Talk

Advanced search

Got questions about giving birth? Know what to expect and when to expect it, with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Trying for a VBAC T+9 cervix posterior- will it happen? Advice please

(3 Posts)
Bakester Tue 07-Oct-08 13:26:45

Hi

I am trying to attempt a VBAC with #2 as had 6 failed inductions last time and finally CS.

Midwife tried sweep today but cervix very posterior although when she did finally manage to reach it said it felt soft. Into hospital tomorrow to be induced as currently in Germany and they only allow 10 days over. Very disappointed as have waited and longed for VBAC. sad

Has anyone had similar experience??

vbacqueen1 Tue 07-Oct-08 16:51:55

Loads of women, yes. Unfortunately, the best chance of achieving VBAC is to accept no interventions and to wait to let nature take its course. Many women naturally gestate for 42 weeks + and whilst German hospitals only "allow" you to go 10 days over, it's worth mentioning to them that the World Health Organisation classes full term as any where between 37-42 weeks, so you're not officially overdue until 42+1.
It's also worth mentioning that induction increases the risk of uterine rupture, which is why so many obstetricians prefer not to attempt it for VBAC.
I'm probably telling you stuff you already know, but if your cervix isn't favourable, it isn't favourable In saying that, I've known lots of women who've had sweeps and been told that things don't look good who have then gone on to have their babies within the next few hours, so who knows?
Just a thought, but what would happen if you just didn't go to hospital tomorrow? I'm not an advocate of risk for risk's sake, but if all looked well with your baby when you had your check up today, you might be willing to just wait it out for a couple more days........? I'm not 100% sure of the legal system in Germany when it comes to VBAC but I'm pretty sure they don't have the right to force you to have an unwanted induction.

Bakester Tue 07-Oct-08 17:42:42

Thanks for your message. I have to go in unfortunately it isn't really an option to not go. I will have discussions tomorrow. Will try to remain positive perhaps it will happen- you never know!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: