Talk

Advanced search

New baby - blood in nappy - help!

(21 Posts)
Aubergenie Tue 07-Oct-08 23:03:04

We've literally just got back from the hospital with my new baby boy born on Saturday - haven't even had time to post a birth announcement but need some advice please.

I just checked his nappy and inside was what looked like a small amount of blood, kind of pinky colour. It looked like it could have been wee'd out, as there were no stools in the nappy. He then did a poo that was brown and seemed normal, no blood there. He seems fine, doesn't appear to in any discomfort and is feeding well. He's been weeing normally up till now.

I've called NHS Direct but won't be getting a call back for a couple of hours so could really do with some advice or reassurance.

Has anyone heard of this before? Obviously I'll be getting it checked out ASAP but I'm wondering whether I should be taking him back to A&E or something tonight.

littlelapin Tue 07-Oct-08 23:04:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Olihan Tue 07-Oct-08 23:06:56

Newborns often pass urates in their wee in the first days. Can't remember why but it is completely harmless and entirely normal. So try not to panic too much smile.

Congratulations though!

littlelapin Tue 07-Oct-08 23:08:45

Aubergenie Tue 07-Oct-08 23:08:51

Yes, I am breastfeeding and breasts are very sore. One of my nipples has started bleeding a tiny bit today.

Thanks for the reply. He's clearly not too sick as he's screaming for another feed. Got to go!

littlelapin Tue 07-Oct-08 23:09:30

sfxmum Tue 07-Oct-08 23:12:45

hi my dd had that like a little string of pinkish a couple of times when she was a couple of weeks old cue visit to A&E but all was fine

it is natural to worry and all that has been said here were possible reasons given to us.
also sometimes there could be a tiny tear in the rectum, or boobs night bleed slightly or just normal newborn thing, they are strange delightful creatures smile

we were told to watch out for signs of discomfort, raised temperature etc but it never happened again

congratulations on your baby, and really do what gives you peace of mind but try not to worry too much

Olihan Tue 07-Oct-08 23:13:10

Here you go. No explanation as to why (I think it's as more liquid passes through the kidneys they excrete the urates for a few days) but does say that pinky red staining in the nappy is normal.

Peachy Tue 07-Oct-08 23:14:28

Olihan is right- 2 of mine got it, 2 didn't.

Thea dvice is to feed, feed, feed. As usual.

Peachy Tue 07-Oct-08 23:14:47

OOps-

also

Congrats!

missmama Tue 07-Oct-08 23:19:21

My DS2 did this, only the once and he was really newborn. The midwife said it was totaly normal and to do with my hormones inside him before he was born.
This was 8 years ago so I am skechy on the details sorry.
Keep the nappy to show your midwife.

Aubergenie Tue 07-Oct-08 23:27:01

Oh, thank you all for replying, it sounds like nothing to worry about and we can calm down. I'll mention it to health visitor tomorrow.

His name's Stanley littlelapin and he's a little gem.

littlelapin Tue 07-Oct-08 23:29:44

liahgen Tue 07-Oct-08 23:43:46

Aubergine,

congratulations,I love the name Stanley. Did everything go well.

Just a thought, Urates can sometimes be a sign that baby is not feeding enough. Just check him at the breast and make sure he is well latched on. If your nipples are bleeding, chances are, latch is not fab as it could be.

You should be able to see more of the breast above his mouth, and his lips should be taking in alot of the breast. (think goldfish expression)

Hope you are well. x

notcitrus Wed 08-Oct-08 06:47:06

My boy had quite a lot of blood for the first 3-4 days. We were worried but the paediatrician (we were already staying in hospital 3 days) said it was just neonatal menses - apparently it can happen in boys as well as girls and blood-type stuff comes out the urethra, thanks to my hormones, especially with breastfeeding.

Good luck!

Aubergenie Wed 08-Oct-08 11:05:47

Thanks for the reassuring messages. Mumsnet is fab! That first night at home is scary enough without having all these other things to worry about!

Liahgen - It all went brilliantly. Absolutely nothing like my birth plan, and a few complications but the staff at Homerton were great and we felt listened to and respected the whole way through. I didn't feel quite so supported about the whole breastfeeding thing though and I was wondering about the latch too. They just don't seem to have enough staff on the post natal ward. I thought I was doing it right, as you can't see the nipple once he's on, but it is really sore, particularly on one side. I'm going to check with the health visitor when she comes round later on.

liahgen Wed 08-Oct-08 12:14:57

Aubergine,

I'm so glad you had a positive experiemce.

Have a look here. Jack newman is fab. Lots of video links so you can see baby latching well.

Keep in touch. x

www.drjacknewman.com/video-clips.asp

Aubergenie Thu 09-Oct-08 13:10:47

Liahgen - that website is brilliant. Turns out I was doing quite a few things wrong. Thank you!

liahgen Fri 10-Oct-08 20:16:02

no prob.

Don't think of it as doing things wrong, you are learning together, x

anonymxxx Fri 10-Oct-08 21:56:42

Congrats, Aubergenie.

My DS had ureates in his nappy for a few days.
He had problems latching on one side and arguably feeding could have been better. Counsellor in BF made a big deal out of it and scared me a lot (recommended formula!). However, once I stayed away from clinic and we tried different things and took a lot of time to figure it out, the cracked nippled healed and ureates disappeared. Still BF at 10 months and going strong. In short, get all the help that is helpful, but don't let them scare you!!! There is lots of BF advice in the
"Breast and Bottlefeeding" Thread.

ChukkyPig Fri 10-Oct-08 22:01:25

Aubergenie - do you have some lansinoh? It's a life saver on the nips front!

My DD also had the blood nappy thing - I said to the HV "on so this is the weird baby girl period thing then" and she said "no it's just wee" blush.

So don't worry about that. Do get some BF support though as everyone else has said!

Congrats!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now