Talk

Advanced search

Perineum- how long/ large should it be?

(6 Posts)
Catclaws Fri 12-Sep-08 21:33:25

Random and quite embarassing question- but how large or long is a regular perineum?

During an examination a doctor once commented that my fanjo was very close to my bumhole, I have about half a cm if that, of perineum. Is that tiny or normal?

So im am now wondering what happens if I tear or need an episiostomy during labour.. there is no where for the tear to go except my arse!

Anyone else like me?

greenlawn Fri 12-Sep-08 21:53:55

Ok can't believe I'm answering this - I just measured and mine is about 5-6 cms! (no easy task at 37 weeks!) - no idea if that's normal either!!!!!

Last time I tore out to the sides - perineum was fine. I think with an episiotomy can't they do one that goes at a 45 degree angle rather than straight down?

bythepowerofgreyskull Fri 12-Sep-08 21:55:56

Hmm
about 1.5cm

minkersmum Sat 13-Sep-08 10:27:42

Everyone has a different length of perineum. Some people do have quite a short one. I suppose its a bit like the penis, they all come in different shapes and sizes. All perfectly normal and obviously the only time u think about it is with regards to tearing or an episiotomy. Episiotomy is always done to the side (about 7 o'clock) never straightdown as it would be too easy for it to extend into your arse straight down.

I have seen countless fango's and its very common to have a short perineum and have also seen many a short perineum stratch nicely during childbirth to leave an intact perineum. Do some perineal massage with either evening primrose oil or almond oil.
Try not to worry.

HTH

suhfyera Fri 19-Sep-08 17:45:03

Hi,

I have been wondering about this perineum massage, and i don't mean to be rude, but is it not like having sex...? I mean I've read about it in "what to expect when expecting" but it's described as if it would be similar to intercourse, stick the thumbs in and rub around a bit? It sounds a bit weird to me, but I'm also freaking out about tearing and an epsiotomy, i mean how do i go to the toilet after??? O_o I have to get round to doing this massage, but...can anyone describe it better than the book? Thanks!

Pheebe Fri 19-Sep-08 19:43:36

Apparently you can get these balloon things that you put just inside and inflate gradually, every few days or week or so you inflate it a bit more to stretch things out hmm There's no actual evidence that any amount of prebirth stretching or massage actually works. You'll find all different experiences on here, some people swear by it, for others it had no effect at all.

Personally I think the key is to be as relaxed as poss when bub is crowning, stop pushing and let the head dome out slow and easy. None of this PUUUUSSSSHHH bollox. First time round I had a venouse and an episiotomy and still tore horribly. Second time I ignored the mw who was screaming at me to push and let bub slip out in his own time. Still had tearing but hardly even noticed it happening or after.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now