Talk

Advanced search

Anyone had a successful breech vaginal birth?

(9 Posts)
Evelynsmum Tue 02-Sep-08 16:23:56

Baby is breech. I know there is still time for it to turn (I'm 31 weeks tomorrow) but I'm starting to get concerned. The possibility of a CS scares the hell out of me.

Talked to MW today and she thought a vaginal breech delivery was a possibility (this is DC2 and I had a successful vaginal delivery with DD) but in RL I haven't come across anyone who was successful. Anyone out there in MN land with a story to share...?

lulumama Tue 02-Sep-08 16:30:21

tangle has done ! search her story on here

also, i would google mary cronk who is the breech birth expert

great that this is your second baby, and your pelvis has been 'proven', a baby can pass through it.. so that is in your favour

also, there is plenty of time for baby to turn.. you should be offered ECV, you can also look at alternative solutions such as moxibustion

CantSleepWontSleep Tue 02-Sep-08 16:55:12

Friend of mine did a couple of weeks ago. Only took her 3 hours too (second child). Think it depends on the type of breech.

Really wouldn't worry yet though - ds was still breech at 31 weeks, and then turned 3 times before we got to 34 weeks! Now 36 weeks and he's still cepahlic - phew!

FiveGoMadInDorset Tue 02-Sep-08 17:07:09

A frind of mine did, she was insistent that she be allowed to have a go and the MW's were confident, it was her second baby.

Evelynsmum Tue 02-Sep-08 18:06:42

Thanks for your thoughts and stories. Its good to know that it is possible.

I'll check out Tangles story and look up Mary Cronk. I'll also check out Moxibustion which isn't something I've come across before. Thank god for Google.

MW said I shouldn't worry as there is still time for the baby to turn but I'm finding it hard. I have a bad case of white coat syndrome and the thought of major abdominal surgey is terrifying to me.

susie100 Tue 02-Sep-08 18:13:49

There is a poster on here called Tangle who had a footling breech at home with indie midwives. if you do a search on her name you will see some detailed posts from her.

All look at radical midwives on google and read about breech birth.
Good luck!

Tangle Tue 02-Sep-08 21:48:59

Hi - I'm the, seemingly infamous, Tangle and yes, I had a vaginal breech at home.

She was my first, 10 days past my EDD and weighed in at 9lb 12. It was a lovely, calm experience (following the Mary Cronk model of "hands off the breech") and I'd do it again tomorrow.

At 31 weeks you have got plenty of time and statistically your baby will most likely turn of its own accord - that said you sound like me, and I was glad I knew well in advance and had some thinking time. Two books I found very useful were "Breech Birth" by Benna Waites and "Breech Birth: What are my options". They're both very approachable and gave me a lot more information than I got from the registrar I saw at the hospital. The Benna Waites book also has a chapter on complementary ways to encourage your baby to turn.

Let me know if you can't find my story elsewhere, or if you have any questions

Evelynsmum Wed 03-Sep-08 20:32:52

Tangle, thankyou for your post. I'm hoping baby will turn and doing all I can to help. Your birth sounds like it went very well indeed and I'm hoping I'll be able to manage a natural delivery too. Thanks for the references I'll check them out much better to be informed...

Susie, thanks for your post too I've not come across radical midwives before so I'll check them out.

ShellieEvan Tue 09-Sep-08 12:54:12

Hello,

My first baby was breech, he is now 2 and a half years old.

We went to have him turned in the hospital a fex weeks before the birth, but he had already dropped so they could not try to turn him.

I had a vaginal breech delivery in the end, they monitor you more, check the baby more, and before hand they x-rayed my hips, pelvis and measured the baby etc, to make sure he would fit. We did have a few doctors around the bed, just in case there were any problems, but it went fine.

I had an epidural in my spine, felt no pain, waited until I was fully dialated and then pushed for about 10 mins max, one doctor was sat on my bed pushing her elbows on my tummy to help push the baby out, and then he popped out !

I am pregnant again now, 34 weeks, she was breech too up until yesterday, I had a scan and she turned, but last night she turned back again, for some reason they just like being breech inside my tummy.

I must admit though, I hope she turns, purley because with my first son being breech, they did cut me a lot, so it took a few weeks to heal, I would prefer not to have to have that done again...but if needs must, if it's safer for the baby then obviously I would have it done again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now