Talk

Advanced search

Home births & stitches (I know, I know...)

(16 Posts)
33k Sun 21-Sep-08 22:24:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

katch Sun 21-Sep-08 23:15:06

I had 2 home births, both needing stitches. As far as I remember, they just left me where I was - either on bed or floor in post-birth hysteria - and got on with it. It was just as hideous at home as in hospital. Good luck.

S1ur Sun 21-Sep-08 23:18:45

I had stiches both home births too.

(so annoying really thought I had avoided tearing with ds, did every right and the lovely little bugger got me with his shoulders grr.)

Anyway, both on floor, leaning back - bit of gas and air hee hee, legs splayed, expert midwife doing a lovely bit of cross stitch.

PortAndLemon Sun 21-Sep-08 23:24:11

A friend had a power cut just after her HB so had to be stitched up by torchlight... I haven't inspected the handiwork, but she seems quite happy.

PinkyDinkyDooToo Mon 22-Sep-08 09:51:18

I had stitches for DS2's birth at home. I just lay across my bed and they got on with it

largeginandtonic Mon 22-Sep-08 09:56:27

Had a 3rd degree tear with dd in hospital. When i had ds#3 at home the midwife looked at me the next morning and i had to go in to hospital to be stitched. Was horrid, at least at the time you are endorphin pumped and half expecting it.

When i had ds#4 at home the next time i made sure the midwife had a good look, she did the stitches on the spot. Slouched in a heap on the floor, torch angled at the mess hmm grin It was no problem.

ajm200 Mon 22-Sep-08 10:54:29

If you have a serious tear they may transfer you to hospital otherwise they'll just stitch you up at home. They do like good light to work by so have an angle poise lamp available if poss.

33k Mon 22-Sep-08 14:42:18

ShowOfHands Mon 22-Sep-08 14:45:55

Yes, lots of light. My community midwife used to delight in telling me about a birth she attended where the midwife stitched the woman to the sheet. In her defence, it was a yurt, they wanted no artificial light and ablutions were... er, a bucket!

Wade Mon 22-Sep-08 19:03:10

The midwife who delivered my dd had a headlamp (like miners wear!) for this job!

SaintRiven Mon 22-Sep-08 19:04:31

went into hospital to be stitched as lost so much blood. Was bloody awful.

ladytophamhatt Mon 22-Sep-08 19:11:26

I had stitches done with ds2s Homebirth.

It was an umplanned HB and they were done on my bedroom floor.

I remember the MW asking if I wanted them done at hospital and I said as long as shes got some anestheic(sp) it was fine to do it at home.
She got her syringe ready and I vividly remeber thinking "Jessssus christ, where teh fuck are you going with that????" as it headed towards my quim.

for some reason i thjought the injection would be in my leg...

gringrin
Anyway, it was fine and I had no trouble at all with the stitches.

findtheriver Mon 22-Sep-08 19:58:11

pissing myself here at ladytopham and her injection, imagining it might go in the leg grin

ladytophamhatt Mon 22-Sep-08 20:53:12

grin

its one of those weirdy super vivid memories. I was laying on the floor, legs akimbo. Hideous mess all over our blue carpet....I was bracing myself for the sharp jab in the innner thigh by the red headed MW and her needle.

"Jeeeeesus christ...etc etc..." you know teh rest.

Had I not just given birth rather speedily on my bedroom floor I would have recoiled in horror but I seemed to be welded to the floorgringrin

waitingtobloom Tue 23-Sep-08 20:40:08

I had a home birth two weeks ago - I only needed a couple of stitches for a minor first degree tear. I was already sitting on the sofa so just very ungainly drew my knees up and wiggled my bum to the edge lol. At that point you really dont care though do you!

Being positive though with any luck you may not need stitches again. I had a huge episiotomy the first time around in hospital but only 2 tiny stitches this time despite DD being nearly 1.5 pounds heavier and not flexing her chin so coming out at a very large headed angle! I put it down to combination of fab midwife and being able to really manouever myself into different positions to give birth.

Also I know its different to stitch a first degree tear to an epi but I barely felt a thing - she gave me the gas and air to use and I was to euphoric to bother on the first stitch and just didnt use it and barely flinched - I didnt have any local either - perhaps even stitches are less painful at home!

xxx

33k Wed 24-Sep-08 22:12:55

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now