Talk

Advanced search

Just-in-case bag for home birth

(10 Posts)
GirlWithTheMouseyHair Wed 10-Sep-08 15:39:40

so really ought to be packing my hospital bag now (34weeks) but planning on a homebirth so I guess it's more a just in case bag, can someone look over my list and tell me if there's anything there I don/don't need? Bearing in mind I won't need early stage stuff, but also that likelihood I'll go to hospital due to emergency so should be prepared to stay for a few days following a c-section:

FOR LABOUR
cooling spray
clary sage
flannels
flip flops
big towell
big bottle water
lip balm

POST LABOUR
nursing bra (x2?)
nursing PJ's/nightie (or best to chuck in stuff I don't mind being ruined?)
make up/hairbrush/toiletries
camera
nipple cream
breast pads
maternity pads (+tea tree & lavender oil)
cheap knickers (hate disposable ones)
baby vests (newborn and 0-3)
babygros (newborn and 0-3)
baby hat
newborn nappies
snowsuit
going home clothes for me and baby

Salleroo Wed 10-Sep-08 15:48:03

All looks good, How about some snacks for you. Hospital food is crap and if you are going to BF you'll want the energy. Oat cakes, cereal bars, juice cartons? Mobile phone. Music for labour? I had my ipod and speakers, David Gray - what a man.

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Wed 10-Sep-08 16:11:27

good point - we'll prob have snacks at home so will chuck them in the bag if we leave...I don't know what to do about music, we have walkmans instead of ipods and no speakers (DH works for sony, not allowed apples!!) and can't decide at all what music I want for the birth....hmmmm, another thread starter?!

Teuch Wed 10-Sep-08 16:16:46

get some flash wipes in there and some arnica and a small plastic jug...

(search labours threads and 'small plastic jug' grin}

And set your camera to black and white - that way DH won't be showing off/emailing graphic, technicolour photos before you get out and have a chance to vet them.

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Wed 10-Sep-08 16:26:42

good point about black and white - always makes you better!

Tangle Wed 10-Sep-08 23:06:53

I'd either get some spare toiletries and pack them now, or right a VERY explicit list - I transfered in after my HB (nothing major, just a tear that needed better light than we had at home for stitching) and DH finished packing while we waited for the ambulance. I wound up with no showergel or shampoo, and I really REALLY wanted some. You might want a spare towel as well for the post labour bag - just in case the labour one gets a bit too involved in proceedings wink

NorthernLurker Wed 10-Sep-08 23:09:26

Do you need a snowsuit? I think baby would be too hot in that in the car - maybe just take a nice blanket to tuck round them in the car seat? I had a January baby and I just took a cardigan and a blanket in with me.

Salleroo Thu 11-Sep-08 10:09:25

Re music, dont waste your time planning. You wont give a fig when you're in the throes of it. I thought 'this might be nice at this stage' etc. David Gray was on a loop in the end. I was in a midwife led centre so it was just the 3 of us. If you are HB, hopefully you wont need to go to hosp, but if you do, the last thing you will be worried about is getting your walkman and speakers set up with some relaxing music in the corner wink

Re makeup, again, I wouldnt take too much, I had the full whack with me, wear it every day. I dont think I put any on in the end - labour went wrong - long story - good outcome. However, I was all faketanned and tinted eyelashes and Benetinted, so didnt look as totally wiped out as I actually was in the photos!

ajm200 Thu 11-Sep-08 10:23:15

Depending on the hospital, you might need a dressing gown for nipping to the loo as some labour wards have loos off the main corridor rather than the birthing rooms. You don't really want to make that dash in the nude with other peoples DHs about. Did you do the hospital tour? If not ask the midwives for their opinion.

Old T-Shirt of hubbies to give birth in that you can throw out afterwards.

A soft blanket to use for baby if you have to stay in as the hospital blankets can be very hard and in some cases are just big tea towels.

Small pot of vaseline to put on babies bottom. It makes it much easier to clean off the horrible, sticky, marmite meconium poo that they all do in the first few days.

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Thu 11-Sep-08 20:35:22

thanks everyone, some good tips of extra bits to throw in...just don't want to be in a mad dash if we end up transferring - small bottles of toiletries especially a good idea!

am assuming I'll be in whatever I initially intend to give birth in and will have to whip on extra layers?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now