Talk

Advanced search

Evening Primrose Oil to soften cervix

(10 Posts)
Aubergenie Sun 14-Sep-08 21:12:55

Possible induction in a couple of weeks so want to be prepared. Am I supposed to eat the tablets or put them up my fanjo, and in what dosage? Keep finding conflicting advice.

MKG Sun 14-Sep-08 21:51:21

I've only taken them orally. I think it's between 1000-1500 mg twice a day.

Aubergenie Sun 14-Sep-08 22:31:17

Thanks. Do you think they helped?

minkersmum Sun 14-Sep-08 22:48:21

You can take them orally and put them on cervix directly... if you can reach or have a willing partner who fancies doing some gentle cervical massage.

I'd take 1000mg morn and night and do the massage once a day, best last thing at night so oil stays put. You can actually just put a capsule in your fango and it will eventually disolve but in my experience its better to put just oil up there (less to come back out!)

HTH Good luck.

DeJaVous Sun 14-Sep-08 22:51:08

Evening primrose (and sperm) are both most effective at ripening the cervix when taken orally...

minkersmum Sun 14-Sep-08 23:16:54

Are you sure about that, i've def read that if applied directly to cervix it is more effective. I reckon the sperm taken orally was definitely a mans suggestiongrin.

Surely if oral absorbtion generally better, prostin gel would come in an oral formation. No?? I mean i could be wrong.. but its rare wink

DeJaVous Mon 15-Sep-08 08:32:01

Prostoglandins (found in sperm and EPO) are given orally for induction in some countries. I can't find the article I was looking for, but here's a random study in which the Prostoglandin containg drug was given orally. Another random study here.

ajm200 Mon 15-Sep-08 08:40:50

You're supposed to do both but I always worry about introducing and infection so tend to stick to taking them orally.

I think in America they do give tablets to start labour but I might be wrong.

You could also try some raspberry leaf tea or tablets. Raspberry leaf is a uterine tonic that makes contractions more efficient so will help in the second stage of labour and might strenghten your braxton hicks to help get your cervix ready.

Check out homebirth.org for info on using EPO and other natural induction methods.

Good luck

minkersmum Mon 15-Sep-08 08:43:03

In the uk it is given vaginally. Are these studies actually comparing oral administration and vaginal? i mean if it works better orally then i'm all for doing my own private controlled study tonightgrin but i'd have to see some pretty good evidence to swallow that one!

ajm200 Mon 15-Sep-08 08:58:46

Also, try bouncing on a gym/birthing ball in front on the telly tonight.

I sat on the ball the other night as my hips/back were aching. DS 21 months came over and sat on his football and we had a mad half hour bouncing away and laughing like crazy. Later that evening. I had two huge shows and some niggly cramps.

Mentioned it to the MW, who gave me a really telling off as I've had preterm labour, have a softened dilated cervix and am supposed to rest. Seems that all the bouncing has made it progress even further.. not good news for me at 34 weeks but would be great for you.

Know what I'll be doing in a few weeks to shift this child though wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now