Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

So upset about my care, can I please vent?

(12 Posts)
sherbetdipdab Thu 28-Aug-08 15:36:09

I had my daughter on monday by elective section, it all went well and the staff made it feel very special and we are very happy with my care but post natally it all went wrong and I'm so upset and an't forget about it.

I got up the day after my section and tended to my baby etc, then at 8am right underneath our room they started drilling, hammering etc, the baby's cot was literally vibrating and this went on all morning, when I asked about it the staff just shrugged and said there was nothing they could do about it.

Another consultant came in on the ward round and decided to do the opposite from what my planned care had been, when I asked why she told me to let her make the decisions and stormed out.

I phoned DH in tears, they wouldn't let him come up until visiting at 12.30 but I insisted he come and he did. He couldn't beleive the noise, we couldn't even here each other talking.

We decided that I would be better at home so I asked to sign myslef out. I hadn't seen a midwife all day or night so its not like they were helping me.

Luckily my own consultant was contacted and he came up, checked me over and allowed me home saying he wouldn't want to stay there either.

I am so so upset about it though, I have got my notes at home and what the staff have written just isn't true.

Its just spoiling my first days with my new daughter and I have no-one to talk to.

Sorry for venting, I know it probably is all unreasonable of me but I'm really disappointed sad

sherbetdipdab Thu 28-Aug-08 15:37:21

Sorry for spelling etc sad

VinegarTits Thu 28-Aug-08 15:43:40

Not unreasonable at all, sounds like a nightmare, at least your home now and can have peace and quiet, dont let it spoil your precious first few days, put it to the back of your mind and mark it with a 'to do' so when you are feeling stronger you can write a letter of complaint to the hospital.

Congratulations smile

funnypeculiar Thu 28-Aug-08 15:48:39

Agree with vinegartits - it sounds really foul. Although you sound like you were very strong and managed it as well as you could have done. I know just what you mean about the hospital notes - there is a little comment in mine that still makes my blood boil ( 4.5 years on!)

But the thing to do now, is to take a deep breath, & enjoy the rest of your life with your daughter smile

Then, when you're calmer and relaxed, write a kick-arse letter so the hospital can learn.

VinegarTits Thu 28-Aug-08 16:50:23

Hope your feeling better for venting? sounds like an awful start for you.

lauraloola Thu 28-Aug-08 18:19:52

Congratulations on your daughter x

I would write a letter of complaint to the Director of the hospital and the head of their govenors.

That sort of care is not good enough. Luckily you are home now so you can start enjoying your lo x

Lib76 Thu 28-Aug-08 19:14:47

sherbetdipdap!
you poor sole it was the RAH wasn't it? i thought all the work would be over! the same happend to me, drilling banging etc. when my consultant came to see me he said it was awful that it was so loud nad he was happy for me to go home on tues having had emergency section early hours of sun.

which ward where you in? i found the staff good on the ward, but i guess it just depends on the shifts!

i didn't even think to mention to you that there was renovations going on as i thought the worst would be over!

feel free to rant to me as much as you like as we can compare notes.

btw, congragulations on the birth of DD! hope you are both ok. xx

sherbetdipdab Thu 28-Aug-08 20:53:06

Hi, I my milk came in today and we are now day 3, so its also baby blues I think sad

The drilling was awful and the staff were so rude about it. All I wanted was a sleep and poor Lucy was really disturbed with it too. The staff were on the whole fine, it was ward 31, I think I got their backs up by asking about the noise and got labelled a "problem patient" and then every word I said was recorded in my notes in case I complain.

The section itself was fine and the recovery care in the labour ward was fantastic too, the staff couldn't have been nicer, it was just in the ward.

I feel so sad about it, also I was convinced there was something wrong with Lucy and was too frightened to ask the staff sad I'm feeling so stressed and overwhelmed and to top it all my MIL is arriving tomorrow despite me saying repeatedly throughout my pregnancy that I wasn't having that this time. She doesn't help and just critisices me and expects to be waited on and I just cannot face it sad

On the good side, Lucy is lovely.

Lib76 Thu 28-Aug-08 21:04:00

oh you poor lamb! i know how you feel with the MIL, min came in wk 3 for 5 nights and i think i cried the whole time.

i was in ward 31 too. like you labour ward utterly brill. when i was in ward the whole toilet flooded and i had to move to other side of room as the water poured everywhere! i have just remebered that!!

it is such early days and you do go over and over it all, i still do!

who was your consultant again?

also remember that the painkillers that you get for section are very string and wuill make you feel a bit spaced along with everthing else.

Glad Lucy is doing well.

please keep in touch. x

Lib76 Thu 28-Aug-08 21:05:49

have just seen all my spelling mistakes!! mummy brain!! ;-)

sherbetdipdab Thu 28-Aug-08 21:12:14

Thanks Lib, I was under Dr Quinn, he was really nice. The midwives were going on at me about how I shouldn't go home as I had to make the baby my priority etc and Dr Quinn came up and said you seem fine you can go home, no need to sign yourself out.

I am still going over it a lot, also the fact that I feel like I rejected the baby for the first while, I couldn't even look at her then I spent nearly all night staring at her trying to make myself love her. I love her to bits now, but I was really worried but didn't want to disturb the midwives about it.

Must go as the little lady wants feeding, thanks for being so nice about it smile I'm relieved to hear it wasn't just me, although I'm sad other people found the same thing.

Lib76 Thu 28-Aug-08 21:21:48

you know the best for you is to go home if your consultant gives you the ok. My consultant Dr Hair was just ace! i just said to him i was missing dh so much and would be better at home what with noise etc and he totally agreed, i think that i am a nurse he knew i wasn't going to do anything silly. the midwives thought i should stay another night but no way...needed decent food!!

take care. hope tomorrow goes ok. always here to chat. ;-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now