Talk

Advanced search

Arse antlers and epidurals - has anyone else heard this one?

(16 Posts)
solidgoldbrass Fri 12-Sep-08 21:35:09

My friend is about to have her first baby by c-section (she has fibroids). She has a tattoo at the base of her spine and apparently the aneasthetist is worried about a risk posed by giving her an epidural. Given the popularity of tattoos at the base of the spine (arse antlers is the term for those spiky celtic-y ones), has anyone else heard of this being a major risk?

3Ddonut Sat 13-Sep-08 13:54:38

No and can't see why it would be?

belgo Sat 13-Sep-08 13:56:02

That has to be most of the most intriguing thread titles I've seen on mumsnetgrin

deanychip Sat 13-Sep-08 14:06:53

Hmm, the only thing that i can think of is that the ink under the skin could possibly be a source of infection.

Some of that ink is bound to infiltrate the epidural space when the needle goes in possibly.

maidamess Sat 13-Sep-08 14:07:46

I think I'm going to change my MN name to Arse antlers

lulumama Sat 13-Sep-08 14:08:47

grin imagine it might be to do with infection? dunno.. she is best to ask the anesthatist herself...

3Ddonut Sat 13-Sep-08 14:18:48

We do open heart surgery on people we chest tattoos, the surgeons are very careful to realign said tattoos when 'closing up'!!! I really can't think that it would be a source of infection... the only only thing I can think of is the anaethetist wouldn't be able to see the placement of the needle properly, but he/she should be able to place the needle through 'feel' anyway.... <perplexed.....>

3Ddonut Sat 13-Sep-08 14:20:10

'People with chest tattoos....' obviously

RandomIdiot Sat 13-Sep-08 14:25:20

they don't put the epidural at the base of the spine though - so can't be infection.

lulumama Sat 13-Sep-08 14:28:52

have had a google and seems there is not really a risk. but obviously she needs to discuss with the anesthatist ....

deanychip Sat 13-Sep-08 14:33:54

The other thing is that we check the epidural entry site regularly and its not as visible is it when there is a pretty pattern over it, you know what i mean, you cant see if its red and inflamed.
But then during a birth, it is in for such a short time that this wouldnt necissarily be an issue. My experience is of epidurals in situ for a few days post op.

Just thinking out loud thats all.

I think that maybe the aneathatist is just bieng arsy!

solidgoldbrass Sat 13-Sep-08 22:19:12

From what she told me, the anaesthetist was apparently worried that the needle could force some ink particles into her bloodstream and endanger her health. I think it can't be that risky as that is such a popular location for tattoos: there would have been a death or two by now and a load of Daily Mail headlines along the lines of 'Selfish Binge-Drinking Tattooed Bitches put their Babies at Risk'.

MrsSnorty Sat 13-Sep-08 22:29:37

Tis a 'spinal block' for C-sections though isn't it? (rather than an epidural). This is the only medical detail I remember from my drug-addled experience. Don't know if makes any difference though and haven't got any arse antlers.

RandomIdiot Sun 14-Sep-08 08:17:29

Spinal and epidural to all intents and purposes are identical in form of administration. The ddrug goes in the same space, the cathetar is just not left in situ for a spinal.

I think they are even the same drug (range of drugs) - just a different dose.

NotQuiteCockney Sun 14-Sep-08 08:23:19

I like 'arse antlers' as a term, but I'm tempted by 'tramp stamp'.

mrsmontano Mon 15-Sep-08 19:25:37

never heard of this before... and i have a tattoo at the base of my spine and had a c-section last time, with spinal block.
I would have thought we would have heard about it if it was risky, bcos like you say, the lower back tattoos are popular these days.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now