Talk

Advanced search

Independent MIdwives

(24 Posts)
norash40 Mon 28-Feb-05 20:34:08

Any recommendations ladies. Any opinions? Is it worth it?

prunegirl Mon 28-Feb-05 20:37:21

Message withdrawn

norash40 Mon 28-Feb-05 20:40:08

Grove Park, Lewisham Borough

Xena Mon 28-Feb-05 20:43:47

Sorry I just posted this question on the other thread. How much should you expect to pay for an independent midwife?

franch Mon 28-Feb-05 20:44:40

Xena, see this thread

norash40 Mon 28-Feb-05 20:44:50

I don't know, what is the norm?

pupuce Mon 28-Feb-05 20:46:22

£2500 minimum up to £5000 - average £3000 I believe.
Doulas are a cheaper option but it depends why you want an independent midwife.

norash40 Mon 28-Feb-05 20:47:50

Is that just for the delivery?

pupuce Mon 28-Feb-05 20:50:59

No all your care.

franch Mon 28-Feb-05 20:54:33

I talked to my NHS m/w about indep m/ws - she trained with one and is very enthusiastic about them - she said you can generally negotiate a very good rate if you hire them just for the birth - a lot of them are quite flexible about their fees

hatsoff Mon 28-Feb-05 21:11:54

tbh hiring them just for the birth, for me, defeats the object. the great strength of an independent midwife is that they spend time geting to know you before hand. As I said on teh otehr thread Norash, the Birth Centre is great. One of it's benefits is that - if you don;t want to - you don;t have to make your mind up in advance where you want the baby. They come to your house at the early stages and will stay and deliver the baby at home, take you to the birth centre (small house, nice rooms, birthing pools, double bed for you and dh) or to the hospital - subject to the restrictions mentioned on otehr thread

franch Mon 28-Feb-05 21:15:20

I would go for the whole package too hatsoff if poss, but norash has only 4 weeks to go I think!

franch Mon 28-Feb-05 21:18:04

AFAIK the Birth Centre charges £5000 whether you have antenatal care with them or not - so unless you're super-rich you might want to consider one of the less expensive/more flexible options for care in the final stages only. Not that I'm arguing with the Birth Centre's fabulous reputation - everything I've heard about it is great and they were highly recommended by my trusted antenatal teacher.

hatsoff Mon 28-Feb-05 21:20:37

still time to squeeze in a few ante-natal appointments. I went to the Birth centre at about 34 weeks, I think

norash40 Tue 01-Mar-05 11:46:51

hey hatsoff you in here today?

hatsoff Tue 01-Mar-05 14:20:41

norash - kind of, but am at work, CAT me, easier to check my email

bubble99 Tue 01-Mar-05 19:52:47

I spent a lot of time talking to midwives during my recent stay in hospital and this subject came up. The opinion I gathered was that although there are some excellent independent practitioners there are also some nightmare cases. The hospital I was in had dealt recently with some cases where the mother and unborn baby had been brought in as emergency cases following botched home labours. In two cases the results were stillbirths and in the other the baby had sustained brain damage due to prolonged hypoxia during labour. In one case the antenatal/labour notes had read "Sat in the conservatory with mum. Oh what a beautiful morning it is and how lovely the garden looks" No mention of fetal heart rates etc.

I think it's like anything, get references and check on the professional qualifications of the midwife. I know that nurses have to undertake a set amount of hours of practice and accredited study in order to maintain their registration. This keeps them up to date with current clinical thinking/practice. I'm fairly sure that MW's have to do the same. I would personally be wary of anyone who could not demonstrate/prove recent updating of skills and qualifications which may have been gained many years ago.

franch Tue 01-Mar-05 19:58:28

That's alarming bubble. I think you'll be fine if you use someone from the Indep MWs Assocn - their website says 'All independent midwives are subject to yearly supervisory visits and equipment checks and must notify their NHS appointed Supervisor of Midwives of their "Intention to Practise" each April. In line with the requirements of our regulatory body, the NMC, we are required to ensure that our clinical practice is up to date and that our actions are within our sphere of competence.'

bubble99 Tue 01-Mar-05 20:11:22

That's good to hear franch. I may have encountered some "them and us" attitudes when talking to the hospital MW's. After experiencing the "care" given to me by two of the hospital MW's recently during my botched labour and subsequent stillbirth there is certainly an element of "Dear pot, love kettle"

pupuce Wed 02-Mar-05 18:46:25

Franch that is VERY interesting because I know a local Ind. MW has been told she is no longer allowed in both labour wards local to me - following serious incidents (and these interdcitions are issued from each hopsital's supervisor of MW... so do they have any say besides being notified?)... and she is CERTAINLY listed with the association.... hmmm...

franch Wed 02-Mar-05 19:14:58

That's very worrying pupuce. Sounds like that leaves people very vulnerable if they're going for homebirths. Looks like you'd need to do lots of thorough research.

Ameriscot2005 Wed 02-Mar-05 19:20:26

Looking at the performance of one or two independent midwives is purely anecdotal. It's the same as looking at the performance of NHS midwives - there are going to be some slip-ups in both camps over the course of a career.

People choose independent midwives because they feel that's the best way to get the kind of birth they want. What's wrong with that?

We all have a choice of where and how to give birth, and if you can afford it, you simply have more choices open to you.

franch Wed 02-Mar-05 19:39:19

Gosh, there's nothing wrong with that, Ameriscot, I hope I didn't sound like I thought there was. I'm passionately pro-homebirth, and choice, and am going to hire an indep m/w myself this time round if I don't feel confident in the NHS homebirth that's my first choice (due to lack of funds).

pupuce Wed 02-Mar-05 19:42:05

Ameriscot - I am totally with you.... I think Ind. MW are usually very good and until recently I thought they were extremly good and the only one who would support you through more unconventional requests like VBAC, twins and breech at home. This is until I heard a story from the parents who had employed the Ind. MW and the NHS MW who "sorted" out the problem that the Ind. MW had not diagnosed.... I agree with what Bubble said though, the safety of the baby is paramount and there is a minimum of due care necessary when someone attends a birth... so I would hope and expect that all Ind. MW are exceptionnally good but it is not becasue you shell out ££££ that you necessarily get the best care... The portland is IMO and IME a good example of that - it costs a fortune and whilst the vast majority of women are delighted with it, I have colleaguyes who ahve been to it and when the care is described.... it can be very surprising!
I should add that what consitutes good care to one might not be the same to someone else.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now