Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Natural - v - Caesarean - a new thread

(458 Posts)
JoolsToo Fri 25-Feb-05 10:29:37

sorry to be bossy but can we carry on here?

I'm for natural when possible

nnosam Fri 25-Feb-05 10:31:40

me too.
natural everytime..

NotQuiteCockney Fri 25-Feb-05 10:32:58

I had two sections. Would have loved a more natural birth, either time. Am still somewhat pissed off about this.

aloha Fri 25-Feb-05 10:35:35

I had two lovely sections - and one appalling and traumatic experience of labour, which is not an experience I would care to repeat. Totally respect anyone else's decision to go down a different path, however, which is what I think everyone should do. My choice is my choice, your choice is your choice. And truly I fail to see why it is a moral issue. Why are we so obsessed with the 'right' way to give birth?

WideWebWitch Fri 25-Feb-05 10:35:38

I think caesarians absolutely have their place. They save lives and are essential sometimes. Without them plenty of women and babies would die. But I dislike some of the myths surrounding vaginal childbirth and I also dislike the theory that a c section is necessarily safer, I'm pretty sure it isn't (can someone confirm?). It is major abdominal surgery and should be recognised as such.

SoupDragon Fri 25-Feb-05 10:37:37

Whichever you want.

WideWebWitch Fri 25-Feb-05 10:37:45

I don't see why it's a moral issue but I do take issue with anyone who says that women routinely break their pelvises in childbirth and that for this reason a c section is 'better'.

aloha Fri 25-Feb-05 10:40:38

But it may well be better for the person having it, who, is, let's face it, the only person who really counts.

PuffTheMagicDragon Fri 25-Feb-05 10:40:45

Agree, natural when possible.

I've had 2 c sections - for me it wasn't possible and I'm glad to have my boys here with me safe and well.

Gwenick Fri 25-Feb-05 10:41:21

Well I had an 'emergency section' 1st time round (wasn't really as I wasn't in labour and was only called 'emergency' because it wasn't planned until that day - long story).

2nd time round had a horrific and traumatic VBAC.

Which one would I choose again if I absolutely HAD to - the VBAC without a shadow of a doubt.

triceratops Fri 25-Feb-05 10:41:37

C Sections are for when something is wrong and can save lives in some circumstances. The natural way is easier and safer in the majority of cases.

aloha Fri 25-Feb-05 10:42:31

But why are we debating what is best for other people? Yes, of course you are likely to have an opinion on what you personally preferred/would prefer, in an ideal world, but to decide that someone else's choice is less valid or less 'worthy' seems like madness to me. I can't imagine men having a similar debate about other people's choices.

laneydaye Fri 25-Feb-05 10:42:41

hi there,
had my ds 4 yrs ago was a very long labour and ended up having an epidural. Was mortified when they said i could end up having a c section.... but he came out in the end without one.
My dd just 4 mths ago was a lot faster and we did it natrual.
I found the whole thing quite uplifting in a painful kind of way.
When i was pregnant with her i said never again..
but now we are planning number 3....
Would definately opt for natrual.........

northstar Fri 25-Feb-05 10:45:01

Im due in may and had horrific vb first time round now trying to decide whether to ask for a c. Consultant says please try vb again - i'm really torn (as in vb!! ) as to what decision to make so will be watching this thread for reasons as well as personal preferences.

lockets Fri 25-Feb-05 10:45:56

Message withdrawn

Toothache Fri 25-Feb-05 10:46:31

Given the choice... natural. But with the choice taken away.... anything that is safe for my baby.

I recovered incredibly quickly (physically) from the vaginal birth of my 2nd baby, despite tearing. I felt back to normal within 2 weeks. My friend had a section a few weeks later (elective) and she bitterly regretted it as she was plagued with internal infections and wound infections for 8wks afterwards. There was no physical reason for her not to have a SVD. That's why she regretted it. Had it been medically necessary she, of course, would have had no regrets.

prunegirl Fri 25-Feb-05 10:50:33

Message withdrawn

JoolsToo Fri 25-Feb-05 10:51:35

aloha - isn't that a whole other argument tho?

I might be wrong but isn't opting for a 'c' section relatively new?

Definitely agree that caesareans are very necessary but can't think why anyone would choose one for other than medical reasons - and I'm not being judgmental I mean I genuinely don't know. Like someone said - its major abdominal surgery with all the risks that involves.

Toothache Fri 25-Feb-05 10:53:48

Prunegirl - I suppose one of the issues could be that why should those physically capable of giving birth naturally... and have not had a previous c-section be given a c-section paid for by the NHS?

Also, perhaps someone can clear this up for me. What is the advice given on the number of C-sections you have? Do they advise against more than 3? Does the risk of rupture increase with each operation? Just wondering as I'd heard my friend (had 2 c-section) saying she was worried about having anymore.

WideWebWitch Fri 25-Feb-05 10:55:57

I'd be interested in knowing that too Joolstoo. I think it is important actually - the c section rate is rising fast in this country and if it's not the safest thing for women (and I really don't think it is but don't have any stats so I guess I can't prove it) then I'd be interested in why this rate is rising. Because of fear of litigation? Because women are even more scared of childbirth than they used to be? And if they are, why are they? Because doctors prefer it? Because women prefer it? I'm genuinely interested. The US have something like a 25% rate, mainly due to the fact that childbirth is highly controlled and medicalised I think. The UK rate is lower but rising I think.

welshmum Fri 25-Feb-05 10:58:09

I'm fascinated by why this is such a provocative subject on mumsnet. Maybe I don't understand why people are so passionate on both sides because of what happened to me. C-section on consultant's advice, then days later dd rushed to neo natal and I had no time to think about 'how' she'd arrived - if you'd told me she'd been pulled out of the top of my head I'd have believed you. My scar was checked standing up in a store room! It just didn't matter all. Now I'm contemplating no. 2's arrival and I find I really don't care either way as long as we're both safe. And ideally we're not back in hospital a few days later. Nothing else matters.

Cristina7 Fri 25-Feb-05 10:58:24

" can't think why anyone would choose one for other than medical reasons "

Maybe for psychological reasons (unless, of course, you count these as part of the medical specrtum of reasons).

prunegirl Fri 25-Feb-05 10:59:44

Message withdrawn

Gwenick Fri 25-Feb-05 10:59:53

Does the risk of rupture increase with each operation? Just wondering as I'd heard my friend (had 2 c-section) saying she was worried about having anymore.

When I was browsing google just now looking for information I found a page with those figures on - I think it 'does' increase but can't remember the figures.

I know someone who had 4 CS's - but had her tubes tied during the last one (her choice) as she was advised any more children would be dangerous.

northstar Fri 25-Feb-05 10:59:56

ds got stuck twice, shoulders and head, was in severe difficulties and he went into shock. Had extremely violent emergency ventouse delivery followed by ds in scbu for 8 days (not feeding or moving for first 2) and over an hour of stitching me back together layer by layer. Lost alot of sensation "down there" permanently and was weeks before i could sit down. It would be a cs for both our sakes if i could choose this time if i am honest.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now