Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

C-section pain above incision and on and off bleeding

(11 Posts)
php2731 Mon 22-Sep-08 13:26:36

I had C-section 11 weeks ago and I am facing the following problems:

> I still have a pain (not very intense) above incision ( both internal and external) in my lower abdomen. Feel like kind of lump when sit in particular position in bed etc.. Also feel pain internally when I press around the incision area. How long does this type of pain last till I feel completely normal? Is this normal for pain to last that long or should i be concerned about this..

> My vaginal bleeding stopped around 3 weeks after the C-sec and then suddenly from around 6 week it started again. The blood is red like a fresh cut, has smell and am having kind of cramping pain. I had transvaginal exam, and doctor said that my uterus is ok and it may be possible becos of breastfeeding which cause hormonal imbalance causing this bleedng!! Anyone had on and off bleeding after c-section and when did it stop finally.

Thanks a lot.

aquababe Mon 22-Sep-08 13:38:28

not sure about the bleeding though mine took a long time to stop

I had pain around my scar for some time. It would hurt if I over did it up to 2 yrs after. However other peoples clear up a lot quicker it depends on how fast a healer you are.

still 11 weeks is very soon a c section is major surgery.

If you are concerned about your bleeding I would go back to gp particularly as you say it smells. Thats not great.

hopefully some one else will come along soon

php2731 Mon 22-Sep-08 13:45:52

Thanks aquababe for the quick reply. How long did your bleeding last?
Do u mean u had pain for almost 2 yrs? Did it hurt when u pressed the area above the incision?

aquababe Mon 22-Sep-08 14:43:54

they cut through several layers so the one on the outside might not be exactly the one on the inside ifswim but yes it hurt just above as well.

my bleeding lasted 7/8weeks with it tailing off so maybe you just had mnore to come out

Pain wasn't constant for 2 yrs just when i over did it (tried to go back to doing a martial art at 18months, bit silly really)

AuntieMaggie Mon 22-Sep-08 14:47:27

I guess with all stomach surgery it depends how much you did after and whether it was planned or emergency.

I think the main thing is not to overdo it, which is hard as you use your stomach muscles quite a lot.

If you're at all worried I would see your GP sooner rather than later.

EyesWideShut Mon 22-Sep-08 14:51:42

I had mine about 10 weeks ago, my abdomen above the incision is very very tender still,

my bleeding was in fits and starts but stopped about week 7, I am getting quite heavy discharge though.

sorry cant be more help
I am bf too, but nothing else apart from vagina too sore to have sex, getting it checked out tomorrow.
bestt of luck

hedgepig Mon 22-Sep-08 19:46:07

hi php2731 sorry you are not feeling right can't remember about bleeding (sorry it was 5yrs ago) but discomfort was for months afterward, I was expecting to be totally "normal" after 6 weeks but it was months before I could lift etc without discomfort. The discomfort was aches more like a pulled muscle rather than shooting pains.

Chaotica Tue 23-Sep-08 22:20:32

Please see a GP - I had symptoms very much like yours and it was an infection. It took two types of antibiotics to put right.

php2731 Wed 01-Oct-08 14:05:55

It is 3 months since I had the c-section and I still have pain in my lower abdomen, specially feel uncomfortable, pain when changing position from one side to another when lying down in bed, sneeze or cough. Also feel pain and uncomfortable when getting up from bed or from sitting position.
Feels kind of heavy inside the stomach, like there is lump or sweliing inside. I assume that due to birth may be things have become loose inside the abdomen which makes me feel heavy inside.

Anyone had similar lower abdominal pain, pain when pressing the lower abdomen or swelling feeling inside. How long did it take to heal finally to feel normally. I am so depressed now.

Thanks a lot.

php2731 Thu 02-Oct-08 13:23:47

It is 3 months since I had the c-section and I still have pain in my lower abdomen, feel uncomfortable, pain when changing position from one side to another when lying down in bed, sneeze or cough. Also feel pain and uncomfortable when getting up from bed or from sitting position.
Feels kind of heavy inside the stomach, like there is lump or sweliing inside. I assume that due to birth may be things have become loose inside the abdomen which makes me feel heavy inside.

Anyone had similar lower abdominal pain, pain when pressing the lower abdomen or swelling feeling inside. How long did it take to heal finally to feel normally. I am so depressed now, never imagined it takes so long to recover.

PathofLeastResistance Thu 02-Oct-08 13:30:42

I think you should go back to your GP. If the bleeding restarts and is red not brown that raises the possibility of having a bit of retained placenta. The retained placenta can get infected and that would explain the bad smell. As for the pain, if it is really pain and not discomfort then that could also be explained by "retained products" as they are called medically. The scan should have excluded them which is why they didn't take it any further. But scans are not perfect. It could be wrong.

Incidentally, I bled until 8 weeks after latest c-section and it did go red after about 5 weeks. My scan was clear and it settled down. However, I have not had any pain or any bad smelling discharge.

Has the pain been constant or did it get better post op then worse?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now