Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Hospitals...

(9 Posts)
mummalish Tue 07-Oct-08 16:17:58

Am I allowed to mention hospitals by name? I would just like to hear from other mums about their experiences with a certain hospital, I would like to know if others' experiences were horrific like mine, or is it just me?

Dont want to get into trouble, so thought I'd ask before I post.

MamaG Tue 07-Oct-08 16:18:58

mummalish this isn't a moderated board as such, of course you can mention hospitals

Just like I can say that Bill Oddie is a weird twat

lulumama Tue 07-Oct-08 16:20:40

in your opinion mamaG ! grin

mummalish Tue 07-Oct-08 16:31:42

Oh good, well, I just want to get some things off my chest about St. Georges..... Now, I know that nothing is perfect, and I could overlook so much about my labour, etc, never mind the filth (I just walked around with cleaning wipes for the loos), never mind the bad food (I understand they are feeding loads of people), never mind the lack of attention (once again, lots of mums to attend to)... But the rudeness of the midwives and nurses. I felt like a prisoner of a terrible crime, there to be punished, and that was just wasting their time. Being a midwife must be a hard job, such long hours, and lots of people to attend to, but that is their job, they choose to be there, and surely if you are working in this field, there has to be some level of acceptable human interaction. It was not ok that I was treated like a naughty child. Whats worse is, that I could complain, but will it help the next mum?

What can be done about this? If there are more good experiences than bad with St Georges, maybe I can let this go, but something tells me that others feel the same way.

notcitrus Wed 08-Oct-08 07:02:33

mummalish - were you in my NCT class recently?

I gave birth at Georges earlier this month. Summary: care up to delivery and recovery room, in MLU, del suite, theatre and SCBU - impeccable. Totally faultless, and I must have interacted with over 50 staff.

Postnatal night time care - terrible, especially one bonkers midwife who said if I didn't breastfeed 30 min on each side it didn't count, but no even though I couldn't sit up, no-one was allowed to help me or pass me the baby - wtf? Add being tied to the bed via drip and catheter and having diarrhoea... Luckily I had a friend to do communication support with me, who ended up making use of her experience working in a nursing home. And the pair of cleaners who changed my bed 4 times in the night were fantastic, telling me I was doing fine, and yes I could take codiene, etc.

Postnatal daytime (we had to stay 3 days as A was on antibiotics) - staff overworked and prone to saying 'back in 5 min' and not, but all lovely and helpful. I got the impression I was the only person in the ward trying to bf, given the amount of help I was offered and having the bf room to myself.

I was planning to write to Gloria Green, head of maternity services, who authorised me to have companions all the time and came and checked on me a few times. From readingsome minutes online, it looks like she has the authority to kick arse, but no budget. And copy in PALS. Would be happy to refer to your experiences.

Have to admit that the place was near-spotless and the food quite good when I was there, except the sunday lunch. My complaints would be only the lack of appropriate pain relief as no-onechecked what I was taking before labour, lack of info on the ward (there's a sheet with everything just outside the ward, but that's not much help), lack of night staff, and the one midwife who led my friend to say "What's her problem? Right, what special needs can I acquire to make sure I can have a companion after birth?"

notcitrus Wed 08-Oct-08 07:03:26

oh yes - met Bill Oddie once only I didn't recognise him and he went "Don't you know who I am?"
Twat.

FlirtyThirty Wed 08-Oct-08 09:52:23

I know someone who had a very bad post-natal experience at St Georges too! She was in for a week after birth and it was diabolical. Total lack of care, information or medical attention. No help at all with breastfeeding and the room was grim. The staff I witnessed interacting with her and baby could not have cared less. Every patient was given little time and made to feel a burden and inconvenience. I was shocked; she was distressed! Would not recommend on the basis of what I saw.

mummalish Wed 08-Oct-08 16:14:28

notcitrus, no I wasnt in your Nct class. There was one midwife in particular that was awful, I had the misfortune to have dealings with her before I gave birth, and saw her in the postnatal ward - Jacqueline, an older lady, does not seem to know how to smile.

She should not be a midwife in my opinion, I know that is a terrible thing to say, and I am sure I sound bitter, but she upset me terribly.

MrsMattie Wed 08-Oct-08 18:18:15

I've had this experience at another big London hospital. The midwives were just completely rude, dismissive cowbags. I was stunned. There's no excuse for it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now