Talk

Advanced search

if I go into labour tonight I think I might be in trouble!

(20 Posts)
mckenzie Wed 02-Mar-05 20:05:10

I cant believe how often I'm starting threads at the moment - sorry.
This one is because i'm 40+3 (as you probably all know by now) and this afternoon I have suddenly been overcome with flu-like symptoms, runny nose, head ache, ear ache, sore thorat, every muscle, bone and limb aching. I had to ask DH to come home early and I went to my bed at 5pm and slept until 10 mins ago.
If I went into labour tonight, I dont think I'd have the strength to climb into the birthing pool let alone push the baby out.
Will Mother nature be clever enough to realise that I'm not too well and hold on for me?

pupuce Wed 02-Mar-05 20:16:28

yes

nutcracker Wed 02-Mar-05 20:16:58

Hmmmm dunno about that, I got the flu at 34 weeks with Dd2 and after falling into bed fully clothed and utterly exhausted, my waters broke.

I ended up having a c section though, not cos i was too tired to push though, cos i didn't dilate at all.

Good luck, will keep my fingers crossed for you, you keep your legs crossed

mckenzie Wed 02-Mar-05 20:19:29

I think I'll just remember Pupuce's reply. Thanks very much. I took 2 paracetamol at 5pm - will it be okay to have 2 more do you think and then head back to bed?

nutcracker Wed 02-Mar-05 20:23:49

Sorry, yep i would go with Pupuces reply too.

mckenzie Wed 02-Mar-05 20:25:03

no offence meant nutcracker but Pupuce's reply is what i wanted to hear, your reply is a bit scary!

nutcracker Wed 02-Mar-05 20:26:21

No thats ok i know what you mean. Good luck anyway.

pupuce Wed 02-Mar-05 20:27:52

Well I am right anyway
Go for the paracetamol !

wobblyknicks Wed 02-Mar-05 20:33:16

If mother nature will just hold on for you (nutty, you must have angered mother nature somewhere along the way) then you'd better hope it's not one of those fluey things that drag on for weeks!!!

SleepyJess Wed 02-Mar-05 20:33:27

I was told by midwives that excess stress or ill health delays the onset of labour.. natures way of making sure you are as fit as possible for the birth. It was certainly true for me when having my last baby. Just try to rest and lot.

SJ x

mckenzie Wed 02-Mar-05 20:44:45

thanks all. I'm off back to bed then with 2 paracetamol, a book and my legs tightly shut.

pupuce Thu 03-Mar-05 09:51:32

How are you feeling this AM?

I did think that Aloha was poorly and she got into labour... despite wanting an elective ! Mother nature wanted revenge !!! LOL

P.S. Aloha - you know what I mean....

uwila Thu 03-Mar-05 10:14:21

I was told when pregnant the first time (because I get migraines) that I could take as much paracetemol as the directions allow for anyone. SO yes, you can take more paracetemol... not that it;s any wonder cure. But if it helps then it will at least allow you to get some rest in case you do go into labour.

40+3, huh? It's just the worst feeling when you pass your due date, isn't it. I went well past mine. DD was born by emergency caesarean at 42+2. There was good reason for this. It was a very good thing that I didn;t go into labour (DD have tied herself up in the cord which was tightly around her neck twice) so my mother nature did protect her by not going into labour. Of course, I am no doctor and don;t want to suggest anything is wrong, but I do think that it is possible that your body knows when something is wrong (sometimes). In my case, I probably didn't go into labour because baby's head never rested on the cervix because baby was literally suspended by the cord (like a little tarzan).

mckenzie Thu 03-Mar-05 10:45:30

I had a fairly good nights sleep so I'm feeling a tad better today, thanks for asking. The cold is coming out nicely and my throat is a bit sore but at least I dont have a headache now and my limbs aren't aching anywhere near as much.

Mum has offered to collect DS from playschool and give him lunch etc so I can just chill out until about 2.30, doing nothing. Or, should I go and do some housework?

aloha Thu 03-Mar-05 10:53:10

Um, hate to stay this but I postponed my section because I had a flu-type virus....and went into labour (at 39 weeks). I will keep things crossed for you though!

aloha Thu 03-Mar-05 10:54:23

Just seen Pupuce's post!! Bloody mother nature, more like MIL nature if you ask me
And as for you mckenzie, don't be daft, go back to bed!

uwila Thu 03-Mar-05 12:50:07

lots of fluids and low level exercise (like walking around the house) are good for speeding up the recovery process.

nappybaglady Thu 03-Mar-05 13:02:59

Good luck Mckenzie. Take lots of tissues!

Warm lemonade (a few seconds in the microwave) is very soothing for sore throats and ears.

mckenzie Thu 03-Mar-05 14:28:00

never heard of that one before nappybaglady but I have some lemonade so I'll give it a try.

Having baby here at home (or rather that's the plan) so at least when things start i haven't got to go out in the cold.

Pidge Thu 03-Mar-05 14:36:06

mckenzie - with my first pregnancy I got an appalling, stinking cold and high temperature bang on my due date. Like you I was terrified I would go into labour, when I could hardly get out of bed. I spent 3 days sleeping and feeling terrible, then dp got the bug and spent 3 days under the duvet ...... dd was 8 days late. And like pupuce says I had a feeling my body was waiting for all to be well.

This time round - as you'll see from my ramblings on the march thread - I was due yesterday. I am on fine form, but dp has barely emerged from bed due to some horrible virus thing which has laid him out for the last 8 days. Again, I'm hoping my body knows to hang on to this baby for a bit longer. But am just mulling over alternative birthing partners in case!

Fingers crossed that all is quiet for you too! And hope you feel much better soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now