Talk

Advanced search

Help needed- how to get cervix ready at 37 weeks to avoid c-section

(12 Posts)
loulou33 Wed 03-Sep-08 17:29:53

I will be 37 weeks next friday and have been diagnosed as rhesus sensitised. This means that they want to deliver the baby by 37 weeks. I am seeing consultant on weds to see if cervix 'ripe enough' to try inducing. the complication is that i have had a previous section and he is only prepared to let me have one 'go' at induction and only if my cervix looks ripe enough at weds appointment.

So any suggestions on how to get cervix ripened by next week??

PS: I desparately don't want another c-section as i have a toddler at home and can't bear the thought of being so incapacitated for so many weeks. Also having trouble getting people to look after ds whilst in hosp so vbac would mean a shorter stay......

crokky Wed 03-Sep-08 17:33:04

I have been induced at 37 weeks twice for a different complication.

Anyway, with 1st baby, cervix not ready etc, really low bishops score. However, induction worked well and quickly. IMO it's not just how ready your cervix is, it's how your body is going to react to the drug (prostin). Why can't they try 2 or 3 doses of prostina dn then go to CS if it doesn't work?

Hackers79 Wed 03-Sep-08 18:28:39

sorry I'm not sure, but have you considered reflexology?

Good luck.

ajm200 Wed 03-Sep-08 18:37:10

I was induced at 37 weeks. My cervix was 1.5cm dilated and it still took 5 days and took ARM and a drip to get labour going.
The drugs they used for induction just didn't work for me but they did work really quickly for everyone else on the ward with me over that 5 days. Most mums were moved to L&D within hours.

According to homebirth.org putting evening primrose capsules behind the cervix at night can help but I'd be worried about introducing an infection.

You might have more luck with accupuncture and reflexology as there are points that can be stimulated to encourage contractions.

ThisTooWillPass Wed 03-Sep-08 18:43:12

Message withdrawn

loulou33 Wed 03-Sep-08 18:51:39

Thanks for your positive stories (hi again ajm, will post on ante-natal threas later when ds in bed)

Crokky they say they can't let me have more than 1 dose as the more of the drug they give, the more chance there is of the uturis contracting too much too quickly and therefore increases the risk of uterine rupture from previous c-section scar.

*this too will pass* i presume you mean evening primrose orally not sperm. Although i am prepared to try pretty much anything!!!

sadly i live in the wilderness and is long way from reflexologist/acupuncturist but will explore tomorrow.

Any other suggestions of websites i could visit would be great

mummytoasweetypie Wed 03-Sep-08 18:55:13

Sperm is most effective orally actually (fair enough if you don't tell OH!)

ajm200 Wed 03-Sep-08 18:56:44

loulou, I think crokky means both orally wink but I'm sure she'll confirm that for you.

ThisTooWillPass Wed 03-Sep-08 19:00:00

Message withdrawn

loulou33 Wed 03-Sep-08 19:09:12

Oh christ - never really liked that but maybe tmi for you all blush I'm sure you'll understand if i don't let you know how it goes!!

loulou33 Mon 08-Sep-08 19:03:47

Thank you all so much for your help . I have been to see consultant today and he has said cervix is soft and open enough to try induction on Weds - hoorah!! However, i think i may go into labour naturally before then as having lots of niggles over last 24 hours so fingers crossed

Thanks for all the advice - i think the evening primrose worked best and advice on acupressure from homebirth.org. website you recommended

BTW didn't try sperm - maybe later.....wink

ThisTooWillPass Tue 09-Sep-08 15:25:15

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now