loader

Talk

Advanced search

Labour snacks

(28 Posts)
Merlin Wed 02-Mar-05 20:10:03

What did people take to hospital?

Whizzz Wed 02-Mar-05 20:13:06

Not allowed any food in our hospital just in case of an emergency CS. Not that I could have eaten anything anyway.
DH stuffed his face with sandwiches.
Kendal mint cake was a god send afterwards - instant sugar !

Mosschops30 Wed 02-Mar-05 20:14:07

Message withdrawn

SeaShells Wed 02-Mar-05 20:15:34

I wasn't allowed anything to eat either, even though I was starving!

I took some of those lucozade tablet things though for energy

And when they bring you a cup of tea afterwards it's utter bliss! Best cup of tea I've ever had!

Merlin Wed 02-Mar-05 20:16:29

Whizzz - aha! Had section with DS1 so trying VBAC this time, better check with MW - maybe they wont let me have anything in that case. OMG how can endure labour without chocolate!!!!

Merlin Wed 02-Mar-05 20:17:46

Do you think the Lucozade tablets would be allowed?

SeaShells Wed 02-Mar-05 20:18:58

They left me alone alot so I didn't care, I even sneaked a few biccies aswell, shh don't tell anyone

PrettyCandles Wed 02-Mar-05 20:19:24

Non-sticky things (we packed malt-loaf but I couldn't face it). Also things that aren't too sweet. Rich Tea, Shortie, Digestives etc were fine for me. Also sandwiches.

During my first labour I didn't want to touch a crumb of food, but sipped water constantly. During my second labour I ate everything available (apart fromt he malt loaf). But after both labours I was ravenous and ate everything left in the labour bag, including the celebratory liqueur truffles, and everything that the midwives found for me.

Have a small sports bottle in your labour bag so that you can keep sipping. Small is easier to handle, and you can refill it.

Definitely have plenty ready for afterwards, plus get your dp to bring more in when he comes to visit - hospital food is dreadful.

blossom2 Wed 02-Mar-05 20:19:57

I don't remember eating anything during my 19 hours of labour but did drink tea. Was in too much pain really!

Whizzz Wed 02-Mar-05 20:20:48

Oh yes I took Lucozade tablets too. Think I managed to sneak one when no one was looking !
Food was the last thing on my mind though (as was the rest of my birth plan which never made it out of my bag !!)

PrettyCandles Wed 02-Mar-05 20:21:11

I can't believe that you lot weren't allowed to eat! The first time I even had the midwives popping in several times worrying that I hadn't placed an order for the meal, and then when I gave in and ordered something, they worried when they saw my tray being taken away untouched!

Merlin Wed 02-Mar-05 20:23:36

Sports bottle is a good idea - thanks. 4 yrs on memory is returning of DS birth, and cos I was going down for a section (he was breech) wasn't allowed anything, just a touch of water on my lips. Unfortunately, the tea and toast afterwards just came straight back up!!

starlover Thu 03-Mar-05 09:32:22

I went into hospital at 4.30am and at 8am was brought some tea and toast!
Then filled in a lunch form- lunch arrived just as I was being given my pethidine, and was taken away untouched.
Linus was born at 6.48pm and after I came back from theatre to be stitched up I was brought a sandwich and a banana!

Had taken snacks just in case. Took some little packets of dried fruit, some chocolate and some crisps

fisil Thu 03-Mar-05 09:35:12

I wasn't allowed to eat either. Had lots of water and I may have had lucozade tabs (certainly had lots in the following weeks). Ate twix bars all night once ds was born. Otherwise dp ate everything I'd brought!

Frizbe Thu 03-Mar-05 09:37:04

didn't want to eat anything, kept throwing up!

leahbump Thu 03-Mar-05 09:37:35

I tried o eat little bits..lucozade tabs etc and orange squash BUT I threw up anything i tried to eat or drink (and I was starving as I'd not eaten since Tues lunch time.....ds was born wed pm.)

In my case it was the drugs they gave me that made me sick.......they were also concerned about the possibility of a CS so didn't want me to eat.

However- I did have choclate for afterwards and I also had a bottle of squash as i was in for e few days....don't really do drinking plain water..unless i'm excersising (!!). Lucozade in any form was great during pregnancy and post labour!

Fran1 Thu 03-Mar-05 09:40:39

My midwife suggested chopping up a mars bar into bite size pieces and keeping in a tub in fridge until you go to hospital. Then its easy to eat and sugar for energy.

I can't believe some hospitals don't let you eat! It was promoted by my hospitals in order to keep your energy up during labour. Saying that i didn't end up eating, just drank gallons of ribena cartons!! But i only had a six hour labour, i'm sure if it'd been longer i'd have been getting hungry.

lunavix Thu 03-Mar-05 09:40:57

I took snack a jacks, lollies, some cereal bars I really liked at the time, and lucozade (the drink)

All I wanted through the whole 31 hours was some iced water, and the f-ing ice machine for the WHOLE hospital was broken. So dp ate the food, and I just wanted ice!

Tipex Thu 03-Mar-05 18:47:03

I also managed to drink lots of water (just remember to keep having a pee as a full bladder can obstruct labour!) and also used a sports bottle which was great for swigging. My fabulous midwive made me a banana smoothie but I think DH drank it! I had taken all sorts but didnt eat any of it until after and then was ravenous! I did keep asking for opal fruits apparantly and then sptting them out as soon as a contraction came but I dont remember!

Levanna Fri 04-Mar-05 00:37:27

I didn't eat, but had fruit juice laced with rescue remedy available at all times .

colditzmum Fri 04-Mar-05 01:02:05

I wasn't allowed to eat at all, only water, and my whole labour lasted 40 hours!!!!!!!!!

I was ravinous, you aren't allowed to treat criminals like that but apparently it's ok for labouring women! Is it any wonder I collapsed in my (enforced nonassisted!) shower afterwards??!!!!!!

jabberwocky Fri 04-Mar-05 04:25:54

I took some GORP (gobs of raisins and peanuts) It's a mixture of aforesaid raisins, peanuts and M&M's. However I really didn't feel much like eating, threw up during transition, then went into emergency c-section and actually threw up again from anesthesia drugs on the operating table. In hindsight it's almost funny thinking of me pleading for something to throw up in just before they get ready to do surgery . so, even though I thought it was silly beforehand that they didn't want you to eat, I was very glad that I hadn't as it turned out. I have heard of people taking a spoonful of honey or peanut butter for a quick energy boost.

Cooperoo Fri 04-Mar-05 05:24:28

I took sandwiches and snack size choc bars. In the end I was sick (I had insisted dh cook me fishfingers chips and beans when I first started contractions - comfort food and I only ate half of it. I made him put it in the microwave for later when we left for the hospital despite contractions 2 mins apart ha ha). The snacks were a lifesaver for DH who was starving as it was an over night labour and for me for the days after while still in hospital too.

pipsy1 Fri 04-Mar-05 06:24:48

I took energy tablets which were fab for the both of us - and energy drinks even though I only managed the odd sip. Plus choccie bars - psychological comfort as much as anything!

Laura032004 Wed 09-Mar-05 12:39:15

I took in loads of food, but like most others dh ate most of it. Didn't pack a sports bottle, but instead had bendy straws, which ended up being a godsend after I had to have a c/s and couldn't bend to drink.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now