Talk

Advanced search

Flying after section

(16 Posts)
Gawain Tue 30-Sep-08 14:01:31

Does anyone know how soon after a c section you are allowed to fly?
I'm aiming for a vbac but am planning for worst case senario timeline wise so I can book my tickets

Thanks

Bramshott Tue 30-Sep-08 14:03:26

I'm afraid I don't know what the guidelines are, but after any surgery you will be at increased risk of DVT so it's important you wear flight socks and try to keep as mobile as possible.

deanychip Tue 30-Sep-08 14:03:52

I think that you will need to give yourself the 6 weeks.
Plus it depends on where you are going and the health system there.
for eg, what if you develop a wound infection, with the healthcare system where you are going be adequate to deal, are you covered by insurance etc?

Its a wound after major abdominal surgery afterall, give it as long as you can.

McDreamy Tue 30-Sep-08 14:08:41

You would need to consult the individual airline. Don't think there is a standard time. When I did my aeromed course it was 48 hours post op but this was to move patients so slightly different.

Gawain Tue 30-Sep-08 14:14:43

BA who I would be flying with say
http://www.britishairways.com/travel/healthmedcond/public/en_gb#medical

Travelling after surgery
Type of surgery Travel allowed after (number of days)
Major chest, abdominal or
cranial surgery- 10 days

I would need to check the insurance too but I assume that a section counts as abdominal surgery for the flight.
I'm not worried about the healthcare int he country. My mum had pins put in her ankle out there and they were very good.

3littlefrogs Tue 30-Sep-08 14:23:49

The risk of DVT is much higher after pregnancy plus surgery than after surgery in the non-pregnant state IYSWIM. The highest period of risk is in the period 6 weeks after birth.

Personally I would not fly until at least 6 weeks post C/S.

Bramshott Tue 30-Sep-08 14:32:38

Yes, that's a good point littlefrogs - the postpartum period is when you're at most risk of clots anyway, regardless of whether you've had a C/S or not.

Not that we're trying to put you off Gawain wink Why do you need to fly so soon? Are you visiting family?

Countingthegreyhairs Tue 30-Sep-08 14:33:26

agree certainly not before six weeks ...

sorry if tmi ... but I also had quite a bit of post-op um, wind following my caesarean,
and pressurised cabins certainly do not help with that particular complaint !!!

3littlefrogs Tue 30-Sep-08 14:35:03

Also - I wouldn't fly until 6 weeks after a normal delivery either - not worth the risk IMO. So maybe you should book your tickets for after the six weeks?

Gawain Tue 30-Sep-08 14:36:45

Yes its to visit my parents and I'm trying to fit it in before the summer holidays otherwise I can't afford to go. I think I can still do it if I leave it 6 weeks and I book now to make sur eI get a flight.
I'll still check the insurance though

AtheneNoctua Tue 30-Sep-08 14:55:34

Assuming the baby is going with you, I'd be more worried about any health risks to a newborn. I remember not wanting to go to the US when DD was brand new because I wanted to wait and make sure she wwas a healthy baby. Had no reason to think she wouldn't be, but was just being safe. Also, make sure baby's passport can be sorted in time for flight. And, can you buy a plane ticket for a baby who hasn't been born yet?

I would agree that the 6 week wait is a good idea if you will be carrying your own baggage, baby, folding the pram, etc. You might feel fine at 4 weeks... but you don't know until you get there.

3littlefrogs Tue 30-Sep-08 15:01:20

Passport might be a delaying factor - I am not sure how long it takes to get one these days.

SazzlesA Tue 30-Sep-08 15:14:19

Message withdrawn

AtheneNoctua Tue 30-Sep-08 15:20:53

You can get a passport issued in a day if you fork over over £100 or so. I had to do this with DD (age 5) a few months ago because being the bozo that I am I booked a flight to Paris and relised two days prior to departure that her passport had expired. What a brilliant planner I am!!!

Anyway, you go in person and you may spend all day there, but you can walk out with a passport in the evening.

Gawain Wed 01-Oct-08 10:34:13

Thanks people
I spoke to a couple of insurance companies last night and they both said I could fly after 7 days. I'm not planning on that soon but its good to know. Plus baby would be automatically insured I just have to let them know when its born and they can add it to the policy.
I'm going to look at whens cheapest and easiest for my parents but I think I'm happy to go anytime from 6 weeks after my due date. They won't induce me so it will be a section after 10 days overdue if necessary. I'm not too worried though as all my others started with spontaneous labour. I also recovered from my last section very quickly so unless something goes horribly wrong I feel confident to travel.
Now I just have to work out what I'm going to do about carseats and hand luggage. I haven't flown for 6 years so I'll have to look into the new rules.

Gawain Wed 01-Oct-08 10:36:32

Oh and I have some sexy socks {grin}

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now