Talk

Advanced search

Anyone given birth at LGI recently?

(3 Posts)
boolean Wed 10-Sep-08 11:00:38

Just posted this on post-natal clubs board, didn't realise there was a childbirth one as well...

I'm due in less than 4 weeks and would be interested to hear what standard procedures they use or choices they tend to offer at Leeds General Infirmary.

I don't really have a birth plan, other than I would like to labour in water or the home-from-home room if a pool isn't available, and avoid an epidural if at all possible.

But I'd be interested to hear other people's experiences (really!) especially where things haven't gone as smoothly, so I am prepared for what they might encourage and can let my DH know what my preferences are in case I'm too busy screaming the place down to have a meaningful conversation...

nixpix Fri 12-Sep-08 10:49:30

Hi Boolean,
I gave birth there 2 weeks ago. It was an elective C section as baby breech. Just wanted to say I was really impressed with the level of care and attention there. I'd heard lots of scathing stories about the LGI and know many women going further afield to Harrogate for this reason. However, the midwives were all fantastic, they listened to all my requests and were keen to carry them out (e.g. I wanted skin to skin asap after the section before I went to recovery and they turned my gown round so this could happen.)
The ward was lovely and quiet and midwives were on hand to help me with BF issues. I tohught it was all nice and clean (I'd taken anti-bac wipes just in case) a man came roun d one day and was wiping the top of the curtain tracks to check for dust.
I wanted to use the home from home room and pool but this wasn't a possibility when I knew my DS hadn't turned.
Have you been on a tour or to the active birth session they run on an evening. I thought this was good to have a look and see whats what.
Good luck!
Nicola

boolean Fri 12-Sep-08 11:02:54

That's brilliant, thanks. Yes, went to parentcraft classes there and had the tour last week. Thought the home from home suite was nice, am quite keen to use that. Am going to the waterbirth info evening next week as well (I wasn't sure whether you could have a waterbirth in the home from home?)

Glad to hear you had a positive experience, and congrats on the new arrival!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now