Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

what would you do?

(84 Posts)
LeonieD Fri 12-Sep-08 08:33:42

Message withdrawn

chapstickchick Fri 12-Sep-08 08:40:23

ive had 3 c sections the first was emergency fter a long failed labour sad,the second was elective due to a breech baby and terminally ill mil who was desperate to meets her dgs before she died sadsad nd the 3rd elective ..fantastic!! i took the advice of my consultant and opted for c section i knew when and where the baby would arrive i could plan and organise.

a home birth would be lovely -for me its pipe dream i could never do it,i think sometimes you have to listen to the professionls weigh up the pros and cons and make the choice thats best for yourself and your family ....if it were me and i know its not i do think id be thinking more about a c section.

StarlightMcKenzie Fri 12-Sep-08 08:48:18

Message withdrawn

Mimsy2000 Fri 12-Sep-08 08:50:07

i haven't had a c-section but am having a pretty difficult second pregnancy and have to say i think i agree with chapstickchick. good luck either way. not an easy decision sad

LeonieD Fri 12-Sep-08 09:01:43

Message withdrawn

StarlightMcKenzie Fri 12-Sep-08 09:17:35

Message withdrawn

LeonieD Fri 12-Sep-08 09:25:14

Message withdrawn

idontbelieveit Fri 12-Sep-08 09:37:09

You poor thing Leonie. I had a failed induction leading to emcs with dd1 and am now 20 weeks with dc2. I'm really hoping for a vbac but am very worried as i had low water and high bp last time and a big (although not huge) baby. The extra stress you're under can't be helping your situation at all. If you can I would try and relax and think of other things this week and see how you feel when you reach 40 weeks cos you might go into labour before then, you never know. I too would rather have a section than another induction.

You also need to remember that however the baby comes out you could well end up staying longer than you want in hospital, you just can't control the situation. You might be out quicker after a failed vbac than you would after a section anyway....I think you just have to try and accept that that side of it is beyond your control and you're doing the very best you can by your daughter and she's with people who love her while you're in hospital.

Good luck.

ilovemydog Fri 12-Sep-08 09:40:33

I'd much rather have an induction than a c-section. At least with an induction, there aren't any restrictions on movement after the birth...

StarlightMcKenzie Fri 12-Sep-08 09:42:26

Message withdrawn

LeonieD Fri 12-Sep-08 10:11:16

Message withdrawn

LeonieD Fri 12-Sep-08 11:27:00

Message withdrawn

qumps Fri 12-Sep-08 11:38:45

fingers crossed for you big time. going through similar csection/vb dilemma myself second time round and know how you feel.
keep us posted.

Sycamoretree Fri 12-Sep-08 11:46:58

LeonieD - Similar issues with my second LO. first was elective - was desperate for a natural birth second time around.

It wasn't to be. I also have abnormal volume of fluid. My first baby was 9lbs 9oz. They measured DS on a scan at 38 weeks and reckoned he was already at that weight.

I had carpal tunnel, high BP with both pregancies, was covered in a dry itchy rash.

In the end, my consultant pretty much scared me into an elective c-section with DS. I sobbed and sobbed. But you know what? When it was all over, I thought it was the best decision I had ever made. I was so calm, and once I had DS in my arms, I knew it didn't matter how he'd come into the world, it just mattered that I had him, and that we were both SAFE and that neither of us when through the hell and trauma that poor DD and me did when she was born.

And I honestly was the person who was going to have a natural birth or else through the person getting in the way of that off the cliff (particularly as I know I am not going to have another baby now, so it was my "last chance").

Don't know if that's helpful, but good luck making your decision smile

Sycamoretree Fri 12-Sep-08 11:48:05

Oh, and DS was 10lbs 2oz, so they were right about him being a chubster!

Sycamoretree Fri 12-Sep-08 11:50:35

Sorry - first baby DD, was EMERGENCY c-section, not elective.

lollipopmother Fri 12-Sep-08 12:47:35

Leonie - How about you keep both options open? An elective can always be cancelled, why don't you look at your calendar, and try and book for a section at the last possible moment - take into account the 3 day recovery time in the hospital and coincide everything to fit in perfectly with your DPs new job. That way, you are giving yourself the maximum time for your body to do it naturally, but making plans for if it doesn't that will also be workable. You say that you don't want to have a VB that ends with a long recovery time - well having a section still has a recovery time too, so I think you should disregard that worry completely, as it could happen either way, although having a VB does NOT have to end in disaster!

MrsTittleMouse Fri 12-Sep-08 12:48:44

Please believe me that even in a very gentle supportive environment that contractions still feel bloody awful! I can understand that you feel that you missed out last time, but natural childbirth is messy and painful - and then I still ended up with a large episiotomy and couldn't hold DD when she was born as they had to stitch me up, or when I was in the recovery room because I went into shock and couldn't stop shaking (I had been vomiting for over 10 hours, and had lost a lot of blood).

Even without your problems, I would take an elective section over a medicalised induction. Your decision though, obviously.

lulumama Fri 12-Sep-08 12:52:19

the closer to 41 + weeks you can get, the more inclined i would be to go for induction. your cervix can change a lot in a short space of time.. also one prostin gel on a cervix that is getting ready for labour can really make some big changes...

wait and see what tuesday brings,and take it day by day

i am so sorry, i know you have been having lots of issues in this pregnancy and you wanted to have the birth on your terms this time

any chance of someone else being iwth you for the birth and afterwards so DHs new job not compromised?

soft cervix is good! also baby might not engage until labour starts , a few strong contractions might brign her donw

ajm200 Fri 12-Sep-08 12:57:16

I was in a similar situation with my 1st pregnancy at 37 weeks. Had been in labour the day before going to hospital, but it stopped. Probably as I was so stressed out. My BP was all over the place, protein in my urine and markers in my blood that indicated the start of PE. My cervix was completely closed and not soft. I had a 5 day induction that would have gone to a c-section if I'd agreed as the gel they used wasn't doing much. In the end they broke the waters and used a drip to get labour going and I had a natural birth.

ajm200 Fri 12-Sep-08 12:59:57

Should also say that my BP kept soaring while in labour so they had to give me medication to bring it back down that seemed to also slow/stop the contractions. The MWs told me it was a coincidence but it happened 6x so I have my doubts.

TuttiFrutti Fri 12-Sep-08 13:09:25

Leonie, if I was in your siutation I would choose the elective cs. In fact, I have been in almost exactly your situation, I did choose the cs, and have never regretted it.

I know it's really disappointing not to get the birth you want, especially if your first birth was difficult. However, you have to weigh up all the pros and cons of your particular situation.

What is the likely outcome of an induction? What's the best result, what's the worst, and where would an elective cs fit in the middle of that?

PInkyminkyohnooo Fri 12-Sep-08 13:26:48

Leonie you have a really hard decision to make, and I sympathise.
I'm going for a vba2c this time, but I feel really well in this PG and my consultant is very supportive.

I had an elcs with DD and I don't regret it one bit. I was very ill and feeling vey low in myself. Knowing her birthday and being able to make arrangements for DS was the best thing in that situation.

It's actually very hard when you do have a choice, I think.

Personally,I wouldn't want to be induced if you've already had a cs.

good luck.s

idontbelieveit Fri 12-Sep-08 13:27:07

ilovemydog, i'd rather have a successful induction than a c section but after my last experience I don't think i would want to risk an induction again....
This was at 42+2 so if it was ever going to work it should have by then surely?

Keep us updated Leonie.

mytetherisending Fri 12-Sep-08 13:30:05

mmm... part of me wants to say hold on as second babies can engage at the last minute and so not being in position is not major.
From a large baby perspective, this isn't always an issue. Both DDs were big but it was position as in back to back that caused them not to descend. I also didn't have an autistic dd to look after at home. I also didn't have BP issues. I ended up with 2 cs. Neither planned and both exactly the same scenario- dilated to 8-9cm and then stuck.
I think in your case it would be safer to have a planned c-section, at least that way you would be able to plan for your dds needs. If you do decide to VBAC I would at least plan for the worst case scenario.
Good luck which ever you choose smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now