Talk

Advanced search

SPD and birth - does it affect your choices?

(11 Posts)
kazbeth Fri 26-Sep-08 19:38:37

I have recently been diagnosed with spd. I haven't had any real info yet from midwife or physio so was wondering if you would be so kind as to answer some questions for me please.

I was hoping for a home birth but will this make any difference? Will I still be able to have one? Did having spd make any difference to your birth do you think - ie make it more painful than it would have been otherwise (difficult to tell though I guess)? Did you have to be or opt to be induced because of it?

Thanks

nickytwotimes Fri 26-Sep-08 19:42:09

Hi.
I had mild SPD but severe SI joint pain. I was lucky to see a fab physio and my consultant told ne that the treatmebt I'd had from the physio actually made my delivery more straightforward. It was a good delivery - no intervention, though I was in a mw unit, not at home (My choice).
My friend had bad SPD and had a normal delivery too.
I hadn't really considered that it would make any difference. [thicko]!

CarGirl Fri 26-Sep-08 19:45:41

I had SPD in my last 2 pregnancies and it didn't prevent me booking a homebirth. Just be careful when you actually deliver to adopt the best positions to prevent damage - up right or on all fours.

I also recommend getting treatment whilst pregnant our hospital physios did nothing but I found an osteopath who got me off the crutches and in my last pregnancy helped prevent it getting severe.

kazbeth Fri 26-Sep-08 20:10:32

Thanks, I wasn't sure if it would make any difference but wanted to check just incase they use it as an excuse for me not to have a home birth or something [me, paranoid - never grin].

Unfortunately CarGirl, we wouldn't be able to afford an osteopath at the moment. Glad it helped you though. I'm really shocked by how many people have to go through this and how little help you get as well although I realise when you're pregnant the options are limited.

domesticslattern Fri 26-Sep-08 20:14:04

Hellos kazbeth, sorry to hear that you have SPD.

My delivery after SPD was fine, not a problem at all, six hours from start to finish. In fact, don't get your hopes up, but I was told that my delivery was easier because my pelvis was already nice and open (not technical terms I know) so easier to get the baby out. Just watch your positions and don't spread your knees too much, which can make the internal examinations difficult. As Cargirl says, giving birth on all fours is a good idea. That's what I did.

I certainly can't see it affecting a homebirth.

Can I recommend that you have a good look at the many MN threads about SPD offering tips on how to manage it during your pregnancy? (just do a search on SPD). If you start doing things now at an early stage then it is less likely to get worse during the later months. That is especially important if you are not getting info from your MW or physio. sad

littlelamb Fri 26-Sep-08 20:20:54

I had SPD with both deliveries. The first was an induction and was terrible, ending up with an epidural, on my back andlegs forced further apart than was comfortable (or necessary imo) Very painful afterwards.

Second delivery was wonderful, 3.5 hours from start to finish and I really wish I had had the guts to stay at home, as the midwife who came out to see me in early labour said I could. She was marvellous, was actually an active birth teacher, and when we got to hospital she cranked the bed as high as it would go so I could lean over it. It was fab, very easy birth, ds was born with me in a supported squat with dp behind me on a birth ball. I would say though not to expect the SPD to just disappear. I was quite worried when i was still having trouble a few weeks later but I suppose every thing needs to tighten back up again and now 15 weeks on I can honestly not remember the pain of SPD (damn these hormones making you think you would happily do it all again!)

kazbeth Fri 26-Sep-08 20:35:31

THanks domesticslattern, that's reasuring to hear you had a straightforward birth. This pregnancy has been so much more difficult than my last one - I had a 4 1/2 hour home birth which was very straightforward so I'm paranoid this is karma and this time it'll be 40 hours and god awful!

Thanks too littlelamb - great to hear you've forgotten the pain(not that I'm having anymore!). those hormones do a good job don't they!

GreenMonkies Fri 26-Sep-08 21:06:49

I had SPD/SI pain with both my pregnancies, I had DD1 in hospital, where they ignored the instructions written across the front of my Mat Notes (in beg red letters) by the Obstetric Physio saying "non-supine labour, extreme care to be taken with pelvis" and put me in stirrups anyway, resulting in a prolapsed disk at L4/5.

My second pregnancy was hideous, I was in a support belt by 26 weeks, and signed off work by 30 because I could barely walk. However, I had a fast, easy, pain-free homebirth.

Does that help?? grin

Lotster Sat 27-Sep-08 13:56:43

Hi there, am pregnant again having had SPD for the latter half of my first pregnancy, and quite a while after. It is such a swine but there's a lot you can do to protect yourself from pain and future damage.

Ask/beg/insist(!) your doctor to be referred for NHS physio, they can give you strengthening excercises to help you to keep your pelvic girdle as stable as poss.

My physio said if nothing else "Always behave as if you are wearing a short skirt and no knickers!" This way you keep you knees symetrically together and ladylike, avoiding overstretching of your ligaments.
Also placing both legs out of the car before levering up, avoiding standing on one leg wherever possible etc, will help alot. Swimming is great for strengthening, but NO breaststroke. And don't cross your legs either!

Later in your pregnancy, your midwife will measure your "pain free gap" and put it on your notes - this is to let the midwives know exactly how far apart your knees can go without hurting/damaging you.

I had a forcep birth, but I insisted they got the screw on calipers for the bed instead of stirrups as they're closer, and they did this.

There's no reason for you not to have a home birth IMO. I went to fully dilated in the water with just gas and air, the labour pain takes over from the SPD pain, but the entenox is great. I only had a spinal last minute because of the position of the baby. At home you can't have that, but then again you're more vulnerable under epidural as you can't feel when the SPD worsens anyway.

Contact the lvely ladies at the Pelvic Partnership www.pelvicpartnership.org.uk and they'll send you an info pack and can support you on the phone.

Hope it stays mild for you. smile

notcitrus Sat 27-Sep-08 15:16:23

I had SPD and gave birth 2 weeks ago. At 39 weeks I was still being offered a homebirth if I wanted, and advised that a water birth would be a good option - comfortable and supportive.

In the event, I went to the midwife-led unit and was most comfortable in the pool and on a beanbag for 8 hours. unfortunately I didn't dilate any further and as soon as I'd gone into labour (around 4am, went to MLU around 10am) my SPD and lots of other joints had got a lot worse and very painful.

So by 6pm the contractions were fine with gas+air and TENS, but I couldn't sit or lie down or kneel, which not only made using the loo very hard but got to the point where I was screaming in any position. This was when I decided an epidural might be a good idea.

Over the next 18 hours I was OK with epi top-ups and my partner hauling me into position when it came to pushing. We don't ththink it was SPD slowing it down. The SPD was only an issue when I needed to vomit after the ventouse delivery as I had to shout at the docs to help me sit up as I couldn't, and post-natally I couldn't sit up or get out of bed in under 5 minutes, but luckily I already had someone with me for communication purposes who could pass me the baby. If we'd known the SPD would be that much worse (we'd got a wheelchair for the last couple weeks, but I hadn't realised I woldn't be able to manoeuver in bed at all), I'd have got an accessible room which might have helped.

Two weeks on my SPD is much better and just have some backache. But calling on loads of people to be at home and able to get me tea/food/pillows/carry baby upstairs/hold baby while I get an hours kip was the best move ever. Even without the SPD.

ajm200 Sat 27-Sep-08 17:26:38

In labour, my spd was worse than the contractions but then I had a pretty severe case and had been on crutches for months and then spent 5 days in bed being monitored prior to the birth

Took nearly 6 months to clear up entirely but I was able to walk without crutches immediately after the birth. The recovery would have been quicker if I'd chosen not to BF

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now