Talk

Advanced search

do babies always move about less prior to labour starting?

(8 Posts)
mckenzie Tue 01-Mar-05 19:19:59

I'm heard it said that if the baby goes quite it could be a sign that labour is imminent. Is that always true? This little one is still moving about constantly (or at least that's what it feels like) so can I assume that it won't be tonight then?

starlover Tue 01-Mar-05 19:56:55

nope! apparently it's all a myth!
my ds certainly didn't stop moving around... i was still getting elbows/knees/feet being kicked into me up until the big day!

paolosgirl Tue 01-Mar-05 19:59:34

I didn't notice any reduction in movement with either of them, and dd actually continued moving as I was giving birth. The most unpleasant, strange sensation you could imagine.

thedame71 Tue 01-Mar-05 20:03:15

I remember thinking that I hadn't noticed the baby moving very much during early stages of labour but in retrospect I think it was more that I didn't notice it as everything else had completely taken over by then i.e. panic and excitement!

ZoeB Tue 01-Mar-05 20:03:52

On the day of both ickle ones just felt today is the day !!! both came in under an hour from very first contraction.... so the myth that your first takes ages is rubbish too.....Good luck on the birth hope you love it like i did....

Tipex Tue 01-Mar-05 21:41:21

I didnt get any reduction in movements and like paolosgirl was aware of them during labour. In fact i got a huge kick when his head was out whilst waiting to deliver the body! Most odd!! Hope things happen for you soon, Good luck x

Pidge Wed 02-Mar-05 14:57:56

mckenzie - I was just reading the birth story of someone who felt her baby kick throughout labour, including whilst the baby descended the birth canal. So they can definitely keep up the acrobatics. Having said that, I guess generally they have less room for maneuver near the end. My baby is definitely doing less vigorous twisting and turning at the moment (I'm due today ).

Good luck - hope to be with you in the birth announcments section sooooooon!

uwila Wed 02-Mar-05 19:39:00

It may be that if the head is engaged that the whole body doesn't flip around anymore. But I can't think of why that would stop flapping and kicking arms and legs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now