Talk

Advanced search

What are the chances of them agreeing to induce me at 38/40 weeks, for the following reasons...?

(21 Posts)
NatalieJaneIsPregnantAgain Tue 23-Sep-08 13:09:43

I am only 25+3 at the moment so it's a long way off yet, but I'm seeing my MW next week for the first time on my own (i.e. without DS1 there, so I can cry sob talk openly about my fears) Reasons are as follows:

1) DS2's labour was 2 hours long from waters breaking, to him being born, I'm expecting this one to be even quicker.

2) DH can be anywhere up to 4 or 5 hours away with work, and he is out at least 12 hours on a week day, plus Saturday mornings and is also on call on certain weekends.

3) I have absolutely no emergency childcare for DS1 and 2, (6yo and 2yo, or will be 2yo by then) the only person who could have the boys for us is my MIL who has already said she wouldn't have them unless I was booked in for an induction, so she has 'time to prepare' (hmm separate issues here obviously). She is also at the very least 40 minutes drive away, so even if she would agree to come at the drop of a hat, she may well be too late anyway.

4) I have an Irritable Uterus, which is the reason I'd ask to be delivered at 38 weeks rather than 40, it seems I'll be doing well to stay pregnant till 38 weeks anyway, and TBH, the way the contractions are coming now, I don't even want to think about being left to go to 42 weeks, to point out the obvious but often looked over point, from 38-42 weeks is another month of little or no sleep, and very strong, painful, regular contractions, day and night.

Aside from the IU problem, I am absolutely terrified (already!) of going into labour with my boys here, (or worse, DS1 at school with no one around to pick him up) DH being miles and miles away, having a super quick labour, with no chance of anyone getting here, either for me, or my DS's.

The problem is I am a very loud labourer, and once I get to about 6cm (which took about 20 minutes last time, 20 minutes of not too bad niggles and then all hell let lose), I am just in a world of my own and anything could be going on around me and I wouldn't know or care about it. I have visions of DS2 burning the house down and DS1 sat in the corner holding his ears to block out my noise, they would both be absolutely petrified to see me in full throws of labour, and once I start I can't stop it, I can't physically move, I wouldn't be able to get to the phone or anything.

Of course because I have spent all this time worrying about it, it will go nothing like this, and DH will be here with MIL on her way, and all will be fine, but to keep my mind sane in the mean time, does anyone know what the chances of the MW/consultant agreeing to book me in for an induction are? (I have been induced twice, so know all the risks and downsides).

TIA

feeble Tue 23-Sep-08 13:59:42

I was induced early at 29 weeks because I had relly bad SPD with my 2nd and couldnt cope with the pain anymore. I think it depends on your consultant though. I know they don't like inducing unless they have to. If you don't ask you don't get is my motto.

mummyclare Tue 23-Sep-08 14:00:36

I think you have an extremely good case for asking to be induced. I really hope they are reasonable and offer to help you. Good luck.

MamaG Tue 23-Sep-08 14:01:54

dunno but good luck when you see mw, let us know how you get on

lulumama Tue 23-Sep-08 14:05:25

i think your chnaces are excellent, it is not like it is just becasue you are tired of being pregnant, you have genuine and serious concerns and worries.

lulumama Tue 23-Sep-08 14:05:46

i have supported women induced due to similar concerns

NatalieJaneIsPregnantAgain Tue 23-Sep-08 14:06:05

See this is my other problem, I have SPD, and on the whole at the moment it is bareable, most days it is just uncomfortable, but then I'll have a day where it is agony, it can honestly take me 5 minutes to be able to get out of bed, (I am sure you'll know all of this and more with you having it that badly before) if it stays like how it is at the moment throughout the whole pregnancy then I wouldn't use it as an excuse to be induced, but if it got to the point where my 'bad days' are every day, then maybe that would have a baring on the decision as well?

I am deffo going to ask, but wanted to know if anyone knew if it is just a pipe dream, or if I will have finally found an answer!

NatalieJaneIsPregnantAgain Tue 23-Sep-08 14:07:02

Sorry last post was directed to Feeble!

So it looks like it is a goer? I am willing to beg BTW!

NatalieJaneIsPregnantAgain Tue 23-Sep-08 14:12:13

The other thing I can see throwing a spanner in the works is that I'll hit 38 weeks 5 days before xmas (also a Saturday), I don't know if that would be enough of a reason for them to decline it on it's own?

feeble Tue 23-Sep-08 14:15:15

it is hard with spd and other children - heres a hug
good luck I think you have very good reasons for asking and I only had that reason so I hope they say yes! smile

NatalieJaneIsPregnantAgain Tue 23-Sep-08 14:18:58

DH is being amazing, when it first started getting noticable and I was huffing and puffing with the laundry basket he would be like hmm at me, but I think it has slowly sunk in just how bad it can get, and he won't even let me lift the box of washing tablets now let alone the load of the washing!

Fingers crossed they see it as clearly as all of you!

flossie64 Tue 23-Sep-08 14:19:18

I don't see why I was booked for an induction with my dd and it was on 24th dec at 2pm !!
I went into labour on 20th by BTW and had a very quick birth so it didn't happen.
also the actual birth was on a Saturday and there were 2 others there that day for induction ,so I would think it makes no difference about the day. HTH

largeginandtonic Tue 23-Sep-08 14:21:14

I think you may find NJ that they will not induce.

Sorry my sweet.

I had a precipitate (super fast) delievery with ds#4, he was 9lb and a shoulder dystocia, just 40 minutes.

The next baby was spinning (unstable lie) right up until 39 and a half weeks and they didnt hospitalise me or mention induction.

I could have gone in to very rapid labour with an undiagnosed breech baby who may have got shoulder dystocia.

I also had the on off labour from 32 weeks and was given all the drugs under the sun to stop him coming out.

I think it will be a wait and see approach, they may monitor you more closely but tbh it may end up you being in hospital so they can see you and that could be worse.

I have been told this time that they will do an ECV if the baby is spinning again and induce me at 39 weeks if it is succesful. That is all they will offer!

Your midwife will refer you to the consultant for a chat anyhoo. You must plead your claim and cry wink you never know!

muppetgirl Tue 23-Sep-08 14:24:42

I had issues with growth. ds 2 was large (1/2 oz off 10lb in the end) and I am small (5 foot 2) I had a history of a long labour, severe PND but they said they would induce at 38 weeks with ds 2 as he was still measuring big had lots of growth scans and then they changed their minds saying we don;t induce for large babies even though they said they would and I had associated mental health problems. In the end ds 2 was 1/2 oz off 10lbs, I had forceps as he got stuck due to his size (shoulders) they didn't do an episiotomy and I suffered a 3rd degree tear. All which could have been avoided by inducing at 38 weeks.

You can ask but I don't hold out much hope.

muppetgirl Tue 23-Sep-08 14:26:38

Oh and ds 1 was a large ish baby being 9lb 1oz so I have history now of growing babies I can't deliver but I still got told any future dc 3 would still be approached naturally.

mummyclare Tue 23-Sep-08 14:27:19

If they say no, ask for a second opinion.

curlywurlycremeegg Tue 23-Sep-08 14:34:30

I think you have to have a serious think about what you want to happen if the induction doesn't work, just because you have an irritable uterus does not mean an induction will work. Usually a failed induction would then end up with a c/s, however as you would not be being induced for any medical reason (ie immediate danger to yourself or your baby)would you want to go home and wait for things to happen of their own accord? Of course then you will have to face all the concerns that you have now. You also have to tremember that you are asking an obstetrcian to make a clinical jugement on the induction, if something goes wrong, be it respiratory distress syndrome from a baby that wasn't really ready to be born or a reaction to the oxytocics used, the obstetrician will have to be confident he made the right clinical decision in sanctioning the induction in the first place IYSWIM.

NatalieJaneIsPregnantAgain Tue 23-Sep-08 15:40:11

LG&T, you trend setter! It was all going my way till you piped up wink

I am prepared (in an unprepared way - I don't have a back up plan, other than labouring with no medical assistance and with my boys here!) for them to say a blank no, and TBH hadn't really thought about what if the induction failed because I have always been very easy to start off, just the gel, no drips or anything, so it has given me food for thought. The very last thing I want is a CS, especially so close to xmas. Also me being in hospital for any duration other than life and death sort of scenarios is an absolute no go.

Still I have to ask, if they say no, I am no worse off than I am now, except maybe a lot bit pissed off!

largeginandtonic Tue 23-Sep-08 16:07:37

My induction didnt work Nat, two lots of pessaries later and still no baby despite being 10 days late and with a irritable uterus.

I am DESPERATE to avoid induction this time. It was awful.

He came when he was good and ready hmm all 9lb 2oz of him and his huge transverse in pelvis head wink

This time i am taking nothing for granted and leaving a wide open mind.

If one more person says to me 'It must be like shelling peas by now' i may get physical...

ajm200 Tue 23-Sep-08 16:14:23

I think most hospitals only agree to early inductions on health grounds so you might get a refusal but why not ask, the worst they'll do is say no.

NatalieJaneIsPregnantAgain Tue 23-Sep-08 16:18:45

See I think I'd cope better with a failed induction than labouring alone at home. At least I'd then feel like we'd done all we could to avoid it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now