Talk

Advanced search

Question about catheters

(17 Posts)
Seabright Sun 05-Oct-08 12:19:55

Where exactly do they go, if you need one?

I'd assumed (on the basis of absolutly no knowledge at all) that they went through your side direct into your bladder and drained it that way.

However, have just read in one of my books that it's inserted via the urethra. Does that mean you've got a tube running out of your fanjo? Isn't there enough going on down there already?

pooka Sun 05-Oct-08 12:22:55

Through your urether. Much better that way than having a hole through your body into your bladder shock

I had epidural with dd, and didn't feel it going in (or coming out just after I had her). Would recommend that you try and get them to take it out promptly afterwards because best to try and get back to normal asap (I think).

You only need one if having epidural as far as I am aware. Didn't have one with ds.

pooka Sun 05-Oct-08 12:23:17

Sorry - urethra.

madmarriedNika Sun 05-Oct-08 12:24:57

Yep indeedy they are inserted directly up your urethra. Sounds horrendous but really isn't that bad. They have to be done if you have an epidural or spinal block- twice I've had them done once the anaesthetic was in place so didn't feel it being inserted. Usually kept in place for 24hrs after the epidural or c-section. Which does unfortunately mean you feel them once the anaesthetic wears off and it's a weird sensation but not that uncomfortable- when they remove them it's again a very weird sensation, a little uncomfortable but not at all painfull IME. Hope that doesn't scare you too much!

bruxeur Sun 05-Oct-08 12:25:11

shock

Yes, your urethra runs "out of your fanjo".

Where did you think it went?

lulumama Sun 05-Oct-08 12:25:19

the urethra is not in the fanjo, so you won;t have a tube out of your fanjo, but just in front of it..

you will only need one if you have an epidural or if for any reason you cannot empty your bladder

bruxeur Sun 05-Oct-08 12:25:44

Your urethra, that is...

lulumama Sun 05-Oct-08 12:27:10

www.thewomens.org.au/uploads/images/HealthInformation/HealthTopics/womensinfo/ICSC_catheter2.gif image here of where the catheter goes

ghosty Sun 05-Oct-08 12:29:19

You don't feel it being put in as they tend to do it after the epidural/spinal and it feels a bit odd when they take it out but it is no big deal at all really.
I found for a few days that my pee gushed out a bit quick (probably as the hole is probably stretched a little) but it was back to normal soon enough ...

bellabelly Sun 05-Oct-08 12:31:08

I had one put in for my c-section (after the epidural) asked to have it taken out about 4 hours after and didn't feel a thing. Which was a relief as I'd been really worried about it!

eilidhfi Sun 05-Oct-08 12:38:38

I didn't have an epidural but needed a catheter cos they'd given me lots of fluids (I think cos I'd been in labour for so long) This was about 10mins before I started pushing but I decided I was going to try and pee normally cos a catheter sounded sore so I tried to position myself over the pot thing but I couldn't do it and had to have the catheter anyway.

I don't remember feeling it go in or come out but I do remember the pain of trying to hoik my great big very-in-labour-haven't-slept-for-33-hours body over a little potty thing.

findtheriver Sun 05-Oct-08 12:40:24

I had one for c section but they put it in BEFORE the epidural which tbh hurt quite a lot. And I'm not a wimp - I had previously given birth on just gas and air so I know I can deal with a high level of pain.

It was removed after the epidural had worn off, so again, I felt it, thought coming out wasnt as bad as going in.
Having said that, I've since discovered that there's no reason why they can't put the catheter in AFTER the epidural. I wish I'd known that before - I guess I was just 'done' when it fitted in with available staff etc - getting me all prepped up ready to just go into the theatre for the section. Pretty bad really.

findtheriver Sun 05-Oct-08 12:42:13

P.S if you ever do find yourself in the position of having a catheter inserted without being numbed up, deep breathing REALLY does help. I held my DH's hand and breathed through it like I'd done with contractions during my first labour, which made it bearable.

Playdough Sun 05-Oct-08 12:58:42

I had an epidural with my first labour and hadn't thought about catheters beforehand at all. It was only days after giving birth that I discovered that I'd had one (according to my DH). In other words, it went in and came out without me even noticing! Apparently, they put it in after the epidural had taken effect but I have no memory of when they took it out. It definitely wasn't in for 24 hours after delivery as I wandered down the corridor to use the toilet not very long after delivery - so maybe it was in for one or two hours? Anyway, had I known about it, I think the anticipation would have been far, far worse than the reality. Ignorance, in this instance, really was bliss smile.

bikerunski Sun 05-Oct-08 15:30:24

Had an emergency c section 4 weeks ago. really didn't want a section because of catheter, but it was fine. goes in fanjo route. didn't feel it going in, whilst it was in or coming out the next day. Nothing to worry about. My mind was on other things anyway, such as brand new baby and massive cut across my tummy!

HeathersMummy Sun 05-Oct-08 18:16:43

I had an epidural and catheter, but unlike others have mentioned, the midwife just inserted it periodically to check if my bladder needed to empty. It was only left in for a few minutes each time and was taken out before I delivered my baby. It meant as soon as the epidural had worn off, I was desperate for the loo but that was ok.

biggreypants Sun 05-Oct-08 19:42:08

My catheter was put in for a cs before spinal too and then had to march down to theatre holding it aloft for all to see shock sadists!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now