Talk

Advanced search

CS wound leaking serous fluid.

(33 Posts)
bubble99 Mon 28-Feb-05 23:47:54

After an emergency CS 12 days ago I am left with a wound which is leaking a straw-coloured serous type fluid. This started before I was discharged from hospital and I was given a course of two types of heavy duty antibiotics to prevent infection.
The wound sems to be healing OK apart from a tiny (size of a pin head) opening at one end of the scar. The MW's in both hospital and community have advised me to keep it clean and dry and to pad with gauze and tape.
I've just had a bath and whilst wiping around the scar I've been sprayed (sorry, this is gory) with a jet of aforementioned fluid.
I'll phone the community MW's tomorrow morning and get one of them to have another look but I'm now worrying that I'll need to have the wound re sutured. No obvious redness or swelling and my temp. is normal.

Has this happened to any of you?

MummytoSteven Mon 28-Feb-05 23:53:36

sorry, didn't have a C-Section, so don't have the answer, but just wanted to bump this, and for you not to feel that the post was going unanswered iyswim

RTKangaMummy Tue 01-Mar-05 00:08:59

sorry don't know either

Does it smell infected? IYSWIM

Could you phone the hospital to ask them this evening?

Did they say anything about ringing if worried about anything like it not healing properly.

Hope someone comes along that knows about healing wounds

It is quite slow tonight though.

RTKangaMummy Tue 01-Mar-05 00:12:19

bump

ScummyMummy Tue 01-Mar-05 00:13:25

Think it's a good idea to phone the hospital for reassurance, bubble99. Or even NHS direct and speak to a GP?

jampots Tue 01-Mar-05 00:16:01

its a while ago since i had my sections but think i remember the straw coloured fluid. Are you making sure you keep the area clean and dry as im assuming the scar/wound is actually covered by your lovely tummy right now? I think instead of introducing sponge/flannels to the area I would simply use the showerhead to wash the area and use a mild soap too, pat it dry and wear cotton knickers (biggies preferably) as i remember leaving a straw coloured stain on my nice white bikini knicks just wear the wound was.

RTKangaMummy Tue 01-Mar-05 00:19:23

nhs direct

0845 46 47

HTH

RTKangaMummy Tue 01-Mar-05 00:26:26

RTKangaMummy Tue 01-Mar-05 00:39:04

RTKangaMummy Tue 01-Mar-05 01:56:21

bumping for the early morning crew

please keep bumping

NotQuiteCockney Tue 01-Mar-05 07:18:54

This sounds a bit alarming, but may well be ok. What kind of volume of fluid are we talking? Spoons? Or cups? Is the fluid clear? (Spoons of clear fluid doesn't sound that alarming, any other combination, a bit more worrisome.)

I would certainly have this checked. Do you feel ok, physically, otherwise?

(I'm very sorry for your loss, by the way.)

bubble99 Tue 01-Mar-05 07:20:40

Thanks RTKangaMummy

And thanks for your support on the other grim thread. I'll be in touch with you soon re:twins but at the moment I'm just trying to get through the practicalities of wound healing etc. It's so difficult trying to deal with everything as it is and this wound business is just adding insult to injury. I don't think it's infected and the MW's don't seem concerned about it but if it's leaking it's not healing as there is obviously an outlet for the leakage. I'm going to phone the MW's at 8am before they leave their office for visits. Thanks again.

Bubble XX

NotQuiteCockney Tue 01-Mar-05 07:26:31

This may well be the normal fluid that needs to drain, just not normally via your scar.

But it's got to be impossible to keep dry (which it needs, to heal), if fluid is coming out from it.

Good luck with the midwives. Neither of my CS scars did this.

bubble99 Tue 01-Mar-05 07:26:59

Posts crossed NotQuiteCockney

We're talking spoons of fluid but it seems to be pooling in a 'pocket' around the hole, hence the jet spray when I pressed near it. I feel OK physically otherwise, just a bit sore and I've got some strong painkillers to deal with that.
Thanks for your thoughts.

Miaou Tue 01-Mar-05 08:51:40

another bump for bubble

Flossam Tue 01-Mar-05 08:58:07

I think it sounds quite normal. The midwifes should be checking your wound if it wasn't completely healed (which it wouldn't of been) when you left hospital. As long as the fliud isn't foul smelling it should be ok. It is possible that a small area of the wound requires a different dressing to help it to heal and to help it stay clean and dry. Providing that it is only usually small amounts that is normally enough to patch you up so to speak! I would, as the others have said, keep the area clean and dry, and also observe to make sure the little hole isn't gettting any bigger. Make sure the midwife looks it over and tell her you are concerned. She should be able to put your mind at rest too! Poor you, this is a worry you shouldn't have to be concerned about right now.

nutcracker Tue 01-Mar-05 09:18:36

My wound did leak a bit of fluid and i did have a tiny hole at one end too, but the MW's said it was fine so long as it didn't smell and wasn't getting red, which it wasn't.

I would still get it checked though just to be sure.

uwila Tue 01-Mar-05 09:28:24

I had a cs almost two years ago, and did not experiency anything leaking from my wound. Lots of nasty fluid drained out down below for a week or two... sorry, yuk, I know. I think you are right that if fluid is draining out the would there must be a hole where there shouldn't be allowing the flow through.

I think I'd go sit in the consultants office and demand some answers... though you may be a nicer more polite person than I am. In fact, after all you've been through, I can't believe they wouldn't give yo immediate attention for a toenail trim.

I definitely think you should have this seen to sooner rather than later.

mears Tue 01-Mar-05 09:35:59

Hi bubble99. The leakage you describe is really common with C/S wounds. Was a swab taken before you started antibiotics? Sometimes there can be an infection present that needs a different antibiotic. Since it is still clear fluid it isn't likely to be an infection but possibly blood clot that is being broken down under the wound surface. It can remain there for a good few days until healing takes place fully. You are doing the right thing by getting the midwives to come and see it. You will not need the wound resutured from what you describe. It is a very common thing to happen and can be part of the healing process.

jabberwocky Tue 01-Mar-05 09:36:05

I seem to remember one area that was a little weepy but nothing like the volume you are talking about. Would just check in with them for reassurance if I were you.

bubble99 Tue 01-Mar-05 11:28:11

Thanks everyone

The MW is coming to have a look today. It was swabbed before I started on the antibiotics. I'm taking Metronidazole and Cefalexin which should zap anything and I assume that if the swab grows anything unusual my antibiotics will be reviewed. Too true Uwila I say "assume" loosely, after my recent experience I will no longer "assume" anything and will be sure to hound whoever to follow up the swab results.
Thanks Mears, am I right in thinking that once whatever it is has broken down below the scar surface the little hole will start to heal? I'm checking it regularly for redness and swelling. I started worrying that it may be a sinus but all seems OK

Marina Tue 01-Mar-05 11:33:45

Mears has given you a far better explanation as to why this happens than I ever had Bubble, but I had this exact thing with my second cs wound. I was told to make a special effort to keep that end of the wound dry and I used disposable gauze pads from Boots for a few days to protect it, and mop up the extra fluid. It healed fine in the end. I hope yours does too Bubble.

bubble99 Tue 01-Mar-05 12:18:39

The MW has just visited. No cause for concern. As mears has said it happens when there's a clot below the surface and as the surgery was particularly traumatic there may be more damage to the underlying tissue than usual. She'd apparently looked after a woman who, every time she leant forward, would trickle serous fluid. This went on for a few weeks before the little hole gradually closed. I've been warned that it may take quite a while to heal completely. I've been experiencing more pain around the scar but I'm told that this is due to the nerve endings, cut during the surgery, recovering.
Oh well,I'll just have to pop a couple of my super duper painkillers and Elijah and I can veg in front of the TV

RTKangaMummy Tue 01-Mar-05 12:23:56

Glad MV came and checked you out.

TV vegging my fav hobby along with Mumsnet

mears Tue 01-Mar-05 15:18:32

Hope it doesn't take too long to heal Bubble. The hole will heal over once the fluid stops leaking. Glad your midwife could reassure you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now