Talk

Advanced search

Does an episiotomy 1st time round mean same again or tear next time?

(16 Posts)
bonym Sat 26-Feb-05 11:49:52

Saw my midwife yesterday who said that the fact I had been given an episiotomy when I gave birth to dd means that there is a likelihood that this time around I could tear along the scar.

I would be interested to hear if anyone who had an episiotomy 1st time around has given birth subsequently without tearing and whether anyone thinks perineal massage would be helpful (I have heard that it's of most use in 1st pregnancies)

misdee Sat 26-Feb-05 11:51:28

i tore badly with dd1, and spent near on an hour being stitched afterwards. with dd2 i tore again, but not as badly, no stitches required. and this time just a tiny tiny tear.

Yorkiegirl Sat 26-Feb-05 11:53:12

Message withdrawn

RosiePosie Sat 26-Feb-05 12:13:47

I had an episiotomy first time - flat on my back with epidural. Second time I birthed at home in an semi upright kneeling position and didn't tear. Had a small graze though. Have to say though, that the episiotomy healed very quickly with no pain, whereas the graze was very painful for a week or so whilst it healed. However, the episiotomy scar made sex very painful until about 6 months after the birth, whereas once the graze had healed after a couple of weeks, everything was fine.

oatcake Sat 26-Feb-05 12:16:39

perineal massage would be very beneficial when practised from 36 weeks apparently. dunno how you do it properly but it involves olive oil I think the "likelihood" referred to is a minority reference as I've only seen one woman have problems with her previous epis.

Waterbirth will also soften the tissues around the perineum during the labour so that could be an option for you.

suedonim Sat 26-Feb-05 13:55:49

I didn't need an episiotomy or tear with my fourth baby, despite the fact my 'business end' must have resembled a patchwork quilt from three previous episiotomies. Good luck!

serenequeen Sat 26-Feb-05 13:58:53

had an episio with ds (to facilitate ventouse delivery). had tiny tear with 10.5 lb dd - unrelated to the episio. when i discussed the matter with mws prior to dd's birth they said tears much less likely if not giving birth on your back, as gravity is not forcing the baby's head down onto the perineum. hth.

Cristina7 Sat 26-Feb-05 14:00:23

I had an episiotomy and 3rd degree tear with my first but no episiotomy with my second (he was stillborn at 35 weeks) and didn't tear either.

Cam Sat 26-Feb-05 14:28:03

I had an episiotomy with dd1 (standard practice in those days as was giving birth laying on your back). Second time around, 8 years ago, gave birth standing up and did not tear (and therefore no stitches).

lou33 Sat 26-Feb-05 14:50:53

first time i had an episiotomy and still had a 3rd degree tear, took ages to stitch. Second time i tore fairly deep but not long so they gave me a running stitch, third time a tiny tear that didnt need any stitches, fourth time, nothing

Clayhead Sat 26-Feb-05 14:53:22

1st time I had an episiotomy

2nd time I did have a small tear but not along the scar of the episiotomy.

Bozza Sat 26-Feb-05 20:23:12

Ist time had an episiotomy. 2nd time small tear that was not worth stitching. Gave birth standing up second time.

bonym Sat 26-Feb-05 20:41:04

Thanks everyone - this is very reassuring. I guess my midwife was just a bit of a doom - monger!

stupidgirl Sat 26-Feb-05 20:49:38

Same story with me. First birth I had an episiotomy and then a 3rd degree tear. Second time I asked for an episiotomy (because of how it had speeded things up the first time)and they gave me a tiny one which didn't need stitches.

essbee Sat 26-Feb-05 20:51:29

Message withdrawn

Lonelymum Sat 26-Feb-05 20:55:45

I had an episiotomy with ds1 and tore slightly with ds2 but did not need stitches. When I had dd, I didn't tear at all and ds3, I tore a little but resisted stiches because I was so sore I couldn't bear anyone to touch me there! So no, I wouldn't say an episiotomy means you will tear in the same place the 2nd time. I dodn't know about perineal massage I'm afraid.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now