Talk

Advanced search

This is just unreasonable - postnatal rash?! Probably TMI...

(20 Posts)
hopefully Wed 24-Sep-08 16:26:50

Am now a week after giving birth, and I have to say, the most painful bit is not the acres of stitches, or the monstrous piles, but the ridiculous rash I've developed. I assume it's come from wearing a maternity pad constantly, although I changed it regularly.

Basically, the very tops of my inner thighs and the inside and outside of my outer labia are completely raw, and sting like you wouldn't believe. The top layer of skin has completely rubbed off, exposing raw pink flesh below.

Does anyone know what I can put on this? i tried Sudocrem on the bits on my thighs, which made it less painful, but appears to have blocked the pores to the extent that my rash is now joined by what look like big spots.

I've tried having lots of time with knickers off (elegant, I know), but because I'm so swollen the air isn't really getting to them.

TurkeyLurkey Wed 24-Sep-08 16:29:37

Oh you poor thing. To be honest I would ring the midwife or go the docs as they might have something a bit more potent that would help clear it up.

Pushpinia Wed 24-Sep-08 16:29:56

Golly. This sounds like it could be something bacterial, please get it checked out - you might have picked up a strep germ or something during labour, was it in hospital?

Skin coming off is not a good thing really. sad

Can you see someone today? It's not something I would want to leave tbh.

Pushpinia Wed 24-Sep-08 16:31:02

This is not normal after giving birth btw.

TurkeyLurkey Wed 24-Sep-08 16:33:51

Totally agree with pushpina.

WowOoo Wed 24-Sep-08 16:39:03

Oh my gosh, sounds horrid. Go and see someone if at all possible ASAP.
I would have a soak in bath (even though it might sting it will clean you up.)

I bathed myself with weak TCP antiseptic solution once and it stung like heck but healed v quickly....but it was nothing like you describe so may not be best advice.

Congratulations on your new baby.

Pushpinia Wed 24-Sep-08 16:39:54

Are you ringing GP Hopefully?

I would hate to think of you suffering another minute of this!

<winces>

TurkeyLurkey Wed 24-Sep-08 16:41:20

Ooh yes, how are you having a wee? God it was like passing razor blades and I didn't have any of what you are suffering.

Godd luck.

TurkeyLurkey Wed 24-Sep-08 16:41:39

Good luck I mean.

hopefully Wed 24-Sep-08 17:00:06

how funny - dp's been trying to get me to ring doc's but i thought i was just being pathetic. everyone's response has made it clear i should give someone a call - will try doc and/or post natal ward.

oopsacoconut Wed 24-Sep-08 17:40:04

Hope you have managed to see someone - sounds a bit like a thrush nappy rash. You need to get it sorted ASAP so you can enjoy your baby and feel like a person again!

Pushpinia Wed 24-Sep-08 17:54:02

Yes I hope you can see the out of hours tonight if GP is booked up.

If the skin's rubbing off you could get a worse infection iyswim, it leaves you vulnerable.

Deffo see someone tonight smile

biggreypants Wed 24-Sep-08 20:42:43

You have my utmost sympathy, have been suffering a manky fanjo myself for 3 bloody months myself. (am 5 months post natal)
First bc pill I was put on dried my cervix up so everything stuck together internally, second one I was put on sorted that out (took 6 fecking weeks though) but has left me swollen and raw externally (ouch bloody ouch)
Anyway my last period I was suffering like you I think the pill caused me to have a reaction to the pads I was using, most have nasty chemicals in them due to the bleaching process and as your hormones are all over the place you could be more sensitive to them.
it might sound silly but perhaps you could use cotton flannels instead of pads like thee good ole days!
Myself I have ditched the bc pills altogether now will never mess with my hormones again!

expatinscotland Wed 24-Sep-08 20:44:25

Get a mooncup, biggrey.

biggreypants Wed 24-Sep-08 20:51:43

Have been toying with the idea expat I can see they,re very popular on here!
Am a bit fanny phobic about shoving anything up there at the mo though! (poor hubby included)

expatinscotland Wed 24-Sep-08 20:53:33

i absolutely hate sanitary towels.

yuk.

they give me an allergic reaction as well.

that's why i switched to mooncup.

makes periods much lighter, too.

hopefully Thu 25-Sep-08 11:17:43

Spoke to MW last night, who advised me to keep it clean and she'd come and look at it. having taken a look this morning she thinks it's just my propensity to excema combined with bleeding and discharge. Have been using Natracare maternity pads, so can't even blame it on skanky chemicals. Am now spending lots of time pants free and making a nasty mess of every towel in the house.

She also advised E45, which I might try later. Life is unfair to me at the moment! Apart from the perfect baby, obviously... grin

oopsacoconut Thu 25-Sep-08 12:08:06

Hi hopefully

I used maternitymats to sit on- tyhey saved the towels!! i hate sanitary towels generally so post birth was the worst horror for me. I foubnd i got rashes etc i used witchhazel on a towel oncea day and sat in it cooling and dried up any damp rash. enjoy the knicker free moments in bed with your baby skin to skin. if all else fails it will make you feel better!
sorry for bad tping - bf and trying to type not verycoordinated!

hopefully Thu 25-Sep-08 13:02:01

Oops thanks for the suggestion - will get DP to get some maternity mats, and try the witch hazel - have been using it post-toilet, but sitting on a pad of it for a while might be rather nice too.

Oh, the glamour. Whoever coined the phrase yummy mummy should be shot right now on grounds of false advertising.

expatinscotland Thu 25-Sep-08 13:07:33

a gel pack or frozen peas, towel on top and spritz it with witch hazel.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now