Talk

Advanced search

Umbilical Cord Blood Retrieval- anyway know anything about this or had it done?

(4 Posts)
JezzaJ9 Thu 18-Sep-08 11:44:58

Hi all, I am due in 11 weeks and was just wondering what people thought about the above, and has anyone had it done for future personal use? Do you think its worth it, from what I have looked into it costs about £1000 so its alot of money, but could help if anything happened to the baby in the future - just wouldn't mind some other peoples thoughts on it.

feb Thu 18-Sep-08 12:39:39

Hi Jezza, i would do this if i could afford it, but like you say it is a lot of money. am also hoping for a homebirth and presumably you have to be in a consultant unit?

janinlondon Thu 18-Sep-08 12:44:00

I helped my sister do it, but she was in Oz. There is an ongoing storage cost that you have to factor in. I do think its worth it, but appreciate that the cost is possibly prohibitive. I think there is now a UK community bank, so even if you don't decide to store your own you could possibly contribute to the bank?

Tangle Thu 18-Sep-08 17:19:58

We decided against cord blood collection. To my mind it was a choice between a possible benefit to my child at some point in the future vs a very definite benefit to my newborn baby. Some of the reasons why delayed cord clamping are a good thing are discussed here.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now