Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Met a fantastic male midwife - did you have one?

(8 Posts)
mears Tue 22-Feb-05 00:51:09

I was on a course at the weekend and met this fantastic male midwife who works in St. George's in Tooting. He was so lovely I bet women enjoy being looked aftet by him. Anyone out there experienced a great male midwife?

MrsWobble Tue 22-Feb-05 07:51:20

I did for my second baby - and he was the best midwife I had out of the three. he was a university student doing a psychology degree who delivered babies during the uni holidays (he said it paid better than working in a bar!) He was a mature student who had previously been a nurse and then trained as a midwife. We got on really well and I was quite sorry when I was signed off post birth as I missed him popping round for a chat. He was doing his dissertation on the connection between personality type and pain thresholds using his pregnant patients (with consent obviously) so I had to fill in a personality questionnaire and give him access to my medical records concerning the pain relief I had in labour. I thought it was an interesting proposition and was disappointed not to find out the result.

One of the things I remember most was that when I needed stitching he called one of his female colleagues to help on the grounds that he couldn't appreciate how/where it might hurt and wanted her advice - I thought this was really sweet.

sobernow Tue 22-Feb-05 08:14:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

sobernow Tue 22-Feb-05 08:16:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

pupuce Tue 22-Feb-05 08:40:49

Pie had a lovely male midwife at Queen Charlotte (a glaswegian working on the Bank and living in Australia half the year)... he was VERY respectful and helpful. A great experience!
He had with Pie (and me) his first water birth in some 20 odd years of being a MW!

Ameriscot2005 Tue 22-Feb-05 08:48:43

I've experienced a not-so-good one

Tommy Tue 22-Feb-05 09:07:45

My sister had one for her DS1 (now 18!) and I know another one - never been "under" one though IYKWIM!!!!

coppertop Tue 22-Feb-05 09:25:55

The community MW I saw when pregnant with ds2 was fantastic. He respected my decisions when I decided I didn't want the triple test etc and always made sure I knew what my options were. He knew that it wasn't always easy for me to get to appointments and so was happy to let me have as few as I felt I needed. He was also very understanding when ds1 (autistic) used to howl the place down everytime he saw the blood-pressure meter thingy. He even called in to visit me in the delivery room just after ds2 was born as he'd just brought another mother in to the hospital. Ds2 was born early on a Sunday morning so I thought this was quite impressive.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now