Talk

Advanced search

Slow labour? Soooo fed up - any positive stories or just nice words?

(6 Posts)
waitingtobloom Sat 06-Sep-08 15:55:42

My last pregnancy was very similar in that I would have runs of mild contractions which would stop after a few hours (was actually in hospital once and they were registering quite high just not enough). My labour with DS started when I woke up in the morning with contractions every 5 minutes lasting about a minute but not strong enough to do anything - went on like that for hours and hours but wasnt dilating past 2 cm. Then suddenly they changed and he was out in 1.5 hours but thats another story lol.

This time around have had similar experience - runs of mild contractions which I just ignore as know this time they are not strong enough. Last night though I started getting pains 5 minutes apart and about a minute long. Certainly strong enough to make me sit up and notice but not strong enough to be in established labour. This carried on ALL night - was drifting in and out of sleep and they still kept coming. Stopped this morning when my DS got up (coincidence?).

Have had a few pains on and off today and generally feel exhausted and sick - but could be lack of proper nights sleep (lol whats one of those?!). What do you think - will it kick back off tonight? I know its just a waiting game but really want someone to say yes lol.

I am about 3 - 4 cm dilated but not effaced (but very soft) and have easily been swept. Have had a show over last few weeks and huge one last night (was quite in awe of it lol).

Please baby come on - I so want my homebirth and the very short staffed midwives are making a huge effort this weekend for me - head of midwifery is coming out for me if I go tonight apparently - how posh!!!!

Just need some hope - feel so crampy and tired and have had enough yet. Am 40+1 (know it could be a lot lot worse.

xxxxx

AllieBongo Sat 06-Sep-08 15:59:34

the best thing you can do is try and get some sleep if at all possbile. i had this with dd and they actually gave me something to make me sleep and i woke up 6 hours later a further 3cms on, and went straight to the delivery ward. it sucks, the waiting and stopping and starting

Skimty Sat 06-Sep-08 17:59:27

If it's any consolation I'm in exactly the same position. I actually came on here to look for any advice. I've been having runs of contractions for about a week now but it doesn't seem to quite click. Sick and tired of it now. I'm 38+1 and scared of two more weeks of this!

MiniMarmite Sat 06-Sep-08 19:28:28

Not sure if this helps or not but I had a similar labour and ended up being induced which threw my low risk birthing unit plan out of the window completely. The positive bit is that it was a much more positive experience than I thought it would be even though I didn't get to give birth where I wanted and in the way that I wanted.

I really hope you get your home birth though...good luck

flimflammum Sat 06-Sep-08 19:55:15

I'm not an expert, but all the signs seem good, like your body is doing warm-up contractions. Try if you can to get some rest and trust your body, let it take over.

Wishing you a beautiful birth ((()))

notsoteenagemum Sat 06-Sep-08 20:15:26

I had mildish contractions every night from day after DS was due until I was 41 weeks. They would stop about an hour after I got up in the morning. When they finally didn't stop I went to the hospital about 11 am and he was born at 1:42 in the morning the next day.
I had a lovely birth despite being long I only had gas and air which is what I wanted. I stuck to my guns over an episotomy and I didn't tear even though he was 9 and a half pounds.
Try and get as much rest as you can I used to get up have a bath and go back to bed. The end is in sight, I hope you have your home birth and good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now