"Big" baby apparently - can I be induced or is it another cs for me?(10 Posts)
I'm sure this has been done to death, but help please?!
Baby (no.4) scanned at exactly 36 weeks as being just over 7.5 lbs. Sonographer freaked at the head size (35 cms) and the abdo size (35.5 cms) and immediately started mentioning another caesarean/urgent appt with consultant, etc.
Now bearing in mind I had a vbac last time (just over 9.5 lbs) and scans aren't meant to be that accurate, do you think that sounds a bit premature? I was kind of thinking that even if its accurate, thats another 9.5 lbs baby on the basis of another .5 lbs a week, which sounds fine. Or am I being unfair?
I've no problem having a cs if I absolutely have to, but would much prefer another vbac both for the birth itself and the recovery after. I suspect the consultant will be fine for me to do whatever I want (he has in the past), but could I be induced at all if I got near the due date?
Sorry for long post, its just the sonographer freaked me out and I'm not seeing the mw till next week!
Hmmm I would think maybe it was a bit much to freak about it. And those scans do seem to be bloody inaccurate.
afaik they don't like to induce you if you've had a previous cs, although if you've had a successful VBAC since it might be different.
sorry not to be more help, that's the only info I have!
inductions before you are showing any signs of labour do have a very high chance of ending up in an emergency c. section. Not sure how much of this is due to the induction process itself or how much is due to the effects of continous monitoring and lack of mobility.
I would see what the consultant says and postpone any final decision until nearer your due date
I think they worry about inductions if you previously has a section but I'm sure someone will be along shortly to say they've managed it.
Good luck by the way. I hope you get the birth you want. Best to chat to your consultant or midwife about an early induction
DS was on track to be 10lb+ but had to be induced at 37 weeks as I was poorly. He was still 8lb 4oz, very long and had to go straight into 0-3 clothes.
I'm hoping this one is smaller as my bump is tiny compared with last time.
DD measured that size (in weight, at least -- can't remember other measurements but they were all similar centile) at 36 weeks and was 8lb 15oz at full term, VBAC with no problems.
IME sonographers seem more worried about large babies than consultants. Sonographer at growth scan with DS told me consultant would probably want to induce at 38 weeks and definitely wouldn't let me go overdue (both rubbish). And sonographer at growth scan with DD sucked teeth and implied it would be very touch-and-go whether they'd let me have a VBAC with a baby that size (wasn't a problem at all with the consultant, who didn't even raise the size as an issue).
If you've VBACed one 9.5lb baby already I can't see any reason at all to go for an elective cs on the basis of those measurements.
Bad idea to induce for a VBAC -- massively increases chance of scar rupture. And statistically inducing because baby is large makes no difference to outcomes anyway (unless there is gestational diabetes or another complicating factor).
Thanks to all, sensible advice as always. I'm a bit annoyed at myself for having a wobble in confidence - I can't say the sonographer was unkind or unpleasant, but she was definitely panicky and I've spent so long building up my confidence after a horrible cs first time round!!!
I had a scan at 34 weeks and the sonographer warned us the baby was big. Her stomach was large and her head was.
Dd was 7lb 1oz when born with a 34cm head - Im not convinced that scans are that accurate for weight.
Join the discussion
Already registered? Log in with:
Please login first.