Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

FIRST PERIOD AFTER BIRTH - what was it like for you?

(6 Posts)
anonymxxx Wed 08-Oct-08 21:34:01

DS 10 months and BF and no AF back yet. However, I have been feeling very, very PMSy for 10days now and think maybe my first period's around the corner - but: nothing....nada. Even took a pg test, but negative. What's going on - am not a happy bunny....What was it like for you?

Tangle Wed 08-Oct-08 21:59:27

As your cycle starts to get back to normal it is possible for you to get PMSy symptoms coming and going with no period - but its a warning that things are likely to happen soon (where "soon" could be the next few months).

IIRC, I had a few months of being a bit hormonal before my first AF when DD was about 15 months and still BF. The first one was much lighter than pre-pregnancy. The 2nd one was a blood bath (I've NEVER had one so heavy). The 3rd was about normal, but 10 days late. Haven't had the 4th yet.

Liz79 Thu 09-Oct-08 20:46:35

DD will be 10m next week, BF. I started work again on Saturday and on monday I got a cold sore and my period back feel a bit sad, like its the end of an era and something special. Which is all a bit melodramatic probably. I had an inkling it was coming because my cervical mucous changed and in hindsight I was unusually randy a couple of weeks ago. I have had no other symptoms at all. I am more tired but equally that could be because I have just gone back to work! The bleeding is about average for me.

lauraloola Thu 09-Oct-08 22:02:58

Very, very heavy and painful. They do get better though.

anonymxxx Thu 09-Oct-08 22:23:29

Thank you very much for your experiences. I am just not myself, but it's going on forever and no bleeding. However, I have read on Kellysmom that you can have "phantom periods" (not sure if that was the term the used) without bleeding for months(!). If I only got AF then I would at least know what's going on....

Liz - all the best for starting with work. I found the transition very hard, but the new balance rewarding ...

Lauraloola - A least you know what's going on... Sorry they were bad for you. Maybe another child would take care of it :-)

Tangle - Very interesting. That's exactly what Kellymom says. I just have a need to know what's going on - especially if I am as hormonal as I am right now. They also say that the average return for "ecologically" BF babies is 14 months, so right around when you got them. I think I do not fully qualify for ecological, since I am working (but BF 5 times a day until recently, when DS started to drop feeds himself).

Ohh, forgot to say that I BF a lot recently
(DS had diarrhea) and after he was well again, he dropped many feeds all at once.
Thanks a lot for your help!

Tangle Thu 09-Oct-08 22:55:17

I probably read it on Kellymom - its a good resource for BF wink

I've heard quite a few women say that they got AF when they suddenly dropped a lot of feeds, especially if they're at night, so that may well have something to do with it.

I know what you mean about the uncertainty, though - I don't know whether its worse knowing that AF is almost certainly coming soon, but whether it will be in 3 days or 10 days I haven't a clue...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now