Talk

Advanced search

Private Room following NHS Birth

(9 Posts)
MERMAIDKB Fri 12-Sep-08 16:44:46

Is it possible to have a private room after giving birth. If so, are they provided on a first come first serve basis or can one be guaranteed if pay in advance and what sort of cost are we talking about?

goingfor3 Fri 12-Sep-08 16:47:26

If you mean a side room they can't be guarenteed. It is first come first served and if you do get one you could still be moved out of it if someone else needs it more.

geogteach Fri 12-Sep-08 16:48:23

Yes I had one when DS1 was born (DH worked at the hospital but we could have booked one). I didn't bother for DD or DS2 as I found it very isolating, on my own with a new baby, despite being noisy on the ward staff were more visable and there were other mums around.

Peabody Fri 12-Sep-08 16:50:00

You can't book; on the day you can ask if there's one available. I think they're usually around £75.

But different hospitals have different facilities for this so it's best to check with wherever you plan to give birth

MrsMattie Fri 12-Sep-08 16:51:02

I think different hospitals have different policies.

MERMAIDKB Fri 12-Sep-08 16:58:17

Thank you everyone :-)

MummyToOneForNow Fri 12-Sep-08 17:48:35

My hospital has "amenity rooms" which are available on a first come first served basis at a cost of £225 shock per night. They have TV and an ensuite toilet/shower room. My parents treated me when I had dd as I was only staying in for one night and I have to say it was very nice to (a) get some sleep and (b) have a bathroom free right there when you need it (one bathroom for 8 leaking/bleeding women on eachvery full wards apparently not pleasant).

terramum Fri 12-Sep-08 18:26:09

I had one after giving birth to DS...but I did transfer in from a home birth and they seemed very keen to accomodate us because of that...they actually offered us the family room first (well they offered DH it & he turned it down angry). They were fairly empty that night but were completely full a few days later so I think it is just luck of the draw. No harm in asking if you want one.

dannyb Mon 15-Sep-08 22:06:13

At watford general you can pre book and pay for a private room but if there are fully private patients booked in then you have to give up your room. I was informed that this rarely happens and had never heard of anyone not getting their pre booked room, until it came to me that is and there was nothing available but they refunded me immediately.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now