practice, so you can make most of snatched time free to relax and heal after the birth. good luck.

Flier Thu 16-Oct-08 16:09:00

take arnica tablets a few days before you're due

Thomcat Thu 16-Oct-08 16:09:24

Cook some nice healthy meals now, if you feel able, and freeze them so you can eat well but not have to slave over cooker with new baby.

Things like

Fantastic Fish pie - lots of nice white fish, spinach, creamy potato
stews / casseroles
chillis
spag bol sauce
soups etc.

Is it too late to sign up for some pregnancy yoga?

If it is why don't you just do some very gentle stretching exercises at home or buy a pregnancy yoga DVd online and follow that at home?

notcitrus Thu 16-Oct-08 16:25:10

Phone up all your friends and relatives now to get someone to come round each day, just to do some picking up and hefting about of the baby.
i had bad spd and just picking him up and burping and cuddling gets too much in the evening, but loads of people are willing to hold and rock him for a couple hours.

friends/family who will look after baby in part of the night and only bring him to you when he needs feeding are even more invaluable!

(got told off by gp the other day and to get more help, seeing as 5 weeks ago spd had me in a wheelchair...)

twentynine Thu 16-Oct-08 16:26:46

Make sure you tell everyone you will need help when the baby comes - whether it's taking your older child out for an hour and making him feel special, or running the vac round the living room. People generally want to help but need to know the best way to help you.

TigerFeet Thu 16-Oct-08 16:32:56

Arnica

Pelvic Floor Exercises

Lots and lots of rest

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now