Membrane sweeps....... New research?

(58 Posts)
StarlightMcKenzie Thu 04-Sep-08 15:24:12

Message withdrawn

CantSleepWontSleep Thu 04-Sep-08 15:33:14

Ooh that's interesting.
Hope it's true.

Brangelina Thu 04-Sep-08 15:40:51

Well, it worked for my 1st (and so far only) pregnancy.

StarlightMcKenzie Thu 04-Sep-08 15:41:35

Message withdrawn

Kelix Thu 04-Sep-08 15:42:10

I had 2 with DD (first) and it didnt make the slightest bit if difference. They did offer me a third (which I refused - thank god) about 30 mins before they told me my baby was breech and I was going to hav a c-section! Was 15 days after my due date so was relived tbh.

MW never suggested it may not be effective as it was my first child, if anything she made it out like I would be in labour within the hour!

mosschops30 Thu 04-Sep-08 15:43:02

I had 3 sweeps on my second pg - didnt work, was still induced so a load of pants IMHO

reikizen Thu 04-Sep-08 15:47:44

I'm not aware of anything (and I'm a soon to be 3rd yr student MW). I'd be interested to know about it though if you can get further info. Membrane sweeps are thought of as low intervention and my understanding is that the research shows us they can be effective. We don't know for sure why (as we don't really know why labour starts at all) but think it relates to the release of natural prostaglandins (the same as they think found in semen hence sex to start labour).
However, nothing is certain in this world with babies, especially first time around! Good luck.

tamarto Thu 04-Sep-08 15:51:00

I went into labour within 24 hours after a sweep with my second.

I had more than i care to recall with my third and eventually i went into labour, it was long loads longer than my previous two i often wonder did they have anything to do with it. The midwife at the time joked that dd had been swept out of me.

jadey24 Thu 04-Sep-08 16:03:21

I found it worked for me and it was my first baby. Labour began within a couple of hours but then i was already in the very very early stages

xxx

maxbear Thu 04-Sep-08 16:04:20

I thought it was the other way round, although I would say that if you are well overdue, there is a good chance of it working whichever number baby it is. It is true though that if you are completely and utterly nowhere near natural labour then a sweep won't help. The head has to be lowish and your body has to be at least a bit ready.

StarlightMcKenzie Thu 04-Sep-08 16:09:43

Message withdrawn

Nbg Thu 04-Sep-08 16:12:51

I had one with dc2 and 3.

DC2 was 10 days late and I was very desperate. I started labour 4 days after the sweep.

With dc3 I was told I wasnt favourable for the sweep at all and by that point I was already 8 days overdue.
Anyway, they did the sweep and I had ds that day grin

Notanexcitingname Thu 04-Sep-08 16:37:16

I thought research showed that sweeps are most effective if two are performed 48 hours apart.

But I'd agree, if you don't want fanjo-fiddling, don't have one (have a feeling one is less likely to be induced secondtime round, but not sure of that)

Lib76 Thu 04-Sep-08 17:34:38

i had sweep with posterior cervix 9 days over edd and went into labour in less than 48 hours! so worked for me ;-) would have no worries getting another should i need it.

StarlightMcKenzie Thu 04-Sep-08 19:17:58

Message withdrawn

Lib76 Thu 04-Sep-08 19:19:21

true true! it is a tad painful! ;-)

sambrads Thu 04-Sep-08 21:45:36

i jus know that if your offered a sweep its means you have went past your date and are on the long road to being induced

i so want to avoi going over my dates this time!!

with ds i got sweep it did nothing for me only cause me to bleed and very painful!!
doc said i was 1 cm dilated but still had to be induced 10 days after its so so hard and frustrating as i feel 9 months is hard enough

Wisknit Fri 05-Sep-08 07:27:28

I don't know what I think really.
DS1: had sweep, did bugger all.
DS2 had sweep around 11 in the morning then had vague twinges and started labour around 5 pm. He appeared 7 hours later.
BUT the midwife said she'd put money on the next 48 hours cos of the state of my cervix, so, was I ready anyway?

StarlightMcKenzie Fri 05-Sep-08 08:53:09

Message withdrawn

FrannyandZooey Fri 05-Sep-08 08:54:45

oh I love fanjo fiddling
gets me in labour - would rather have that than be induced or have c section

StarlightMcKenzie Fri 05-Sep-08 09:02:05

Message withdrawn

sambrads Fri 05-Sep-08 10:35:02

starlight im the same as you really want to go mlu again. you are only allowed to go there if you go into labour using 1 gel after that its labour ward all the way

also if you do go over and are induced then you are not classed as a priority as women who have went themselves get first preference to mlu and labour suite .

i think the sweep should defo be done as if i didnt i would think what if

lollipopmother Fri 05-Sep-08 12:52:56

I'm booked in for a sweep on Tues, I don't really have any thoughts on it because I don't really know what it entails. I've got a reflexology appointment tomorrow though so maybe I won't need the sweep, who knows!

Highlander Fri 05-Sep-08 14:47:48

it's not new (I knew about it in 2004). Can't remember the paper, I'm afraid. My friend took said paper to her midwife who was clueless.

StarlightMcKenzie Fri 05-Sep-08 17:21:36

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now